Civ V

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
I have played the game for several hours this afternoon and after getting incredibly bored with the training tutorial as it wouldn't let me kill one of my allies (I knocked him down and then my Catapults proved ineffective - game forces you to not kill allies when training? :p).

I then started a normal game, actually understanding the basics of growth and exploration and after a couple of hours (I think) I was still too unprogressed to have any battles and just found it far too slow to get going and unrewarding on the process to advance through the game.

I think that it shall retire and sit in my game drawer, until I need a coaster, whereby it will come back and have its use.

Anyone else as dissapointed as me? I would like to comment I have never played a Civ game before so this is not a gripe in relation to others in the series, I'm sure Civ lovers find it awesome, but my above question is posed to those who have this as their first Civ experience?

This is my first Civ experience but I've played turn based strategy games before now. Napoleon Total War is exactly the same idea but has nowhere near the amount of depth Civ provides.

I, too, found it handy to think of it like "ticks" rather than turns.

I'm usually far more into games like Age of Empires, Command and Conquer, etc, but I do appreciate the vast number of possibilities in Civ V.

I will say one thing I am slightly dissapointed by and that is the graphics. They're "nice" - But nowhere near as good as the likes of Anno. I'm running the game on high settings for everything but still don't think it looks all that impressive (that said, the game has a lot more depth than the likes of Anno, having spectacular graphics is probably asking too much)

You need a really, really open mind with a game like Civ, because the turn based gameplay is so vastly different to the fluidity of a real time strategy game.

alwaysnumb

Head Gardener
I loved all civ games especially civ2 but not having civ5 have made me dig out and playciv4 again. Love playing it on small world with 17 other civs in quick mode. That way theres not much time to start before your 1st war then its constant till you either get ganged up on and lose or become powerfull enough to destroy or make them all vassal states.

Alvestein

Garden Designer
tbh i got really tired of wars in civ4. they're really really tiring. just like real wars! :D

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Indescribably awesome game so far. Got it 2 hours ago, have only popped out of the game now to write this quick OMGOMGOMGOMGFANBOISCREAM and to pee of course. Can't forget redbull and smokes! RAWR!

Sid Meier ftw!

MattM

Tree Surgeon
Community Operator
I think this game is brilliant. The new battle dynamics make it much more realistic and challenging.

I am finding the AI are a bit poorly designed to be fair; they're very fickle in their attitude and tend to favour war over any other course.

LAFiN

Tree Surgeon
I've played a few games with different societies, going after different goals with different game lengths.

So far my conclusion is that it seems impossible to get enough culture to finish 5 of the policies before 2050 in a quick game.

I've also noted the AI are constantly at war (mostly with each other), but that could be that I've been playing in the 3rd/4th easiest settings to get a hang of the changes.

I'm finding city-states to be quite annoying as well. They are always in need of something and their messages keep repeating.

Overall, I think it's an awesome improvement. I love how you can't stack units. The Giant Death Robot is quite awesome, and I even got a few gifted to me from a city-state I freed after conquering England.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
I've just finished one game; as the Germans obviously. Their ability to gain a unit when conquering Barbarian settlements is epic win. Early expansion is a cinch when you have so many "free" units.

The new combat system is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Makes the game far more challenging and a lot more interesting since you can't just stack units and steam roller across the continent. Also I found that it was far more awesome to build a set of units that complement each other and use that one "army" if you will to attack and control one civ at a time.

I have also found the Civs to be unusually hostile; but tbh, that's not any different from the average Civ game iirc. They always seem to prefer outright hostility at a certain point, rather than any of the other options.

Although once i started kicking their ass, the peace offers came thick and fast.

City states are pretty win. They add a nice further dimension; although I found the lack of variety in their missions to be fairly boring. In fact, after a while I just kept ignoring them.

City states have contributed quite wonderfully to my war effort though; for example about 30 turns in, I had met two city states (Helsinki and Budapest), and two civs (Rome and Russia). Rome was the biggest civ by far, with me second, Russia third, and ofc the city states with just the one city each. I created secret pacts with both city states, and gifted them 3 units each (of brutes/warriors i got from Barbarian encampment conquerings) and they waged war against Russia, while I was allied with Russia, working against the Romans. Then ofc, once the Romans died, I (and my now officially) allied city states performed the good ole mass bash raping of Russia. Then I controlled an entire continent and the game was as good as won! Poor England and Japan had no chance to fight me off! Indomitable armies with Carriers (bombers FTW); Battleships to wreck coastal units/cities... Nukes to crush the economy and Mechanized Infantry to perform the ass kicking on the ground! Always send artillery too to soften up the enemy :D

This game is epic.

My favourite change I think is that which permits units to cross water on their own (Amphibious tech) or w/e it is. That makes water based maps FAR more fun imo, and makes it considerably easier to keep the wars rolling once the game gets into later game stage instead of stalling as you get an invasion fleet prepared.

Overall? Epic win.

atsanjose

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
currently finisched a game on prince mode in arround 1500ad after getting budraped a few times first :D

now iam playing another one which looks to be going pretty even.

just have to make sure i stay friends with my two maritieme citystates :D

and now iam in a war with 2 people, one big and one that i decimated earlier :p

iam mostly playing on a small map against 3 others, the annoying part about that is that you mostly get spawned on a silly location like in the middle of a forrest or adjuncted to tundra -_-

alwaysnumb

Head Gardener
no all the messages you get all the time and the way the next turn button changes to something important like orders,research,constructions why not just zoom straight to the thing that needs doing.

The one good thing is the lack of religion never liked having to change in civ4 to organised religion just so I can make missionaries to spread lies around my cities.