Call of Duty 5

Mattheus

Head Gardener
Re: Call of Duty 5

Apparently Treyarch are working on fixing all the zombie glitches, some of them have already been fixed. Once they've fixed them all they'll wipe the leaderboards so it'll show actual honest top scores rather then who had the most spare time to stand in a glitch for hours on end :p So they say anyway!

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator

good single player, mediocre multiplayer so far...for everything thats been said so far

i think a good indication of the multiplayer is the fact that i have been on COD5 multiplayer for 10 mins tonight and it has made me start playing COD4 instead...lol

Single player is "gripping" tho...been up for a few hours playing that...but they've let themselves down on the multiplayer...

Also, am i the only one that just feels waves of disapointment with each new gun i see after playing COD4...the modern warfare element was just awesome tbh...i would have suggested they stick with that

Meh, will play more tomo and come back

Mattheus

Head Gardener

Shrug, You've all been spoiled by cod4. The multiplayer is far from mediocre. It's still better then most of the other games out there. It just takes some getting used to, get to know the maps, get the feel of the weapons etc.
Ofc the weapons will feel odd at first, it's WWII fs! :p In the later levels you do unlock some awesome weapons though which would probably have held their own in cod4 (<3 FG42)

I still hate the tanks, a couple maps are still too big, the spawns are still a little dodgy and the dogs are still overpowered. BUT those don't spoil the game for me, it's still awesome.

Hell even if it's not as good as cod4 (which it isn't, but not by loads) then it's at least nice to play some fresh new maps using some new guns rather then playing the same maps again and again with the same weapons for another year.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

Mattheus said:
Shrug, You've all been spoiled by cod4.

[snip]

then it's at least nice to play some fresh new maps using some new guns rather then playing the same maps again and again with the same weapons for another year.

You hit the nail on the head. I agree completely with that, i found the new maps for COD4 to be a pretty abysmal failure so having a new multiplayer, despite it's flaws, is a nice change.

EDIT: As my xbox is broken i've borrowed my mates for a few days so i've played a few more matches of COD5. Some of those new maps are utter trash and shouldn't ever have been designed, let alone pushed into a final product. Some of them also are just disgustingly awesome :D So it's a mixed bag, i like having a new game, i've gotten some fun weapons (tho still only level 20) and while it's not perfect, it's one of the better games to come out recently. Love it or hate it; it's not a complete failure.

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer

I stalked Mattheus today on HQ!
We pwned!

Mattheus

Head Gardener

Yeah was fun
You pwned me in a rather embarrassing manner in that first game though, where we were on opposing teams ¬¬ I'm still pretty damn inconsistent, some games I rape everyone and everything, other games I play like a one armed drunk. Oh well.

And yeah, back to good ol HQ for now, changed my mind and decided to prestige. Also working my way through the weapon challenges to maximise XP. Wanna rush through the levels.

Martin

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator

tobapopalos said:
I loved COD4 when I first got it. When I first played it online I stayed up all night playing it. With COD5 I had to force myself to play it with the hope that it would grow on me. It didn't. The more I played it, the more things I found to dislike about it.

Same, I think I've had it 2-3 weeks? Played it about 3 hours, just trying to force myself to level up and hope that it gets better.
I've not even got my internet connection to my X-Box anymore due to my lack of interest.... I'm finding studying more interesting (which can't necessarily be a bad thing).

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer

Use a sniper!
Waaaay more fun :p

Enigma

Weeder

I went to CoD WaW after having CoD4 and spending alot of fun times running and gunning.... CoD4 was the first FPS that I can say I truly enjoyed since Goldeneye on N64.

To expand on my experience, I got Resistance Fall of Man when i first got my PS3 and thought, this is great... but after a few hours online, it sorta felt like it had no real purpose. Just one off games, you won or you lost, then you started another game. So I quickly became bored of it.... and same with alot of other FPS I played.

So when CoD4 came along with modern weapons, the online level-up system, perks and promotions, needless to say I was hooked and have wasted a lot of hours on it.

Because of my love of CoD4, I'll admit I was eagerly waiting CoD WaW, especially after hearing that it was going to be built with on same engine as CoD4.

And i wasn't disappointed.

I forced myself to play through the single-player campaign entirely before i touched online, and went straight for 'Hardened' ... so with all the complaints on how short the offline mode was, i'll admit it still took me the better part of a week (a few hours a day) to get through it... it was tough, but that just made the sense of gratification greater. Currently I'm only 2 levels from finishing it on Veteran (but more sidetracked with online now)

If I had to state the difference between the two games (ignoring the obvious gun changes), I'd say that CoD4 felt more like a SWAT type game, small teams, you enter an area, and clear out the bad guys with precision and general sneakiness. Whereas CoD WaW is a more frantic battle between two larger groups and from the moment you enter an area, the enemy knows you're there... and more likely already lining you up for the kill.

With online mode, it delivered everything I loved about CoD4, but with more detailed maps with a heap more nooks & crannies.

At first I would have rated the CoD4 maps better (I loved the expansion maps), but now that I know the maps a bit better in WaW, I'd have to say I much prefer the CoD WaW maps hands-down.

When not sniping (and even then sometimes), I generally like to circle the maps looking for bunkered down groups to wipe out... in CoD4, I could do a lap of a map in a minute or so, then be back to where I started.... and mostly you come across one or 2 at most at a time. With CoD WaW, it takes alot longer, and I find myself in more epic gun battles with the opposition in larger numbers, instead of running in, knifing shooting and running out, I had a battle not long ago where both teams were squaring off in parts of the map for a good couple of minutes before one team finally broke and the other could advance. I've never had that in CoD4. In CoD4 if you find yourself in that situation, a few granades and a brief flanking maneuver and it was all over.

In an ideal world, what I would really love, is for the CoD4 and CoD WaW maps to be interchangeable.... ie. I'd love to play CoD WaW maps with CoD4 guns - that would rock :D

All I can say in closing is that CoD WaW is a little harder than CoD4 in some aspects and I think overall is a slight improvement on CoD4, and with that comes greater satisfaction when you do start pwning at it..... and bring on CoD Modern Warfare2 :D

Oh and if any of you have PS3 and wanna hook up for some killing, add me =

PSN Nick: E-N-I-G-M-A

Oh and I know alot have seen these, but here are some amusing 'Demotivational' posters with a CoD take (the 'courage' one is gold)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61/st ... /greed.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61/st ... ourage.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61/st ... strike.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61/st ... impact.jpg

Treedude

Harvester

Haven't played online at all really (seen as my xbox is frigged as well, need a new laser for the drive :( ), wasn't digging it all that much but I'm still at boot camp level so can't really judge.

Do have to say that Nazi Zombies is freaking awesome tho, haven't played online but having co-op on 1 xbox for it is so much fun, love playing it with a mate, just love how intense it is (didnt know there was a glitch tho, hadn't explored every nook and cranny). Oh and having a co-op mode in general is a massive improvement for me over cod4 (probably the only one i can see so far, but again haven't explored it as much with the xbox being mauled), i always hated that i couldnt play the story through with a mate.

Story mode is great tho, and nazi zombies, just gotta hope that once i start to play the online multiplayer more that i get into it as much as cod4, not being filled with confidence by most peoples posts here tho lol

Satureum

Pruner

I'd like to share the strategy my friend and I put in to play whilst playing this game. As it seems not a lot of you play it. So, this should get you started.

In the beginning, do not buy any weapons. From about Round 1 to Round 3, let the Zombies come through the windows. Knife them, do not shoot them, and repair the windows. If you have 4 people, you can probably go to Round 5 or 6 with Knifing them and letting them in. This causes you to gain money, massive amounts of money. About Round 9, open the Help Door. Go in to this room, and start buying the random weapons until two, or all of you, get the Ray Gun and a Light Machine gun, such as the MG-42, or preferably the Browning. One with 125 round clip is best, in case you can't reload your Ray Gun.
After two of you, or even all of you, have gotten Brownings, Ray Guns, or a flame thrower for when you pick up Instant Kills, head up stairs from the Help Room. Head to the room with the other set of stairs, but DO NOT OPEN them. In this room, there are only Grenades and a Shotgun, but hopefully you will pick up Max Ammo quite often, as we did ourselves. The best part about this area, is there are only two entrances. A window, which they rarely go for, and a door way, which they funnel in to. Have someone stand at the window, to make sure no Zombies fight their way through it, have someone standing next to them facing the door way, this will keep any stray Zombies from attacking that player from behind and allow them to help the player guarding the window, have another person stand by the Grenade Pouch, and repeatedly throw Grenades through the door way, making sure to buy more Grenades, and throw them, very good for taking their health down in later Rounds(grenades don't do the job after round 20, they just hurt them), and then have someone standing in front of the door way, where they can see the window, and the door. This person absolutely must have the Ray Gun, and a Light Machine Gun, in case they have to reload.
Now, if you don't have four people playing, you can change this around, but I'm telling you, that room is the best place to hold them.
So...
1. Help Room
2. EVERYONE get a Ray Gun and a Light Machine Gun, one person with a Shot Gun for the window
3. Stair Case from the Help Room
4. Don't move the couch to the other stairs
5. Let loose on the bastards.

^If you read this, then you know I'm right. And you will more than likely try this, if you have not all ready.
A friend of mine, and myself, have made it to Round 24 using this technique, it works, good.
Thanks for reading.

dangerdan

Digger

you're all getting me so excited about it :D , i don't have it yet, but i might in a few days

Satureum

Pruner

dangerdan said:
you're all getting me so excited about it :D , i don't have it yet, but i might in a few days

Get it. Now.
I don't even know you and I'd have to beat you repeatedly for not having it!