• Those wishing to contribute to the game by making suggestions (both small and large) should read the following before doing so.

Bushtarion largely runs completely automatically, and has been designed intentionally to be as self-maintaining as possible, with mechanics and balance considered at a completed point.

Please do not spend large amounts of time coming up with complex suggestions in the hope that they will be read and possibly implemented in the future, unless you just enjoy the discussion, theory-craft, and such.

The most likely changes will be rules-changes, specific number-tweaks to units, techs, and similar sorts of changes, and only if a large community consensus is reached as "proof" that a change would, overall, be an improvement, and are more likely to be done in batches, occassionally, not as a regular thing.

Sleep Mode

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
Somehow I don't think being contactable is easier than using sleep mode. How often does a solo in sleep mode get pranked to send defence? :p

Hobbezak

Garden Designer
If i was to choose between playing in a top alliance or solo i know which option it's more comfortable and less activity demanding while in the same time will give me a higher score :)
You can hardly compare solo play to top alliance. ;)
You can however compare sleep to contactibility in case 1: top ally, case 2: solo play.

In a top alliance, it's easier to hit sleep than be contactable. You can easily prevent the landrape by getting your ally mates to send preventive defence over all ticks (We did this in STN to addicted a few times), making this person invulnerable and at the same time not losing any score. He loses his income during this time tho, this is true.

And when you have active pnaps with routes which support eachother, you can do the same as a solo (since overwhelming force can't be used).

No offence, but sleepmode can be made completely indestructible (as we did in the addicted example), whereas getting pranked every hour during your sleep will get old really fast.

lillie

Harvester
I think you have to remember there are so many different levels of play in here..
FTW FTL and even For the Hell of it,not everyone plays in the top 100

Yes there is insurance and injuries but AR is no real help against land farming.
Poor Azzer will never satisfy us all whatever he does.

Maybe ask why alliance people use sleep mode so much after all its not just us solo`s that use it.

As for 3ticks activity then sleep mode,hell if you can play the game that well to get anywhere...go for it :/ of course you can always try to catch them cant you ?

Also why is it so wrong that someone is online to fight, I personally would rather be online its much more fun to interact with the game during a battle and sometimes have a convo with attacker,there is actually some really nice guys and gals out there.

Dafydd

Pruner
I use sleep on occassion.

I don't care about land - or my units - I'm Puppets so I simply care about the troops I have bribed. I have yet to et something which makes me hard to kill, right now anyone from RPG to Robo can pwn me without takin losses. Flakin the puppets don't do much good and pupets themselves fire so late, i'm completely defenceless.

I will continue to use sleep until such a time as I can put up a fight and provide some resistance, until then it's not worth me 'risking' my troops when there are 4-5 players who know my id / that i'm solo, and every morning I get 25 news, mainly scans from the same players who've tried to hit me, triggered AR and decided to try again the following night - so YES I'm going to use sleep until I can fight back.

Why would I not use sleep when I know that tonight, the same guy will send again?

Davs

Garden Designer
Solo players got nerfed too much - sleepmode is the only reasonable option to not get zeroed and landraped every other night.

I find that hard to believe. I'm playing solo this round, I don't get zeroed an obscene amount and the only old feature of playing solo I miss is the -1 ETA on the return leg. I have absolutely no reason to consider using sleep mode as a means of keeping the game fun.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Solo players got nerfed too much - sleepmode is the only reasonable option to not get zeroed and landraped every other night.

I find that hard to believe. I'm playing solo this round, I don't get zeroed an obscene amount and the only old feature of playing solo I miss is the -1 ETA on the return leg. I have absolutely no reason to consider using sleep mode as a means of keeping the game fun.

Indeed, I get zeroed every few days once my AR drops enough but with insurance/plants I can rebuild to a decent army and get some use in if i want while having pretty much total invulnerability due to AR.

But I like rebuilding, since i think it's fun. I guess playing solo just means you have to tailor your playstyle a little bit than if you're playing allied. *shrug*

I don't think solo nerfs have contributed immensely to the use of Sleepmode, it appears to me that it's the quality of players, not the quality of gameplay that have affected the use of sleepmode. As some people have mentioned, having a smaller playerbase also makes repeat attacking certain solos a good deal more likely since there are less targets and tbh, solos make the best targets, unless you've got an inactive ally.

Davs

Garden Designer
I'd like to point out the obvious fact that it isn't just solos using sleep mode, yes a lot of them seem to be frequent users, but a fair few allied players are as well

Enrico

Tree Surgeon
Well if I could send the stuff I bribe somewhere for safe keeping overnight, I could care less about acres and stuff I can rebuy.

But any solo briber in the top 50 have a hard time finding targets to grab the stuff he/she needs for the proper attacks, and after all that hard work, getting say 15m rpgs or 10m PAs or whatever... it is no fun to log on and see you have to do it all over again, because some limpwrist with 100 million TLs came around while you were at work, or asleep or whatnot. :p Especially frustrating for anyone collecting for the compulsive collector award.

Thus the solution is sleep mode from time to time, the loss of seeds are neglible anyway, as the main source of income is attacks.

If solos had some "HQ" they could park staff at, I think fewer would routinely hit sleep when they went offline. Most solos have landfat well below 10% anyway...

Turnip2k

Harvester
I have to say that when people got injuries on all their units, including bribed units, bribers had a much more enjoyable time since they would always have the units which they have currently, just 70% less of them after each attack or whatever.

Same principle applies to gargantuas which are sodding hard to get hold of (and very very costly). Its so easy to get harrier rushed, TL rushed or RPG rushed into oblivion by anyone bigger than you, that sleep mode is the only way to keep the units you have put many hours into converting safe.

For starters, I would reccoment giving people injuries on ALL units, as opposed to only on basics. Bribers would be actually able to keep hold of a decent army then, instead of getting the slate wiped clean by people 3 times their size ever 2-3 days.

CFalcon

Official Helper
The solution to this problem will never be to remove sleepmode, but it will be to FIX the sodding source of the problem - the fact that getting killed in this game is such a damn bummer. If people don't care about getting zeroed, they won't need to use sleepmode, people will have more nice targets to attack, more BR's will be available thus the game will be improved!

This is the most important statement in the whole thread. Sleep mode is a symptom, not a cause.

But everyone do, please, carry on ignoring the real problem.

http://www.bushtarion.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3090

As usual, people are too scared of a major change. We'd rather squabble over details.

penguin

Official Helper
I have yet to find a vamp I would think twice about hitting, Enrico. No matter what the setup, they die. On that point I'll agree with Lillie.

Hmm.. I have to agree with this.. I think Vamps were created solely for SAs and TLs [More on the TL side though] and RPGs.. they die easily otherwise.

I haven't had that many people hit me lately, or land on an attack.

and sleep mode should be discussed within alliances since solo sucks without sleep IMO.
Unlimited times you can hit sleep mode is good for solos like someone said earlier because AR is crap. With a good alliance, you don't need to hit sleep mode every night so your troops/land/whatever is safe from attackers. I have been in alliances [not very good alliances however], where I felt the need to hit sleep when I know I will not be online, and it was useful, maybe one attack is coming in when I log on.. since I had changed alliances, I no longer feel the need to hit sleep.

Azz won't make everyone happy with what he chooses, but everyone is like that because everyone has soo many different views.

anywho.. before I ramble on more, I'm going to post this :p

Madmeater

Harvester
TBH I think a forced alliance is a good idea.

Have alliances that people get automatically put into when they create their ID.

wanna play solo? why? you now have people to play with!

Not with people you wanna be with? make an alliance an play with them!

Otherwise stay in the alliance and make it work and fight for rank 1!!

This will create a platform for alliances to start from. Rather than have new players start in the lonely cold by themselves:

"Welcome to bushtarion! it is round 34 and you have begun your company in 'Azzer's backstreet boys' here is the tutorial...

pushing people together from the start will either make them take an active role in who and and how they play, offering a decision to play alone, leaving their default alliance behind. Or it will allow them to befriend fellow players and give them pride in the team they have been put with.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
I don't agree with forced alliance play. If people don't want to play allied they shouldn't have to.

TaO

Tree Surgeon
If its forced allied play, i bet half the playerbase will leave

If you want to play solo, play solo
If you want to play alied, play allied

Sleep mode is there for people who are willing to play the game.
People in smaller less active alliances get 0d more often then people in top 10 alliances, so thats why they hit sleep mode. The game is no fun when you wake up EVERY single morning and realise that all the effort you put in yesterday was ONCE again, for nothing.
For solo's its the same.
Solo's AR drop low enough every 3/4 days to get 0d easily. And no matter how many land you got, you got no chance to regain those troops within the period of your next bashing.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
pushing people together from the start will either make them take an active role in who and and how they play, offering a decision to play alone, leaving their default alliance behind. Or it will allow them to befriend fellow players and give them pride in the team they have been put with.

having been on the wrong side of a 'forced alliance' when we tried out premade allies in that PW a while back, I found i was 'trapped' in an alliance with a psychotic, fascist, pigheaded and ridiculously stubborn leadership and i simply had no way out other than deleting, or just quitting.

Forced allies are not, at least according to my experience, a good thing. I think training allies are the way to go, although i'm not entirely sure how to implement them without them getting mashed into the ground by other more experienced allies. The ratio of newbies to trainers is hard to manage in these small(ish) size allies since you'll need enough trainers to keep everyone inline and not get absolutely pounded, while managing to train enough new players.

willymchilybily

Landscape Designer
i see alot of route debates, and alot of its pointless debates.

but i completely disagree with changing sleepmode. if you do that i will not be able to play. I cant leave my account and trust it wont die. and i cant be active enough to be online 12 hrs a day., (originally, when active a 12 hr sleep mode would be perfect or if you could play at work) but im not 8 hrs sleep, 9 hours work. and an ahour either side for going to and from work and chores shower etc. so i cant commit the hours. and i want to play bushtarion. but i dont want to join a sh*t alliance, and i dont want to join a good alliance and be nursed, its not what i like. i like a challenge, but one i can fight.

sleep mode should not be a probl;em. hit the target when they arew online and you should be able to win. especially if the new focus on land not troops, and reduced seed storing comes in. so you cant sit on seeds, and buy your way out of trouble. and your ar will be low. if you sleep the whole time you will have few seeds anyway,

i think you should make it easier to sleep and be active when your able to and safe when your not. so more people can play the game. but at a slower pace, they will never get to top ranks anyway, never make much on thier seeds. and then atleast when you are online your not wiped out trying to rebuild.

when solo if you die you land can keep you well in range of people. and if you have a few too many hippies/flack that didnt die, then you can still be raped, again and again. and if you lose all your land and still arent active enough to not need sleep mode then you will be completely zeroed al the time, and eventually give up. and that will push players out of the game. not encourage them to stay. atm sleep mode is annoying for some people. but if your not skilled enough to hit some one whos online, with the superior route to them (assuming your not tl/rpg) then theres a problem. if your allie isnt starting wars with other, then theres a problem.

and the more people you push out of the game by making it not enjoyable for them the smaller the player abse and the bigger the problem gets, if the player base went to 4k overnight. you would have a much smaller streaming affect, top would have to really fight, at the middle yourd have so many different alliances that could hit you you would need to be on form. and at every level yourd have more targets. without the need to rape. but by pusing players from the game you exaserbate the whole situation

Davs

Garden Designer
I'm trying really hard to find the sarcasm in your post, but I genuinely think there wasn't any.

if you do that i will not be able to play. I cant leave my account and trust it wont die. and i cant be active enough to be online 12 hrs a day.

I'm fairly sure I've discussed my opinion on views like this, so although I'll highlight this point, I won't comment on it.

sleep mode should not be a probl;em. hit the target when they arew online and you should be able to win.

Yes, because clearly they won't just send out...
And if there's a new focus on land, do you really expect that to stop people sending out? Methinks not.

i think you should make it easier to sleep and be active when your able to and safe when your not. so more people can play the game. but at a slower pace, they will never get to top ranks anyway, never make much on thier seeds. and then atleast when you are online your not wiped out trying to rebuild.

when solo if you die you land can keep you well in range of people. and if you have a few too many hippies/flack that didnt die, then you can still be raped, again and again. and if you lose all your land and still arent active enough to not need sleep mode then you will be completely zeroed al the time, and eventually give up. and that will push players out of the game. not encourage them to stay. atm sleep mode is annoying for some people. but if your not skilled enough to hit some one whos online, with the superior route to them (assuming your not tl/rpg) then theres a problem. if your allie isnt starting wars with other, then theres a problem.

and the more people you push out of the game by making it not enjoyable for them the smaller the player abse and the bigger the problem gets, if the player base went to 4k overnight. you would have a much smaller streaming affect, top would have to really fight, at the middle yourd have so many different alliances that could hit you you would need to be on form. and at every level yourd have more targets. without the need to rape. but by pusing players from the game you exaserbate the whole situation

Attacking many online players isn't a question of skill, but a question of whether or not they send out. Generally if I send an attack I send enough to ensure I win the fight. If the person is online and is clever enough to realise the obvious fact that I wouldn't have sent if I wasn't going to win, they're going to send out. Need more be said?
The issue I see with sleep mode isn't over use from new players, but over use from many older players (not the real oldies, but generally people who've been around long enough to understand what they're doing). New players often don't even know the sleep mode option exists, and if they do they may be hesitant to use it (from my own personal experience). So I think limiting the amount of times someone can use sleep mode won't have any real effect on new players, other than possibly make them think a bit harder as to how to tailor their playstyles to keep themselves alive.