Forums aren't what they use to be

xvi

Harvester
Well my last thread got shot down in the middle of a VERY intellectual conversation by a newb Mod...So, i wanna gripe about how dreadfully boring the Forums have been this round and last. Helloooo? If we are a community then we should all join Epic Fail.

I am making an official gripe about how forums are boring.....oh, yeah, and irc is slow and nobody is on anymore. Hmmmmmmm, how about bringing some excitement back? Everyone in the community either wants to quit or is finding the courage. I want to but, alas, I have no courage. My grandfather use to say, "You gotta do something, it don't matter what, but do something". Can we get something?

CrimsonFury88

Harvester
Some of the dead-wood needs to leave.

You know, the players that have played FTW every round for the past 30 rounds?

Getting stagnant. Give somebody else a chance.

CrimsonFury88

Harvester
Great idea Crimson; even less players; that will solve it all !

Perhaps more people would be inclined to play if Lieutenant Scorequeen, his best friend Sergeant Active and thier army of Contactable Colonel's weren't here. People might stick around and give the game a fair crack.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
ROFL. You do talk some utter ****, Crimson.

Yeah, lets boot all the committed, active, competent players which are keeping the game alive and let some of the inactive people who don't care win! MAKES SENSE TO ME! If all the active players left what do YOU think would happen?

I don't know what you've got against active players. Maybe a pro gamer once ran over your dog or something. I don't know. But it seems that every one of your posts is trying to get Azzer to ban them or something.

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer
Some of the dead-wood needs to leave.

You know, the players that have played FTW every round for the past 30 rounds?

Getting stagnant. Give somebody else a chance.

Lol.
You don't know much about bush History do you?
Think very carefuly before you reply to this because i can give you a lesson if you like.

CrimsonFury88

Harvester
ROFL. You do talk some utter ****, Crimson.

Yeah, lets boot all the committed, active, competent players which are keeping the game alive and let some of the inactive people who don't care win! MAKES SENSE TO ME! If all the active players left what do YOU think would happen?

I don't know what you've got against active players. Maybe a pro gamer once ran over your dog or something. I don't know. But it seems that every one of your posts is trying to get Azzer to ban them or something.

Not at all.

If you took your FTW-tinted-spectacles off, you'd see it differently.

You all moan about there being no competition - because you choke the life out of the game.

There might not be a "power-block" anymore, but in it's place there is an "activity-block", or a "contactability-block".

The game used to be built on the principle of building a suitable alliance to fight a war across 24hour periods, where you'd need people from all time zones to cover the alliance for incomings.

What do we have now? We have alliances that just bundle "over-active", "ftw" and "skilled" players in, take their phone numbers, and call them at all hours of the day to get them online. Yes, this used to happen once upon a time - but not to the extent it does now.

If you want "competition", relinquish your over-active strangle-hold on the game.

Oh wait, I forgot -- you have to win every round...

CFalcon

Official Helper
Back to the thread title:

The forums are no fun any more because people take *everything* so so personally. It's impossible to have a good debate any more.

I can remember debates on the old forums running into 20-30 pages before grinding down to flame fests. These days it's difficult to even manage one page before someone assumes that the person they are debating with is actively gunning for their blood.

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer
I can remember debates on the old forums running into 20-30 pages before grinding down to flame fests. These days it's difficult to even manage one page.

I don't, mod's just didnt used to delete them fast enough!
Forums arn't what they used to be because many of the big characters have been banned from using them, or left.

You wont get a real proper debate when you have lost the people who used to create and contribute to the best ones: Blackwolf, Sordes, Azzer.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
By the way you talk you almost convinced me that I play ftw every round, but I don't. In fact this is the first round I consciously made the decision to play to win. You ask me to take off my "FTW-tinted-spectacles" as if I've never played in an alliance which wasn't ZOMGFTW. Take a moment to get to you know the person you're talking to before saying that sort of generalised statement.

The lack of competition is not because of people "choking the life out of the game". It's because good players are leaving. The way to counter this is either to get more active players in, or for some of the players we already have to step up to the plate.

And you say we should become less active to encourage competition. Why? So less active and "skilled" players can win? Maybe they should get better at the game instead. Otherwise we're just going to make the game LESS competitive instead.

If players want to win, they have to be active. That is not something which has sprung up in the last couple of rounds. It's been that way since day 1.

And I don't play the game just to win. Most rounds I join alliances with friends to have fun and kill people. It's called fun. Try it instead of moaning about how other people like to play the game.

Hobbezak

Garden Designer
Maybe the forums would be more interesting if people like Crimson didn't go around telling everybody what to do, how to play the game, and how to act on forums and on irc.
Sure, toby, alci and friends can be negative nancies, and sure, some of the "1337" players tend to be rather agressive to stupid suggestions, but seriously, who are you to tell them what they can or can't say.
I have seriously not seen any constructive post by you, only whining and whinging about how toby and alci make replies you don't like, or how the FTW crew always defend each other and don't give you a chance.

Oh and yeah, now I'm telling you how to act on forums, sorry for the hypocrisy. :(

/end rant.

PS: I'm also not a part of the toby/alci fanclub, my club is a lot cooler (and toby knows ^^).

CrimsonFury88

Harvester
Maybe the forums would be more interesting if people like Crimson didn't go around telling everybody what to do, how to play the game, and how to act on forums and on irc.
Sure, toby, alci and friends can be negative nancies, and sure, some of the "1337" players tend to be rather agressive to stupid suggestions, but seriously, who are you to tell them what they can or can't say.
I have seriously not seen any constructive post by you, only whining and whinging about how toby and alci make replies you don't like, or how the FTW crew always defend each other and don't give you a chance.

Oh and yeah, now I'm telling you how to act on forums, sorry for the hypocrisy. :(

/end rant.

PS: I'm also not a part of the toby/alci fanclub, my club is a lot cooler (and toby knows ^^).

Nice generalisations there.

You've just dis-credited everything I've ever posted on here. Thanks for that Hobbe. You're a real trooper.

I'm not "telling people how to play the game", I'm stating my opinion. My opinion is something I'm entitled to, as everyone else is entitled to theirs. People moan about why there is no competition, I gave a perspective from somebody that by no means plays this game to finish in the top ranks.

Has anybody considered the fact that there is too much hostility on here? I agree with what was said earlier, people take things too seriously, or try to be "funny".

Take your good friend tobapopalos (to name but one). Rather than be helpful, or give useful answers - he storms in with the sarcasm, the attempted humour in a bid to ridicule.

Charming.

EDIT: I had an issue with one thing alci said to me, which I spoke to him about in PM. Stop making generalisations based on one instance.

Hobbezak

Garden Designer
No, this is not the case, the forums have ALWAYS been this hostile since I've been actively on here, which is since round 11.
It's a wargame, people lose troops, people do nasty things to win, the people on the losing end will complain on here.
It's a multiplayer game, there will always be people who dislike eachother.
I even remember from the time when I was new, that the hostility on these forums often ended up in hostility ingame ("I'll give 5 bc's for the id of player X" or "5 bc for anyone who kills player Y"). Or who, from that time, doesn't remember the personal vendetta of Timster, Leebot and Ertz vs Cheese, which also was reason enough for a small flamewar on forums? It's in man's nature to romanticise the past apparently. :)

And on the subject of you, I only read threads which seem interesting, and whenever your name appears, I can just start ignoring the thread, because it tends to go all flamewar on the 1337 circle, or on people who play actively. A short search gives me the following threads:
http://www.bushtarion.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3640
http://www.bushtarion.com/forums/showpost.php?p=50186&postcount=6
http://www.bushtarion.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3813
http://www.bushtarion.com/forums/showthread.php?p=51929#post51929
I do not read all threads, so I said "I have not seen you make", not "all the posts you make".

Oh and toby is hardly my friend, I don't think we had a normal chat ( longer than 5 minutes, not ending in a discussion) since I left his ally 2 rounds ago. ;)

CrimsonFury88

Harvester

It disturbs me immensely that you went to such an effort to try and make me look bad.

Cheers again Hobbe. You're a real gem.

The first thread was light hearted. If it turned into a flame war, it was a result of other people inciting and trying to provoke.
The second link was again, light hearted. It was no worse, or no better than Alci's post. So why take a dig at me?
The third was a point I deemed valid, and again, it declined into flaming because the usual suspects wandered in and started disrespecting my opinion and plea for some clarification.
The fourth was my opinion. I'm sure I'm not alone.

You target me for this, in threads that are full of flaming from people beyond myself.

So shall we start a gripe to moan about everyone who is guilty of participating, rather than separating me from the others with this?