current good games?

atsanjose

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
because ive got a new computer i can play current good games.

anyone know some games that i should definitly check out?

dont like the plain stategic shooters like cod/rainbow6 etc.

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator
Killing Floor is entertaining. Prototype, Arma II? *shrug*

The Orange Box is still highly entertaining too.

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator
You're a bit limited then :p Very few decent games that aren't shooters at the mo. If you want something slightly detached, Tom Clancy's EndWar is pretty good (voice activated mass strat).
I've heard the latest train sim (RailWorks) is the bees knees? :p
Empire: Total War is pretty good too.

atsanjose

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
voice activated strategic? :O

wait

wasnt tom clancy a shooter too :/

might check empire total war out :)

and is that train simulator like railroad tycoon?

i love tycoon games :D

and iam gonna try that "alien evolution game" too :D

Garrett

Landscape Designer
want a fun themed turn based strategy and bored a little with SC and the like? Then look for this 'current' title...

microprose's 1999 release of star trek:birth of the federation!

make sure you get 1.01 or 1.02 releases (makes it compatible for xp, including lan/online multiplayer)

many people apparently still rock out on this game and have even made different mods.

pros:
trek universe if you like it (TNG settings/info/canon - some non canon due to the way trek franchise did it's licensing to 'prose)
space combat done in 'tactical mode'. you select tactics of your ships and hit turn and watch the video, if both sides have ships left, then select new tactics and hit turn again until battle is resolved. watch torpedoes rip through your opponents hulls!
minor races from the series, you can subjugate or diplomatically bring them into your fold. each race has a specific bonus structure for certain bonuses.

cons:
ai a little basic. it's not a great manager of it's own cities/planets. does a pretty good job of expanding but does not always pose a great challenge.
code was a little buggy, but most if not all of the memory leaks have been fixed.
random events usually doesn't have enough beneficial events happening. borg cubes start appearing (1 at a time) usually after turn 100-120. borg cubes take 24-36 ships to kill (unless you have cloaked vessels which get 'first strike', then it's 16-24).
if you aren't starting out with advanced tech or want a prolonged game, i recommend events off until you get the feel.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
I want a new copy of X-Com: Enemy Unknown with no bugs or **** :(

The last one I found worked fine for a while and I was doing really well, and then it kept crashing at the same point every time. I was majorly pissed off.

Garrett

Landscape Designer
i've only ever played terror from the deep (it's sequel?) however, i will see what i can find when i get home

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator
voice activated strategic? :O

wait

wasnt tom clancy a shooter too :/

might check empire total war out :)

and is that train simulator like railroad tycoon?

i love tycoon games :D

and iam gonna try that "alien evolution game" too :D
Tom Clancy has a host of games (Rainbow Six, Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, EndWar, H.A.W.X., to name the most popular off the top of my head). EndWar is actually pretty entertaining - check out some of the Gameplay trailers at GameTrailers.com!
And no. The train simulator is..well, just that. You drive trains. Not exactly a Tycoon game :p

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
i've only ever played terror from the deep (it's sequel?) however, i will see what i can find when i get home

Enemy Unknown was better imo. TFTD was pretty much the same only set under water, and the weapons were seriously gay. Heavy Plasmas ftw.

CFalcon

Official Helper
Empire Total War is an absolute beast! My laptop can barely handle it, but it's worth waiting through the load times, and if you've got an up to date machine then it should be pretty epic. The economic side isn't quite as sophisticated as civ4 although in some ways it is better, and in many ways that is good as it allows you to concentrate on the diplomatic and military aspects, which both blow civ4 away. Graphics are *stunning* too, if you can run them.

Can't wait for the multiplayer campaign to be released :D

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer
Guy asks for current good games and gets given mainly list of complete BS from ages ago rofl.

Current /recent "good" ones...
assassins creed, Fallout3, GTA4, Assault on dark athena (bit shooterish), dead space, empire total war, War Hammer dawn of war 2, mirrors edge, RA3, both s.t.a.l.k.e.r's, mass effect.

Thats list of mainly single player games from last year, worth of buying/playing for. Also add orange box to it if you have not played all those throught yet. If you after getting and playing all of those need more I am sure I can find some. :D Also its hard to tell what you mean by shooter... if you mean simple pipe running and only idea is to shoot then leave half lifes out but try portal... if for you RPG like fallout is shooter well... then your options are very limited.

And about prototype... I suggest you read some IGN stuff, people have said it isnt that fancy really... is nice for first 20 mins and then when all that new shiny stuff is gone of it it shows how bad graphics, AI, actual story etc. it has.

Garrett

Landscape Designer
Tom Clancy has a host of games (Rainbow Six, Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, EndWar, H.A.W.X., to name the most popular off the top of my head).

The splinter cell series was pretty f'n awesome. atypical shooter. more adventure than shooting. it was nice to have options on how to complete missions. just was a great balance of shooting and adventure/tasks.

Enemy Unknown was better imo. TFTD was pretty much the same only set under water, and the weapons were seriously gay. Heavy Plasmas ftw.

no wai!!! disruptor pulse launchers were fantastic! (well i don't know if they were in the first one)

pulse launchers were smart missles... you could set up to 10 way points for the missile to travel. flipping great :D, goes around corners, up the stairs, up to the top of an alien vessel and back down through a hole in the hull (or some open doors in their bigger cruisers)

but yes, I do need to play enemy unknown. tftd had some bugs of it's own. (mainly delaying ion and magnetic ion armours, sad in pants)

Dziunglius

Planter
Games of 2008/2009 that I have played and liked.

Overlord II, which was released 2 days ago, it's just epic fun. Controlling those minions is so much fun, it makes me smile while playing. The first one was good too.

Prototype < Just awesome, shame that my pc ain't that good.

Fallout 3 < Pretty damn solid rpg'ish game, but got bored after a while.

Empire: Total War < Best turn based strategy game? (only civ can come close, but I prefer total war series)

Battlestations: Pacific < Suicide into an American battle ship with your Japanese flighter, how cool is that ? :D Fun for some time, but got bored really fast.

GTA 4 < This would be a must-buy but it is a lazy port to PC, sucks badly, although if you can get past its technical glitches, it's very very very good.

The Last Remnant < Haven't played this one as its Korea'ish RPG(and I hate those) but I've heard it's really good.

Mirrors edge < A great runner(not that I've played any others) but a bit short.

Left 4 Dead < Yeah it is a shooter, but why wouldn't want to shoot some zombies?

King's Bounty: The Legend < HoMM gameplay with some things changed/added

The Witcher: Enhanced edition < One of the best RPGs I've ever played

Devil May Cry 4 < Stylish action game(I made an exception for this one and it did not dissapoint)

Mass effect < Not even sure what's that, a mix of fps and rpg? Great story tho.

Assassin's Creed < Great fun, but i'd stick to prototype till Assassin's Creed 2 is released(November 2009)

Sins of a Solar Empire < strategy on a grand scale

lavadog

Head Gardener
I've been playing all day today, I'm at the Warren atm.

That static floating ability in mid-air is awesome :D

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Im pretty near the end now. How are you playing, good or evil? Ive played good for the first playthrough as its slightly more powerful in that its concentrated. When i replay i'll go evil and just kill everything in sight!!!