Wanting to buy a laptop...

Nitrous

Head Gardener
Hey all, Im looking at buying a laptop.

The problem is, I cannot find a better laptop for about the same price or a similar laptop for cheaper. The laptop im looking at Alienware m17x laptop, coming up to about 1.8k (Pounds, not euros or dollars :p).

Im asking for someone's help find me a similar laptop or a better one so I get more for the amount of money I am willing to pay (budget is 2k). If you cannot be arsed to look for one please can you just list a few websites / stores that you know is good quality for the money you're paying.

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/p...ptop-alienware-m17x?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs

Thats the laptop im looking to purchase, pretty much all minimum spec (cept I am looking at having Blu Ray drive).

Thanks all for any help.
Nitrous

EDIT: Don't say build your own...cos I cannot and don't have enough time to.

Last edited:

Polo

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
The laptop im looking at Alienware m17x laptop, coming up to about 1.8k (Pounds, not euros or dollars :p).

Complete waste of money. You're very much paying for the brand name when it comes to Alienware (same as Apple, Sony, etc.).

Have a look on http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/ Then once you've decided on a laptop you like, google for reviews on it.

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer
Best laptop money can buy to you is one you make yourself. I simply cant remember the site but basicly you decide the "shell" and interior for it and you can get it much cheaper than alienware ones, you can upgrade it when you like and if something brokes down you can fix it yourself.

Its some US place so you must pay some tax from there to EU, but its still so cheap in comparison to current EU prices that its worth of it.

Will find out what that place is when I get back home and have my own comp to use. Just remember with 99.99% of laptops what you pay for is complete crap inside for price of more than what actual parts costs. You get all kind of crap programs added by those companies and they actually slow comp down, in comparison to getting it in either parts or assembled for you with just raw windows installed.

moorer

Pruner
Have a look at this company, I can commend them for their service and customer care but cannot speak for the specs as I am no expert. Will just say I have been pleased with the laptops I got from them albeit I went for the more family friendly end of their range rather than the gaming end.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/home.html

Nitrous

Head Gardener
Thanks for those two links moorer and Polo. Really helpful; have already found some laptops where I get more BANG for my buck.

Thanks so much.

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Best laptop money can buy to you is one you make yourself. I simply cant remember the site but basicly you decide the "shell" and interior for it and you can get it much cheaper than alienware ones, you can upgrade it when you like and if something brokes down you can fix it yourself.

Its some US place so you must pay some tax from there to EU, but its still so cheap in comparison to current EU prices that its worth of it.

Will find out what that place is when I get back home and have my own comp to use. Just remember with 99.99% of laptops what you pay for is complete crap inside for price of more than what actual parts costs. You get all kind of crap programs added by those companies and they actually slow comp down, in comparison to getting it in either parts or assembled for you with just raw windows installed.

Without a really good knowledge of the physical aspects of computing I'd avoid this completely tbh. Laptops are extremely difficult to build from scratch - it is an entirely different ball game to building a base.

Buy one made :p

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer

Without a really good knowledge of the physical aspects of computing I'd avoid this completely tbh. Laptops are extremely difficult to build from scratch - it is an entirely different ball game to building a base.

Buy one made :p
You talk based on knownledge or based on "I feel" stuff? Cause they are very same to build, problem is you cant open and fix stuff because those firms building laptops are taking shortcuts and saving money and using bad stuff while doing so. Also very often you lose your warranty if you open em. But they are same computers and same parts inside of em, they are as easy to build as normal comp if in a way not even easier. I have opened a lot of em and fixed stuff and basics are very same, so please dont come here to post your stuff when you honestly dont know smeg! You only spook people to pay for something they wouldnt need to. If you have ever built computer you can build laptop simple as that.

Nitrous:
Yet I suggest to get your laptop from some dealer which builds it for you based on what you want (I mean some company that makes them without name not with name like alienware or so, but they buy their barebones of these big dealers and build you the comp you want on parts you want)... like you can decide barebone system for it (example you want asus modelxxx or dell modelxxx barebone for it, then processor, GPU, HD etc... That way you get exactly what you want and dont want. Also they usually dont install any of those crap that all dells, asus etc. do to their laptops. It is win win deal for both sides, as sometimes looking parts for laptops can be bit hellish operation at least in Finland.

Laptops built such way are called DIY laptops/notebooks those are "best" and easiest way to get exactly what you want for the price you can afford, without being tied to compromises of big companies.

I know that at least OCZ allows you to decide all major parts for your system and they will even put it up for you, making it exactly what you want... More of a question is whatta hell you need laptop for?

You see your problem in here is that you want moveable thing that isnt really moveable... It simply is impossible scenario... I can get you laptop that runs crysis on full (or any other high resourses needed game), yet whan you pull the plug and carry it to class it runs 1.5 hours and dies in Word page. Whats the point of having such then? If you want good laptop and game with it or so it must have big screen... 15" is moveable 17" not really 19 and up well they weight and their size is way too big to be really moveable... so whats the point?

How much good does it give you to spend 1.8k pounds to something that you really cant use all over? What you actually do need is either one of those new AMD systems where you can have separate 2nd GPU which you keep home and which allows some speed when needed with separate power source, yet being useable without one for normal stuff...

Or well you could start to be smart and get normal table comp for like 800 pounds (really really good one) and one of those mini laptops with like 10" moitor and good keyb and 8hours of battery in full use. Thats only way to get best of both sides, not only make compromises between speed and battery life.

I mean who of us doesnt want to get comp that can run any modern games with any speed and then just put it in case and carry it with us to school to do some school work and play some games between classes... but when it starts to weight a ton and its dimensions are huge, it produces more heat than average hairdryer and cant run on battery for more than hour no matter what you do, and when it gets old or breaks down you cant do anything to it yourself, what is the point of its "mobility" anymore?

Last edited:

CFalcon

Official Helper
The laptop im looking at Alienware m17x laptop, coming up to about 1.8k (Pounds, not euros or dollars :p).

Complete waste of money. You're very much paying for the brand name when it comes to Alienware (same as Apple, Sony, etc.).

Have a look on http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/ Then once you've decided on a laptop you like, google for reviews on it.

Not sure I entirely agree. I have an Alienware (cost £1100), it's just coming up to 3 years old, and about the same time I bought it my mate bought a Dell with almost identical specs for about £300 less. However, his Dell has had a string of problems, to the point where he had to buy a new laptop a few months ago, while my Alienware is still going strong and still capable of playing brand new games (and I don't exactly treat it well!).

It's probably like BW says that if you know your stuff your best bet is to get one custom built. But if you can't, Alienware seem to justify their cost by being very solidly built (and looking absolutely beautiful).

Polo

Garden Designer
Super Moderator

Not sure I entirely agree. I have an Alienware (cost £1100), it's just coming up to 3 years old, and about the same time I bought it my mate bought a Dell with almost identical specs for about £300 less. However, his Dell has had a string of problems, to the point where he had to buy a new laptop a few months ago, while my Alienware is still going strong and still capable of playing brand new games (and I don't exactly treat it well!).

Sorry, Dell should have been included in that list too - they're awful. Plus, a one off incident like that means nothing. :p

Also, you do know Dell own Alienware, right?

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
I bought a Dell laptop about 6 years ago, fairly good specs for the time and for a really good cost.

And im still using it now, ive dropped it, spilled drinks on it...its been turned on permanently for the last 3 years and its still going strong! The initial install i got from Dell (of windows) was full of crap, they do pile in a load of ***** that you dont need (trial versions of useless/crap programs) but once you get rid of that. Its all good.

I'd reccomend them definately if you dont know alot about computers and just want something that'll do the job without alot of hassle.

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator
http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/node/159

PC Decrapifier is a godsend when it comes to new machines. Very very handy little utility! It basically uninstalls all the crap that comes shipped on most PCs/laptops. Highly recommended!