Empire Total War

TehPantz

Head Gardener
I just ordered Empire Total war on steam and am eagerly awaiting the download on March 4th. I was a huge fan of Rome and Medieval 2 Total War. Anyone else looking forward to the new release?

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator
Played the demo and wasn't overly impressed. Essentially exactly the same as the previous instalments with little improvement graphically or related to gameplay.
Loading times were insanely large as well - but that's sort of expected with Total War demos.

I don't know, I'm assuming they'll release a couple of gigabytes worth of patches soon after release to fix the game - this assuming the demo was a recent slice of the full game...

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
this game has never made a disappointing installment. Sure they aren't all new and glitzy and glamorous, but that's because they have a good system that works. Of course, i'd always be happy with some improvements, but i can't think of much i'd improve over the current system tbh. Although i imagine that's why i don't develop games ;)

That being said, i'm very excited for Empire; although i think naval battles are probably going to end up being more disappointing than anything; they've always been exceptionally hard to model properly and control with any degree of simplicity without being reduced to a boring ole point click and ship follows mouse kind of thing.

I love the time period, i love the game; and haven't run into a better strategy game anywhere, ever. Can't wait.

TehPantz

Head Gardener
This game is EPIC! I installed yesterday and started the British long campaign. This game takes all the good things from the Civilizations franchise and all the good things from Medieval 2 total war and puts them together AWESOMELY. Buy this game.

/me has new favorite game

myziot

Planter
I love it!

I love it!

Hey,

With me being a pole I'm proud of two things regarding this game.
1. I can play Poles and try to avoid being captured by Russia, Prussia and Austra :p. As well as I can run with Sobieski the III against the Ottomans and crush them Janisary with Hussars (this a lil obsolete but scary heavy cavalry with flags of feavers attached to the back of their armour)
2. I actually bought it as opposed to stealing it from Rapidshare :p

And I must say.. tactics are completaly different than Med II. I saw someone saying the battles are the same. They're completaly not. With all this research of infantry getting new bayonets, formations, platoon shooting, fire-advance - it adds so much into the game play. And actually you can soooo amazingly take advantage of outflanking with the cavalry.

I actually got those thrills or excitement on the spine leading some big battles. A feeling that I seldom get from games anymore. Which makes it an excelent game!

Hobbezak

Garden Designer
Hey,

With me being a pole I'm proud of two things regarding this game.
1. I can play Poles and try to avoid being captured by Russia, Prussia and Austra :p. As well as I can run with Sobieski the III against the Ottomans and crush them Janisary with Hussars (this a lil obsolete but scary heavy cavalry with flags of feavers attached to the back of their armour)
2. I actually bought it as opposed to stealing it from Rapidshare :p

And I must say.. tactics are completaly different than Med II. I saw someone saying the battles are the same. They're completaly not. With all this research of infantry getting new bayonets, formations, platoon shooting, fire-advance - it adds so much into the game play. And actually you can soooo amazingly take advantage of outflanking with the cavalry.

I actually got those thrills or excitement on the spine leading some big battles. A feeling that I seldom get from games anymore. Which makes it an excelent game!

I'm playing with Prussia atm, after a try with The United Provinces (rich *******s :p).
Have to say the start is a lot slower than in Medieval II, because there are no barbarian cities to take to expand. So I ended up declaring war on Saxony, immediately got a war declaration back from Poland-Lithuania, which is cool, now I can take on them Polish aapjes without having to fear Russia. :p

I really like the new campaign map, with much more than just cities. Battles are for me quite similar, I can still do my concept of using infantry vs infantry, while moving my cavalry over the flanks to hit the infantry from behind. :p
Btw anyone got pwnd by the immobile cannons the first time? :p I didn't know they were immobile, so I put them at the back of my army. :(
Luckily I still had the upper hand thanks to having 4x more cavalry, and wtfraped them regardless. :p

myziot

Planter
But found loads of bugs that needs to be fixed. Like CPU infantry not entering building to kill my unit and thus winning a battle for time-out.

And yea.. I have no clue how to fight naval battles. I keep loosing even with 75% fleet adventage, lol.

And I still haven't figured out this whole tea trading, colonies or whatnot. I just go with brute force learned from Med II and other previous series.

I find agents bugged as well.. I keep loosing nearly every and any spy/duel attempt regardless of the % chance of success. They seem so useless to me.. Maybe it's because I play on Hard and computer simply cheats? I dunno. Neways.. Hobbezak I wish you get smashed by Poles :p. We had a great deal of bad history with prussia, teutons.. them *******s :p

Hobbezak

Garden Designer
But found loads of bugs that needs to be fixed. Like CPU infantry not entering building to kill my unit and thus winning a battle for time-out.

Lol I had one battle (My attack on Dresden) where the CPU reinforcements didn't enter the battlefield, but were still counted as fighting, so I couldn't touch them. With 45 minutes still on the clock, I decided to quit the battle, turned out my opponent lost no troops (even though I killed most...)
Nasty bugs. :(

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Jah, Total War games have a habit of being released as betas unfortunately :p Since my computer is too crappy to play these games anyway (cept for RTW) I'm just going to have to wait til i buy a new one, by the time everything will be all patched and lovely :D