Strange Laptop problem!

Jimbo2189

Pruner
My laptop is being a bit weird, it takes exactly 4 times to turn on everytime - but needs the power cable to do so - if its running on battery it take about 5-10 times. Ive tried rebooting but doesnt really help (it does for about a week or so), and it has been doing this for the past two months! The laptop is a couple of years old, and the fan is broken (and has been for about a year) but apart from that its in good nick - i hardly store anything on it.

anyway if anyone could help that would be great as it's getting ****ing tedious!!!

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Is it possible the fan which is supposed to be cooling your Computer is broken, and so it shuts down?

Tis the first thing that comes to my mind. I'm not all that knowledgeable but the fan seems relatively important to me.

Dimitar

Landscape Designer
Sounds right to me, remember it's summer now, so cooling is tougher - that might be why it hadn't been a problem so far.

Jimbo2189

Pruner
i might be - but it only happens when i turn it on after i have shut down the laptop - meaning it is cold when i turn it on! if i force a shutdown then it sometimes turns on first time. its very wierd.

I dont think it has anything to do with the fan as 1)my laptop never actually gets that hot and 2)the fan broke ages before this phenomina started!! lol

Jimbo2189

Pruner
and also, when i say it doesnt turn on, it freezes at various points in the start up.

the first freeze is when the screen says the computer make and model, then freezes on that- then i force the shut down.
the second - it gets past that but then the screen goes blank and then nothing happens.
The third - it gets to the loading of windows vista - but doesnt get though it
Then after that forced shutdown it goes all the way!

Alvestein

Garden Designer
sounds like a power problem. might be a problem with your AC adapter.
i had a similar problem on my old pc a few days ago where it kept freezing over and over again , wouldnt get past the model logo screen. i basically left it the night off and it was fine the next morning but i doubt that will work with your laptop.