Windows 7 Release Candidate

Chezz

Harvester
Anybody is trying out the Windows 7 RC? It's currently available for download until 15 August and it lasts until June 2010.

I'm currently downloading the 64-bit version for my Vista laptop. I'll be sharing any experiences later on! Anyone who already has it can share what's new and good/bad in it :D.

f0xx

Landscape Designer
My two roommates have it and they say that it is quite fast compared to any other OS from windows.

Chezz

Harvester
Sounds nice! I'm still downloading though.....From my experiences Vista seemed much slower than XP, but perhaps that's due to my noob graphics card....T.T

Markb

Harvester
Community Operator
I have the windows 7 RC, I've gone straight from XP to the beta/RC and am finding it fantastic - I'm now using it as my main OS at home

Chezz

Harvester
I have the windows 7 RC, I've gone straight from XP to the beta/RC and am finding it fantastic - I'm now using it as my main OS at home

Seeing your siggy, does that mean you triple boot Windows 7, XP and Ubuntu?

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
I imagine i'll try installing it this afternoon/evening and see how it goes :) Anything is better than Vista :(

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Its pretty good...far better than vista anyway.

Im now usinig it for my main OS on my lap top. No real problems for me...

And its free!!!! (for another year ;))

Markb

Harvester
Community Operator

Seeing your siggy, does that mean you triple boot Windows 7, XP and Ubuntu?

Not on the same computer, I have various OSes installed in various setups

Desktop was XP/Win7 dual boot, but is now Win7 single boot, laptop dual booting XP and ubuntu, and virtual servers running ubuntu on my home server

Chezz

Harvester
And its free!!!! (for another year ;))

by then i'm going to have to replace my laptop and get a new one which will have it installed anyways. Woot!

Don't think so ;). See this report from wiki....

Wikipedia said:
Microsoft has stated that it plans to release Windows 7 to manufacturing in July 2009, with general retail availability set for October 22, 2009

Yes! Foiled another plan! :evil:

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Huh chezz?

Thats what he's saying...next year (after october 22, 2009) he'll have to buy another computer...and it'll have windows 7 on...

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Huh chezz?

Thats what he's saying...next year (after october 22, 2009) he'll have to buy another computer...and it'll have windows 7 on...

indeed. *by the time* Windows 7 RC needs to be replaced, i'll have bought another computer on which it will already be installed. :p So i get about 10 months of free operating system ;P

aGit

Harvester
I've been running the win 7 RC build 7100 for a month now and pretty much the only problem i've had is that my dvd drive doesnt work in it.

In the system settings i can see that the dvd drive is there and supposedly functioning properly, however whenever i insert a dvd into the drive, my whole system hangs. nothing works at all, till i take the dvd out, then everything resumes no probs. I even had this problem when installing win 7 from a dvd. at 3% the installation would allways hang, and after awhile i'd get an error message explaining that dvd drive not found or wrong volume in drive. In the end i managed to isntall win 7 through windows xp update install. that way the contents of the dvd were moved to my HD in XP and no dvd was needed in the actual installtion procedure.

anyone have any idea whats this all about?

other than that i've had no problems with win 7 and i will keep using it till they release it for good.

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What's "nice" about it? I mean, what does it do/have that is better than other Windows but more importantly that isn't a gadget, gizmo, or flashy pointless thing - but actually something genuinely sensible/improved/useful (I say that because for example most of Vista's new features all got disabled within an hour of installing it, from the "widget" sidebar to the display "enhancements", and I have never in my life needed to see a preview of a window when alt-tabbing or hovering over it in the taskbar - I know what that window contains because I was the guy that opened it in the first place :p).

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer
Only thing for me to go for it is x64 and dx10... was not really enought to push me to vista, but well as win 7 is faster than vista well maybe I some day will...

But other than those 2 things can someone tell me whats so good about it? I hated new office cause it wasnt like old one... impossible to find stuff... Like after reinstalling XP first thing I always do is to select "old" theme which makes xp looks like 98... which is much much more workable for me, faster, easier to find things etc...

So can anyone lighten up me and Azzy in this?

Like can I open things with power of my mind? Or have faster opening of comp, or what actual benefit can I get? Instead of just being pushed to it cause Microsoft wants more money.

Chezz

Harvester
Well....posting this from Windows 7. The first impression is that the boot time has decrease by quite a lot, the boot time now is ~15sec.

Basically the interface is quite similar to Vista, the taskbar is thicker, icons in the taskbar are bigger. In Vista, XP and previous versions, when programs are open, they are represented as a small bar in the taskbar, but in 7, they are represented as squarish icons instead. A little unused to it at first, but seems fine after a while. The stacking of different windows of the same program is enabled by default. Another thing, there seems to be almost the same graphics effects as Vista, but much less laggy, but perhaps it might be due to the 64-bit Windows 7 instead of the 32-bit Vista that I was using previously.

@Blackwolf: Regarding your opinions, many people have said that they feel the XP is the best OS that they have used. However, have we actually heard reports of XP having special features? Having special effects? In contrast, although Vista has loads of new stuff, people still, to this day, say it sucks cos of the many bugs and incompatibility issues that it has. Thus, IMO, a good OS doesn't really need to have new features, people just need features that work.

Edit: And since Windows 7 hasn't had any of the bugs that have screwed up Vista, I can safely say (to this point in time) that 7 has achieved its aim. ;)