• Those wishing to contribute to the game by making suggestions (both small and large) should read the following before doing so.

Bushtarion largely runs completely automatically, and has been designed intentionally to be as self-maintaining as possible, with mechanics and balance considered at a completed point.

Please do not spend large amounts of time coming up with complex suggestions in the hope that they will be read and possibly implemented in the future, unless you just enjoy the discussion, theory-craft, and such.

The most likely changes will be rules-changes, specific number-tweaks to units, techs, and similar sorts of changes, and only if a large community consensus is reached as "proof" that a change would, overall, be an improvement, and are more likely to be done in batches, occassionally, not as a regular thing.

Nerf Tractors/Combines

Steve_God

Official Helper
Tractors/Combines already give a higher ETA disadvantage. Maybe not quite enough...
Perhaps giving them a +1 or +2 additional ETA to their current stats may weigh up the balance?

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Tractors/Combines already give a higher ETA disadvantage. Maybe not quite enough...
Perhaps giving them a +1 or +2 additional ETA to their current stats may weigh up the balance?

The only problem i see with that is if someone in the rank 1 ally has 600m tractors then it doesn't really make a huge difference if you have another 20 minutes. Nerf the unit, not the mechanic.

Cyrus

Official Helper
Community Operator
Changing CDs back to a Tractor killer is a horrible idea.

CD are useless as they are atm returning them to have a purpose would make sense, i dont know why tractors have ever been so difficult to kill. making them weaker is definately needed

Ezekiel

Harvester
You can't make tractors weaker. The whole point of them is that when mr joe average gets raped over night because he's solo and not ftw, he can still plant and grow because tractors/harvs have great survivability. Putting their armour down removes the reason the unit was created in the first place. I stick to my guns sayin the easiest way to fix it is just makes sure every route has a unit with a bonus against tractors. What's wrong with that?

ZigZag

Harvester
Y I stick to my guns sayin the easiest way to fix it is just makes sure every route has a unit with a bonus against tractors. What's wrong with that?

Then what would be there purpose if every route had a tractor killer?

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
You can't make tractors weaker. The whole point of them is that when mr joe average gets raped over night because he's solo and not ftw, he can still plant and grow because tractors/harvs have great survivability. Putting their armour down removes the reason the unit was created in the first place. I stick to my guns sayin the easiest way to fix it is just makes sure every route has a unit with a bonus against tractors. What's wrong with that?

Sure, you could add a tractor killer to every route essentially nerfing the tractor but without editing the tractors stats themselves, OR you could completely bypass all that bollocks and just nerf the tractor. Its a lot easier.

deathscythe

Weeder
cant we just imply a nerf such as when tractors/combines are attacking their armour is decreased by say 50%?
it kills the offensive ability but wont make them useless on having a few around for the solos

Ezekiel

Harvester
Did no one get my point?

Look. We're saying tractors are a problem when used as flak (ie when they are on attack). The first obvious thin is es, reduce their armour. But then tractors become COMPLETLY pointless, as they would loose a massive chunk of their surviveabilty, which the reason they were put in the game, to make sure stuff still grows and you can still plant when you log on after being attacked. So reducing their armour is stupid.

By adding a vs Generic armour bonus to one unit in each route, you give every the abilty to defend a lot mor easily against them, but at the same time, leave them likely to survive while at home(ie on defence). If you add the bonus to a tier one or two unit, the chances of people killing tractors that at at home on defense is low, because massing tier one and two units for attacks is less common.

That's the fairest way I see. 'bypassing all that bollocks ( adding on bonus to one unit, hardly that much effort :/) just leaves other problems.

Iamsmart

Landscape Designer
Insurance already takes care of that. You have no valid argument, sir.

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
If you add the bonus to a tier one or two unit, the chances of people killing tractors that at at home on defense is low, because massing tier one and two units for attacks is less common.

Am i the only one that thinks you've seen your argument is backwards and don't want to admit it... ;P

If people don't have the units to send on attacks then how are they using them to defend...if i had the units anyway for defence and they'd do some damage i'd definitely send them!

Or am i missing something??

Ezekiel

Harvester
Insurance already takes care of that. You have no valid argument, sir.

Rofl, I don't want money, I want my tractors/combInes to stay alive and carry over night and carry on harvesting. That's what they are there for.

Iamsmart

Landscape Designer
Killing basic units returns those basic units. You have no valid argument, sir.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
I don't think you should add another bonus to individual units. That is the worst method of fixing ingame problems and it is not the solution i think we should be looking for. I would vastly prefer a genuinely balanced unit, rather than a bonus added to 'fix' the balance. Adding a unit bonus is an idea we shouldn't even be considering imho. We should be trying to phase OUT unit bonuses, not bring more in. Unit bonuses do not a balanced game, make.

You don't need to make tractors completely vulnerable anymore, but a slight reduction in their armour is not a bad thing. As it is, tractors/Combines usually survive the average attack anyways, with a slight reduction i'm sure it would be fine. You might have to buy a few more than usual but you would definitely be able to harvest even after being killed.

Ezekiel: As regards your problem of harvesting after being killed, firstly you get injuries on your gards/harvs so that shouldn't be a problem, especially if you have more than enough harvs to start with (which you should for layered flak attacks) so while you might lose a few ticks worth of income, you'll get the income in a coupla hours. Secondly, it might be possible to turn combines into a unit which gets injuries, rather than insurance. I think that would be vastly preferable imo.

If you add the bonus to a tier one or two unit, the chances of people killing tractors that at at home on defense is low, because massing tier one and two units for attacks is less common.

Bullshit. People generally don't send basics on attacks because they (only in some circumstances) are very useful, but if you had a basic unit that had a huge AD bonus, i would most certainly use it, even if it only targetted INN. Bad idea, 100 thumbs down.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
Adding unit bonuses is a very sloppy way to deal with balance issues. Just making tractors weaker is so much easier.

I understand you want your COMBINES to survive overnight, Ezekiel, but most people don't use combines as flak. The issue here is TRACTORS. Unless you are planting whilst asleep I really don't see why you desperately need your tractors to survive. You can buy them back with insurance in the morning.

deathscythe

Weeder
cant we just imply a nerf such as when tractors/combines are attacking their armour is decreased by say 50%?
it kills the offensive ability but wont make them useless on having a few around for the solos

seeing its a small post on last page i thought i'd qoute it

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Adding unit bonuses is a very sloppy way to deal with balance issues. Just making tractors weaker is so much easier.

I understand you want your COMBINES to survive overnight, Ezekiel, but most people don't use combines as flak. The issue here is TRACTORS. Unless you are planting whilst asleep I really don't see why you desperately need your tractors to survive. You can buy them back with insurance in the morning.

Lol win.

The only reason i don't like it is it smacks of 'unit bonus' to me, more like a unit 'negative bonus' but it's similar. As toby said, it's a sloppy way to deal with the problem.

Iamsmart

Landscape Designer
Toby, I'm assuming tractors/combines have the same stats. If tractors are nerfed without combines, they will just be used. As has been said previously, the people who mass tractors won't mind the extra 20 minutes.

Tbh, the more I think about it, the more it becomes clear that tractors/combines don't have much of a purpose anymore. Remove 'em and move on.