Attitude (warning, long post)

Leah

Pruner
It's all well and good saying 'OMG ITS WAR GAME, STOP WHINGING' - its very much that attitude that is causing problems for advancement.

Yes, it is a war game, and people will get attacked. However, it is still a game - if you don't enjoy it, you don't play. You need to cater for the playerbase, not just the few opinions which are presented here. The playerbase is declining, therefore the views here are very much not part of the general feeling.

These forums are NOT an accurate representations of how the majority of the playerbase feels - this is the problem.

This is in the sleep mode thread and what I have to say has nothing to do with sleep mode so I'm going to reply here instead of clogging up that thread with off-topic stuff.

Turnip2k is absolutely correct in saying these forums are not an accurate representation of the opinions of the general playerbase, and that is the fault of the mainly the veterans that post in these forums.

Most of you probably have no idea who I am. I've only posted one or two other times in forums. Because of this you will probably either ignore this post or flame it until it's original topic is completely lost in all the insults and e-penis waving.

And that's the problem. That is why these forums do not accurately represent the playerbase for this game. So often when a newbie (whether new to the game or just new to forums) has the audacity to post something it gets such a negative response they don't dare do it again.

Nobody is perfect, and yes, you are going to get suggestions that don't make much sense to you or that seem dumb, but the person posting them didn't write that out just to personally offend you, so stop acting like they did. It takes no effort at all to just calmly explain why their suggestion wouldn't work or perhaps suggest an alternate idea to address their problem if you have one. Or just keep your mouth shut. So you don't think someones idea is good. So what? At least they're trying.

So many of you go on and on about needing to increase the playerbase, but when a new person dares to get involved all you care to do is shoot them down and make them feel like crap. A bit counter-productive don't you think?

It's just like people using "it's just a game" as an excuse for using tactics that clearly go against the spirit of the game. Unless Azzer specifically makes a rule for every single action that could possibly be used in an immoral way (impossible and unreasonable to expect) you people seem to feel it's justified to behave however you please. No, there aren't going to be direct consequences for that attitude, but it is going to cause the player base to continue to dwindle and it is going to make a lot of the problems you have with this game worse.

It's just a game, yes, but it's a game played by people. We are not a bunch of robots put here for your amusement. We're going to take the things you say and do personally because *gasp* we're PEOPLE! When you say someone is stupid it's a personal attack. When you spy or ship-jump repeatedly or gang up on the little guy over and over again you are being a jerk to other people. It being in the context of a game does not make the action any less offensive and you should not expect people to just be ok with that kind of behavior, on forums or in game, simply because it's "only a game." It is still bad behavior, regardless of the context.

I have NEVER seen Azzer flame anyone on these forums. Know why? It's not because he's such a nice guy. I have emails that prove otherwise. It's because he's an adult and he knows it isn't going to fix anything and in fact it's going to hurt his playerbase. Those of you who are veterans of this game need to get on board. Knock of the childish behavior and either stay quiet or start actually helping. Stop being mean and insulting, both to each other and to the new people. If people aren't so afraid to express their ideas maybe some the things you have such a problem with will actually get fixed.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
I have NEVER seen Azzer flame anyone on these forums. Know why? It's not because he's such a nice guy. I have emails that prove otherwise.

This is the only bit of your post I found interesting. I'd love to see these emails :p

Turnip2k

Harvester
I think the guy makes a fair point, please don't pick some small part of the post and run off with it at a tangent. Derailing posts with that sort of behaviour is also a bit of a problem in these forums, good discussions / arguements either get flamed or derailed by directionless comments.

antisback

Head Gardener
I personally feel the attitude of some people on this forums is appalling

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
I think the guy makes a fair point, please don't pick some small part of the post and run off with it at a tangent. Derailing posts with that sort of behaviour is also a bit of a problem in these forums, good discussions / arguements either get flamed or derailed by directionless comments.

OK, I'm very sorry for making a light-hearted joke.

You know what else is a bit of a problem on these forums? The complete lack of any sense of humour.

Turnip2k

Harvester
I'm down for a joke mate, but add somthing before / after it which keeps the post on track and puts somthing useful to the discussion!

Had you said 'you have a good point though' at the end, would have at least given the post some continuity in the thread!

Last edited:

Leah

Pruner
I have NEVER seen Azzer flame anyone on these forums. Know why? It's not because he's such a nice guy. I have emails that prove otherwise.

This is the only bit of your post I found interesting. I'd love to see these emails :p

:eek: you mean you don't have those kinds of emails?!?

/me feels special

Anyway it was several rounds ago and I'm not makin it public as I'm sure you'd all agree with Azzer and that would suck ;)

Dziunglius

Planter
You do have a point, but this thread won't be very successful. Your e-penis is simply not large enough for the majority of the people on the forums. You should grow your penis a bit and come back. If only Twigs had made this thread...

On topic: These forums do have problems but I personaly find them amusing. <3 the politics thread, the battle of the e-penises it is.

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
I've to agree with this - There are certain individuals, some who've been around long enough to know better, who have the completely wrong attitude towards new users and their input on these forums.

The moderation team is working hard to not only crack-down users who frequently flame/troll/bait, but also address the issue Leah has raised with regards to deplorable attitudes towards new/casual users of the game.

Indeed anyone trolling/flaming anyone, be they an old or new user, moderators don't just send an infraction and a short message outlining the behaviour deemed inappropriate, but also keep a close eye on repeat "offenders" and where possible explain to them in detail where they're going wrong.

Now I'm not saying we're 100% successful in this respect - but I've noticed personally that a number of users who used to be troublesome on a daily basis have now made a lot of improvement with regards to their posts/input.

The bottomline; moderators are aware of this issue and we're doing what we can from our side to prevent new users feeling reluctant to post for fear of an inappropriately negative response that is unbecoming of a community that is supposed to be friendly and welcoming to all interested in being a more vocal, prominent member.

DarkSider

Tree Surgeon
Turnip2k is absolutely correct in saying these forums are not an accurate representation of the opinions of the general playerbase, and that is the fault of the mainly the veterans that post in these forums.

Forums are not an accurate representation of the playerbase because most of the posters are players who hang around for a longer time and care enough about the game and their time invested to get into arguments with other ppl about politics or game mechanics or whatever. The average Joe cares about his troops and his land and sending defence now and then, too much hassle to even read the forums, to take the time to analize and develop his own concepts about a discussed topic and then post them in a thread. Hell i saw even plenty of older players who just voice other players opinions because it's too hard to think for themselfs.

"Most of you probably have no idea who I am. I've only posted one or two other times in forums. Because of this you will probably either ignore this post or flame it until it's original topic is completely lost in all the insults and e-penis waving."

I don't know about others but i only ignore posts of the players i know they talk very little sense most of the times, or at most i read their posts in disgust :p I'm pretty sure i like reading the posts of new guys in forums, i'm often curious if we get a new member in forums who makes very good points or at least funny.

"So often when a newbie (whether new to the game or just new to forums) has the audacity to post something it gets such a negative response they don't dare do it again."

I kinda agree with that part, especially in the suggestion thread i don't approve the attitude of some who post as they are making the calls if a suggestion should be implemented or not. They should bring counter arguments and fight for opposing side but keep in mind they're not the judge to say stuff like "nice try but no" "It won't happen" etc.

" So you don't think someones idea is good. So what? At least they're trying."

Especially when the "at least we tryed" excuse it's used to cover a total bs resistance attempt or some totally unintelligent attack it makes me cry inside :p Same can happen in forums when somebody makes a suggestion for a new route providing just the names of new units, gets slapped in the face and comes back with at least i tryed excuse. There's nothing wrong with trying and failing but pretty much only if it was actually a try and not a mindless act that came from randomly pushing buttons.

"So many of you go on and on about needing to increase the playerbase, but when a new person dares to get involved all you care to do is shoot them down and make them feel like crap. A bit counter-productive don't you think?"

Idd, newer players should get a break, but it's like irl when you need to get some reputation before your opinion gets valued higher. A newbie or less experienced player needs to earn some points before he makes posts like your idea is crap, let me tell you how it's done. A post like that would most likely attract alot of trout slapping and while you post that's the fault of the "veteran" i'd say it's the unwise approach of the other.
New players need to work their way up and not be discouraged by the hard time they might have, we didn't came here to plant flowers, it's war game, it's a cruel world, toughen up. Like you said it's a game played by people, from the hundreads of ppl there is likely one or more that will fight your views so you have to be ready to fight back instead complaining there are mean ppl out there :)

"Knock of the childish behavior and either stay quiet or start actually helping."

A large portion of the playerbase is formed by kids, that would be a bit hard. And while you say be quiet or start helping keep in mind this is an online game we want to get entertainment from, very few would put Azzer's income or the size of the playerbase or "the good of the game" over their imediate joy they get from spending their time here.

NightNinja

Harvester
It's all well and good saying 'OMG ITS WAR GAME, STOP WHINGING' - its very much that attitude that is causing problems for advancement.

Yes, it is a war game, and people will get attacked. However, it is still a game - if you don't enjoy it, you don't play. You need to cater for the playerbase, not just the few opinions which are presented here. The playerbase is declining, therefore the views here are very much not part of the general feeling.

These forums are NOT an accurate representations of how the majority of the playerbase feels - this is the problem.

This is in the sleep mode thread and what I have to say has nothing to do with sleep mode so I'm going to reply here instead of clogging up that thread with off-topic stuff.

Most of you probably have no idea who I am. I've only posted one or two other times in forums. Because of this you will probably either ignore this post or flame it until it's original topic is completely lost in all the insults and e-penis waving.

And that's the problem. That is why these forums do not accurately represent the playerbase for this game. So often when a newbie (whether new to the game or just new to forums) has the audacity to post something it gets such a negative response they don't dare do it again.

Nobody is perfect, and yes, you are going to get suggestions that don't make much sense to you or that seem dumb, but the person posting them didn't write that out just to personally offend you, so stop acting like they did. It takes no effort at all to just calmly explain why their suggestion wouldn't work or perhaps suggest an alternate idea to address their problem if you have one. Or just keep your mouth shut. So you don't think someones idea is good. So what? At least they're trying.

So many of you go on and on about needing to increase the playerbase, but when a new person dares to get involved all you care to do is shoot them down and make them feel like crap. A bit counter-productive don't you think?

It's just like people using "it's just a game" as an excuse for using tactics that clearly go against the spirit of the game. Unless Azzer specifically makes a rule for every single action that could possibly be used in an immoral way (impossible and unreasonable to expect) you people seem to feel it's justified to behave however you please. No, there aren't going to be direct consequences for that attitude, but it is going to cause the player base to continue to dwindle and it is going to make a lot of the problems you have with this game worse.

It's just a game, yes, but it's a game played by people. We are not a bunch of robots put here for your amusement. We're going to take the things you say and do personally because *gasp* we're PEOPLE! When you say someone is stupid it's a personal attack. When you spy or ship-jump repeatedly or gang up on the little guy over and over again you are being a jerk to other people. It being in the context of a game does not make the action any less offensive and you should not expect people to just be ok with that kind of behavior, on forums or in game, simply because it's "only a game." It is still bad behavior, regardless of the context.

I have NEVER seen Azzer flame anyone on these forums. Know why? It's not because he's such a nice guy. I have emails that prove otherwise. It's because he's an adult and he knows it isn't going to fix anything and in fact it's going to hurt his playerbase. Those of you who are veterans of this game need to get on board. Knock of the childish behavior and either stay quiet or start actually helping. Stop being mean and insulting, both to each other and to the new people. If people aren't so afraid to express their ideas maybe some the things you have such a problem with will actually get fixed.

amen. Alot of veteran players are like that and most of the top guy know each other. There are alot of idiots who play and post here and then get surprised when they get cussed out for flaming someone. PPL assume way too much just because ppl don't post in the forums often. I'd like to see some new blood in this game and maybe some the guys who have bad attitudes towards any change that would mess their little strategies up to get the heck out. Less annoying ppl for more ppl in general would be great. I know alot of ppl who used to play that quit because of that kinda stuff.

Ezekiel

Harvester
I sort of agree.

I went on a similar rant in IRC and as such have actually had some of the people you are referring to talk to me nicely and chat about the bush amongst other stuff.

At the same time, Ninja, from what i've seen of you, you seem like more of a dick then most of the old guys. People in glass houses, yeah.....

f0xx

Landscape Designer
Which idiot resurrected this idiotic thread?

Oh wait... :roll:

Last edited by a moderator:

NightNinja

Harvester
I sort of agree.

I went on a similar rant in IRC and as such have actually had some of the people you are referring to talk to me nicely and chat about the bush amongst other stuff.

At the same time, Ninja, from what i've seen of you, you seem like more of a dick then most of the old guys. People in glass houses, yeah.....

eh..whatever.. I was being triple teamed anyways but whatever it's in the past.

Leah

Pruner
I sort of agree.

eh..whatever.. I was being triple teamed anyways but whatever it's in the past.

I have no idea what you were like in the past man but you were awesome to have in the alliance. You were never a dick to any of us and were fun in IRC. If you were a jerk before you seem to have changed that, so good on ya.