Super Moderator
Community Operator
Anyone playing the open beta? Thoughts?

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Update.

Mouse lag is insane. Some internet browsage reveals the mouse is synced to your frame rate. I've got a quad core 2.4ghz processor, 2gigs RAM, an ATI HD radeon 4850, and I'm still getting poor frame rates in the home town.

Really unimpressed considering the graphics are far from amazing - I can run most modern games on med-high settings but XIV is demanding better of my spec to run on even modest settings. Shocking considering the game isn't aimed at "hardcore" MMO players, rather "casual" gamers. What casual/semi-serious PC gamer has a really expensive rig?!

Thus I've given up on the beta after a mere 40 mins or so - Walking around the main town was just unbearable.

Negatives:

• Crap frame rate despite having decent system specs
  • Extremely poor guidance from the word go - Complex quest system that gives little/no direction
  • Servers clearly aren't up to scratch - Given Square Enix already have an MMO you'd think they'd know how to keep their new one up and running
  • Character creation - Extremely limited. Only a few templates for each feature - there is much better out there in terms of CC.
  • Oh - and as with the last FF MMO - Place names are ridiculous. Why does every fantasy-genre game have to have apostrophes in the title. Ul'Dah, n so on and so forth. I find it quite nauseating :(

Last edited:

Mattheus

Head Gardener
I've lost faith in FF since I played FF13. Seriously that was pretty bad.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
Oh - and as with the last FF MMO - Place names are ridiculous. Why does every fantasy-genre game have to have apostrophes in the title. Ul'Dah, n so on and so forth. I find it quite nauseating :(

This is something I totally agree with when it comes to games and films. There is absolutely no reason for it, other than to make sure we're all totally aware this is not of this earth. Like we couldn't work that out ourselves from names like FINAL FANTASY or STAR WARS.

Dimitar

Landscape Designer
Oh - and as with the last FF MMO - Place names are ridiculous. Why does every fantasy-genre game have to have apostrophes in the title. Ul'Dah, n so on and so forth. I find it quite nauseating :(

This is something I totally agree with when it comes to games and films. There is absolutely no reason for it, other than to make sure we're all totally aware this is not of this earth. Like we couldn't work that out ourselves from names like FINAL FANTASY or STAR WARS.

sounds a bit french too