• Those wishing to contribute to the game by making suggestions (both small and large) should read the following before doing so.

Bushtarion largely runs completely automatically, and has been designed intentionally to be as self-maintaining as possible, with mechanics and balance considered at a completed point.

Please do not spend large amounts of time coming up with complex suggestions in the hope that they will be read and possibly implemented in the future, unless you just enjoy the discussion, theory-craft, and such.

The most likely changes will be rules-changes, specific number-tweaks to units, techs, and similar sorts of changes, and only if a large community consensus is reached as "proof" that a change would, overall, be an improvement, and are more likely to be done in batches, occassionally, not as a regular thing.

Sleep Mode

Davs

Garden Designer
I can quite safely say that I'm not the only one who's fed up with every other player going into sleep mode every night just because they're too scared of losing their precious troops overnight. To put it bluntly, I'm sick of all the people in this game who have given up on chance (or simply relying on a good alliance).

So my suggestion is fairly simple:

Limit the number of times sleep mode can be used in a round. Do it by limiting the overall number of hours a player can be in sleep during the 76 days that the round lasts for.

Now I haven't thought of what that limit should be, but as is the nature of suggestions, it's open to floor for discussion. I just feel that this is the best way to keep sleep mode there for when it is really needed whilst detering people from using it all-round long just because they can't come up with a route setup to keep attakers away the old-fashioned way.

lillie

Harvester
As a huge abuser of sleep mode I object to you implying that we are scared of losing precious troops or have no knowledge of route setup...though setup could be an issue in my case. :s

I am more scared of losing my bloody land from the land farming brigade that congregates once you have been zeored,AR is no help at all.

Surely if you are in an alliance your leader can/should dictate sleep mode ?

Some solo players need to have a fall back,we cant all be bunkers etc.have pnaps or be so clever we actually know what the hell we are doing,but at least we can sleep happy lol

I do think your suggestion of a time limit per round is actually a good idea though.

Oh and I`m open to suggestions as to how a vamp player could possibly deter a robo player ..... the old fashioned way.

DarkSider

Tree Surgeon
One one side i agree sleepmode is fun killing and shouldn't be improved like some suggest but probably nerfed *somehow*. Maybe increase the minimum of hours that can be used to 12-24 ? I don't like limiting the amount of times you can use it during a round personally.

However, while we are there complaining how easy life it appears the ones that use sleepmode have, i'd also want to point out that it is FAR MORE EASYER to play in a good alliance and have a mobile phone instead beeing in a vulnerable alliance or solo with low ar mod and you feel so vulnerable that you have to use sleepmode. You get every now and then some newbie in one of the top alliances praising his awesome skills while all he has is a phone and a solid alliance to back him up.

Just as an example read Pussy blockers recruitment post : we don't care how active you are just sit on many acres and have a phone under your pillow (Not trying to be offensive towards them .. it's just the normal playstyle in a good alliance and they wrote that very well :p ) They don't need sm not because they're so awesome or insanely active but because they rely heavily on beeing called online when needed. Those who don't have that luxury have to be online alot more and use sm :)

Jase

Harvester
However, while we are there complaining how easy life it appears the ones that use sleepmode have, i'd also want to point out that it is FAR MORE EASYER to play in a good alliance and have a mobile phone instead beeing in a vulnerable alliance or solo with low ar mod and you feel so vulnerable that you have to use sleepmode

I have to agree with this by far, after leaving spit n swallow due to not feeling i could put the hours and contactability in due to gf/college i went solo and boy was i in for a shock, not played solo in 4+ rounds (2-3 round before PS was removed) and boy was i surprised how much solo has changed, being solo napped or not leaves your vulnerable 100% of the time (Except stupidly high ar), there is noone to defend you, hl you or anything like that, just got to hope they are idiots that have very badly miscalculated your AR limit which is ever increasingly easy due to things like NBS(No stab at it because its a good tool). Should try it before you can judge it, i do understand where you are coming from, sleeping 60% of the day or so would be stupid so maybe limiting it to say 3-4 times per week max would work i think.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
I agree with DS that the minimum hours for sleep mode should be increased. I've always had the view that sleep mode should only be used in extreme circumstances like if your entire alliance is getting raped and you all hit sleep, or if you're going on holiday. But these days most people use it when they're going offline for a couple of hours. It's kinda sad that people are so frightened of losing score in a war game. Regrowing is half the fun.

I think sleep mode should be for at least 24 hours, and maybe also limit the amount of times you can sleep in a round to 10.

Enrico

Tree Surgeon
Tbh, I think lillie has a point, if there was some limit on how much land a solo (or anyone for that matter) could loose in say 24 h (50% maybe?) I think there would be less people hitting sleep as a standard precaution.

Personally I've played inactively as a solo since the third week, and not used sleep once, so it is clearly doable. And yeah, Ive been killed a couple of times, but playing puppets, any losses is recouped in 3-4 hours if I have the time. But to stop silly vultures means Ive had to grab enough blockers and hard to kill staff to make sure noone can easily land on me when I get killed by some TL-bountyhunter.

I mean, the game is supposed to be about killing and -then- stealing the land of a given target... in one run. Not grabbing easy land off some dead dude with no risk. Any one not severely brain damaged can manage to amass 10-15k acres in a day using the latter approach but where is the fun in that??

As for stopping robos as a vamp: A good share of Wolves, they are pretty hard to kill (for most robo-set ups any way) and do good armour-damage.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
As for stopping robos as a vamp: A good share of Wolves, they are pretty hard to kill (for most robo-set ups any way) and do good armour-damage.

Or just don't go solo vamps. If you never want to get killed by your counter route then join an alliance and put in some work.

This expectation that you are NEVER supposed to die is just another aspect of the increasingly lazy playerbase. Just going back a few rounds shows a dramatically different player mentality. Then it was accepted that as a solo you run the risk of dying once in a while, and possibly getting a bit land raped. And if that happened, you just built back up again. Not once as a solo did I think about hitting sleep mode at night so I didn't die and lose land.

lillie

Harvester
Thanks Enrico....

tobapopalos ...why do I feel that is a dig at me...I actually do not have a problem with fighting a robo if I stand a hells chance in doing some damage...Ive tried before and failed miserably but was fun,I`ve also played allied and kicked ass :)

No-one seriously believes that they will never die but in war you use every tactic available to stay alive... yes/no ?

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
I agree with DS that the minimum hours for sleep mode should be increased. I've always had the view that sleep mode should only be used in extreme circumstances like if your entire alliance is getting raped and you all hit sleep, or if you're going on holiday. But these days most people use it when they're going offline for a couple of hours. It's kinda sad that people are so frightened of losing score in a war game. Regrowing is half the fun.

I think sleep mode should be for at least 24 hours, and maybe also limit the amount of times you can sleep in a round to 10.

Agreed completely. No need to add much further as all previous threads like this where i've replied are something along these lines ^^

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
Thanks Enrico....

tobapopalos ...why do I feel that is a dig at me...I actually do not have a problem with fighting a robo if I stand a hells chance in doing some damage...Ive tried before and failed miserably but was fun,I`ve also played allied and kicked ass :)

No-one seriously believes that they will never die but in war you use every tactic available to stay alive... yes/no ?

It was not a dig at you. It was a dig at every habitual sleep-moder.

And maybe you use every tactic available to you, but I'd rather play the game with a bit of risk. Dying can be fun.

By all means use the game mechanics. I'm not telling you not to. I'm asking for the game mechanics to be changed so you can't use sleep mode every night for 76 days.

We already have insurance and injuries to provide a buffer when people get killed. I don't feel that an 8 hour sleep mode is necessary on top of that.

Enrico

Tree Surgeon
To be fair Toy, he just asked how to deter a robo from targeting him, the old fashion way. And with so many vamp-players being mindless drones who just mass vamps, it should not be to difficult to have a set up that makes the average robo player look a bit further.

When I played vamp solo I had lessers a LETflak and enough wolves to make staying 2 ticks no real option for a bounty hunter, those that hit me was then the ones who really went for a full kill and landgrab, not every old lazy hunters.

As for sleep mode generally, twice today I have managed to jump allied n00bs hitting sleep, so that they suffer and die alone. Netted me 1700 acres and ca 600 billions in bribes... :D Easiest way to make people rethink their strategy methinks!

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
I have yet to find a vamp I would think twice about hitting, Enrico. No matter what the setup, they die. On that point I'll agree with Lillie.

Enrico

Tree Surgeon
Well, unlike 99% of the players you don't care much about own losses...

And I still think it is funny as you complain in another thread about how the insurance bugs makes vamps to good vs strikers and robos. :p

DarkSider

Tree Surgeon
This expectation that you are NEVER supposed to die is just another aspect of the increasingly lazy playerbase. Just going back a few rounds shows a dramatically different player mentality. Then it was accepted that as a solo you run the risk of dying once in a while, and possibly getting a bit land raped. And if that happened, you just built back up again. Not once as a solo did I think about hitting sleep mode at night so I didn't die and lose land.

I think you are looking at the wrong reasons. It would be quite a shock if with no game changes player mentalities changes that much in such a short interval :p
Why i think sm it's more popular this days:
Solo play got nerfed considerably, psolo's lost the -1 return, ar triggers harder, (maybe) land score beeing lower means they get landed on more often while the attackers grow slower and can resend, with no l/f it's a bit no fun to be attacked repeatedly by same players with counter routes and setups, the injury on most troops was removed making you easy land for vultures until you login and maybe some more reasons.

With solo's quite a bit weaker than a few rounds back the solo playerbase got quite alot smaller aswell. There might be many nonallied if you look at statistics and add things up, but as i'm scouting for targets i find much less solo's in higher ranks than it used to be a few rounds back.

Now since everybody enjoys attacking vulnerable solo's since it's getting booring to try allied targets and them calling the target online so you get at most free land or they mass defence and you waste 2 hours, means those solo's left(talking about the higher ranked ones who are likely to use sm) and who are more vulnerable than before (imo solo's are too weak atm) will get alot of focus on them, quite a bit more than a few rounds back.
What else they can do than use sm ? :p It's not mentality that changed it's the need that drives them to. Also since from the vulnerable targets many are using sm when offline and uncontactable means the others will also feel they are next in line to get pwned and if the loss of overnight seeds it's not a problem for them .. why not use sm ?

How about those moaning about others beeing booring because they are looking for extra protection try a round without the precious phone, mirc highlights and no sm and see how the game sudently becomes much different at the same level. Aren't *you* booring if you are so invincible round after round ? What makes you better than the cowards who use sm to protect their land and troops if you and your whole alliance use phones to get the same result ?

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
Well contactability depends on a) someone calling you and b) you being able to get online. Sleep mode is foolproof. 8 hours solid protection with no worries and no lack of sleep.

Contactability is about dedication, sleep mode is about laziness.

That's the difference.

And you think I've never played solo, or uncontactable? I've done both plenty of times.

Turnip2k

Harvester
Sleepmode still needs you to be able to log on every 8 hours. It's not foolproof. Contactability requires 1 ally member in 20 to be watching the incoming screen at all time - which is a pretty doable scheme, since most 'serious' players spend several hours a day watching that ally overview. You give a solo an automated alarm which pranks their mobile the moment someone sends an attack, and I think sleepmode won't be necessary :p

Solo players got nerfed too much - sleepmode is the only reasonable option to not get zeroed and landraped every other night. Getting zero can be fun tops, but not when it happens every 2 days or so without fail.

DS is right - ally players whine about solo's using sleepmode, but having people phone you / being contactable is a far far better option.

Without solos there would be no easy targets at all. They are the essence of the 'easy attack' in this game, and shouldn't be dismissed so lightly. Removing them would increace the activity needed by this game back a factor of two (if you ever want to land a successful / decent attack) quite comfortably.

The solution to this problem will never be to remove sleepmode, but it will be to FIX the sodding source of the problem - the fact that getting killed in this game is such a damn bummer. If people don't care about getting zeroed, they won't need to use sleepmode, people will have more nice targets to attack, more BR's will be available thus the game will be improved!

Souls

Official Helper
DS is right - ally players whine about solo's using sleepmode, but having people phone you / being contactable is a far far better option.

The two aren't even comparable. Sleep mode is complete invulnerability for however long you hit it for, and being contactable means you're losing sleep, time, and having to run to a computer every time you get attacked. They're two completely different things.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
Sleepmode still needs you to be able to log on every 8 hours. It's not foolproof. Contactability requires 1 ally member in 20 to be watching the incoming screen at all time - which is a pretty doable scheme, since most 'serious' players spend several hours a day watching that ally overview. You give a solo an automated alarm which pranks their mobile the moment someone sends an attack, and I think sleepmode won't be necessary :p

Solo players got nerfed too much - sleepmode is the only reasonable option to not get zeroed and landraped every other night. Getting zero can be fun tops, but not when it happens every 2 days or so without fail.

Without solos there would be no easy targets at all. They are the essence of the 'easy attack' in this game, and shouldn't be dismissed so lightly. Removing them would increace the activity needed by this game back a factor of two (if you ever want to land a successful / decent attack) quite comfortably.

The solution to this problem will never be to remove sleepmode, but it will be to FIX the sodding source of the problem - the fact that getting killed in this game is such a damn bummer. If people don't care about getting zeroed, they won't need to use sleepmode, people will have more nice targets to attack, more BR's will be available thus the game will be improved!

I think you missed the point when I said sleep mode is foolproof. After you have hit sleep mode you have a guaranteed 8 hours of safety when nothing can possibly hurt you. In that sense, it is foolproof. And so what if someone has to log in once every 8 hours to hit sleep? 3 ticks activity for 24 hour protection anyone?

Where did anyone suggest removing solos from the game? And what exactly is so "easy" about a solo who is online all day and in sleep mode every night?

Nor did anyone suggest removing sleep mode. It is a suggestion to CHANGE sleep mode to make it less "abusable", if you don't mind me using that term.

And yes, it would be nice to have something to make getting killed a bit less of a bummer. Maybe we could have some form of insurance or injuries, and some type of government protection which triggers if too much staff is sent. Alas, it is a pipedream.

DarkSider

Tree Surgeon
I agree, the 2 aren't even comparable :p
With sm you are sure to loose 85% income and you have 2 ticks when you can get a mega tsunami on your ass untill sm gets activated. It happened players pressing sleep and then a bash came their way and they got zeroed and lost a few ticks of land, or they are more cautious and send their troops out but it also happened they are beeing spyed and a train is sent right before sm kicks in. So nowhere near foolproof, but i agree a solid option for those in need.

On the other hand beeing contactable in a decent ally nets you full income 24/7 even if you are far less active than the vulnerable players, and since most good allies have at least 1 member online at all times there will be somebody to call you. Also a good chunk of those with phones will be availeble 24/7 or say will be much safer than their activity should grant them.

If i was to choose between playing in a top alliance or solo i know which option it's more comfortable and less activity demanding while in the same time will give me a higher score :)