Hard Disk Problem

Nitrous

Head Gardener
Basically I have 4 hard drives, one of them isn't being recognised. Only happened today, I open "My Computer". I only see 3 of the four drives.

HELP!!

Also is it possible to recover all the information as well that is on the drive?

Maxi

Head Gardener
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Did you change anything to your setup? Check the cables. Is the drive itself spinning, powering up? Does it show when you boot your computer/in the bios?

Depending on what the 'problem' is with it, you can get data back or not. :)

Hobbezak

Garden Designer
Basically I have 4 hard drives, one of them isn't being recognised. Only happened today, I open "My Computer". I only see 3 of the four drives.

HELP!!

Also is it possible to recover all the information as well that is on the drive?

Do you have some network drives or usb sticks in?
I have had a HDD which was mapped on say H:\, but H:\ also was a network drive, so I didn't look there. :p
I would, apart from checking the bios, check (somewhere in the configuration if you're using windows) system management, then computer management, and somewhere there drive management. (the names might not be 100% correct, my windows is in Dutch. :p).
There you can see all partitions and hard drives that you have.

timtadams

Landscape Designer
Firstly restart your computer and see if that helps

Then I would also check out disc management. If it is properly connected/powered up (which i advise you check) it should show up there. It will give you the status of all your drives too. Firstly if you find it i would try changing the drive letter. Im not a pro, usually i frig around with **** till it works.

But it may be corrupt, so if you find it, I would run checkdisc on it. Then i would probably back up what i wanted and format it from disc manager.

To see disc manager in windows:

Start --> Control Panel --> Administrative tools (classic view) --> Computer management --> Disc Management (is on the side bar under 'Storage')

Souls

Official Helper
This happens to me with my D drive, just restart your computer. :p

Nitrous

Head Gardener
Wow, can't believe that was so simple. LOL
Thanks Souls :D

(And everyone else for at least trying. :p)

Nitrous

Head Gardener
Another hard disk problem.

This time it's my external hard drive.

Thw power supply is working. The connection is working fine i think - like when I unplug the USB connection, the PC recognises that it has been unplugged and makes that noise. :p. Same when I plug it in, but when I click on the drive that appears when I plug it back in under My Computer, it says please insert disc. :(

HELP!

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer
Yeah this time you should reboot first... specially before you make posts here... as we assume you have done all kind of basic noob stuff like rebooting BEFORE posting.

If I have understood right your now talking of removable drive, if nothing else works try opening its case, removing HD, plug it straight to comp and see if that works. That can narrow it down where problem is.

If drive works on comp but not after you plug it back to its casing = casing fault, if it still doesnt work on both cases = HD prob.

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
In Nitrous' defence rebooting sucks! lol. I hate having to reboot my computer so will wait as long as humanly possible before doing so!

But yeah, reboot to avoid being slapped by BW! ;)
;)

Garrett

Landscape Designer
well in bw's defense there are basic steps that users should know and use before 'escalating' a problem. escalation in this case being asking for help in a public area.

you don't have to know anything about comps to ask for help... but along with the problem people should list what they have tried or admit they've done nothing because they aren't sure where to start.

if you know you should reboot and most updates require rebooting anyway (should you need an update), you should try that no matter how painful before asking for the 'magic fix' that would probably cause you to reboot again anyway.

that helps diagnose all problems not just nitrous, imo.

Nitrous

Head Gardener
I did reboot before I had made the post *actually*. :p

I learn from my mistakes the 1st time round. :D

Are there any other suggestions before I have to rip apart my external HD? :p

Garrett

Landscape Designer
i ran out of chickens to sacrifice and drank the tea leaves :(

da power of voodoo cannot help you, the magic 8-ball says try again later. have you tried searching other comp savvy forums?

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer
Try connecting your HD to some other comp... format it... and then after it all fails just realize that those removable drives are very very simple to put together and they are simply small frame, small card with some very basic chips and normal hard drive connected with cable to that small card which translates that data to USB format.

People have been replacing those HDs with bigger ones for ages.

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Phone the company who make the hard drive, they'll prob be able to give you the best advice!!

(not that BW doesn't know his stuff i'm sure ;))