Multiple Errors

saint1d

Head Gardener
My wife tried to log onto Facebook yesterday but the screen froze (spinning circle cursor thing). She waited a few minutes and tried to close down that window but it wouldn't work, at which point she thought it would be a good idea to hit the sleep short-cut key on the keyboard.

When I logged into Windows I got multiple error messages; "COM Surrogate has stopped working", "Windows Modular Installer has stopped working", "Windows search protocol has stopped working" and various others that I cant remember right now. If I click on "check online for solution" I get "Windows problem reporting has stopped working".

The first thing I did was to update my antivirus and run a full scan, but this hasnt shown anything unusual.

Anyone got any ideas please?

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer
Get a new wife.

Rofl im just messing mate ... sorry ive been reading /b/ for about 2 hours now :p

Do you have anything important on there or could you just re-format the pc and have a sparkling pc ? :D
Tis what i do :)

saint1d

Head Gardener
lol yeah that would make sense if I was after a wife who was god with computers, but mine does have other qualities which far outweigh that :p

I'd rather avoid having to re-format the drive, I have loads of music, photos, etc so it would take forever.

I'll see what other responses I get over the next 24hrs and take it from there.

timtadams

Landscape Designer
Dont forget, you can backup the music and photos before formatting.

It is unlikely that the problem lies in those files, so I'd just copy those onto an external hard drive and format my computer, then copy files back onto it

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Twould appear you're on Windows Vista.

Insert your windows vista repair disc and boot it from start-up. (From the BIOS, hit "Boot options" or the closest phrase to that as can be found :p )

There is a repair option on this disc and I've found it to be extremely useful.

Has the capacity to ascertain problems and apply fixes by replacing corrupt files etc.

saint1d

Head Gardener
When I initially boot up and log into windows the first error message I get is "Access violation at 0x778FF563 (tried to read from 0x0000F93F), program terminated".

After that I get the multiple messages saying that various things aren't working. If I click to check online it says that Windows problem reporting has stopped working (ironically it gives me the option to check for a solution to this using Windows problem reporting lol)

Yeah I'm on Vista. I dont actually have a boot up disk, all that is on the hard drive but it's partitioned (I think that's the word) so it shows up as a separate drive. I will have a go at rebooting and see what options I have, maybe I can access that from boot up.

saint1d

Head Gardener
Thanks DA, if I hit F11 it runs system recovery which has the repair option.

I'm going to go and buy an external hard drive and transfer all my media, then will run the repair. After which I think I will spend a fair few hours going through the Spring Clean Your PC thread and get alll the crap off my system.

saint1d

Head Gardener
Ok, I have another question lol.....

Which is better, a portable hard drive or a desktop hard drive? I dont really need it to be portable, so am I right in assuming a desktop one might have better performance, or is there no difference other than size?

Scorpio

Head Gardener
Well I have a desktop HD here at home, but the next I'm buying will be a portable! I dno about you, but me and my mates often take the HD to school / each other to share some stuff and in that case portable > Desktop.

I can get 1 tera desktop HD for €120, and 500 gig portable for the same price, it's just the matter of how important the "portable" aspect is for you.

saint1d

Head Gardener
I just don't need a portable one so may as well get a desktop with larger capacity for the same price. Thanks ;)

saint1d

Head Gardener
Geez, what a long day. Got home with my new external drive and started sorting this out at 12.30. Have copied all media/documents to the new drive and done a full reformat & reinstall on the hard drive. It's now 19:15 and i'm sick of the sight of my pc lol.

That said all has gone swimmingly and without glitch, just got to install some random stuff, but that can wait until tomorrow.

Thanks to all who responded to this thread, much appreciated ;)