Call of Duty 5

Mattheus

Head Gardener
So, it's finally out! Who else has it? Seeing as cod4 is one of the most common topics in #bushtarion I thought I'd make a topic!

Just got it today, and so far so good! I haven't even touched the single player yet, hell I didn't even bother with the cod4 single player for weeks after I got it. The multiplayers where its at! :D

Seeing as it's pretty much cod4 stuck in WWII gameplay wise with a few extra perks and changes it was always gonna be awesome.

My main annoyance atm is the severe lack of maps, there really is feck all :/ I only got cod4 a few months ago so maybe that was like this when it first came out? I can only hope they release some more pronto as I've only seen like 5 maps.

As for the kill streak perks:
cod4 airstrike > cod5 artillery barrage - Yeah the artillery barrage lasts a fair bit longer, but a) it takes ages to get there meaning it relies more on luck of someone being there at the time they land b) I've ran through a barrage a few times, it seems that unless you get hit directly all it does is shake the ground and blur your vision.

cod5 dogs > cod4 chopper. The dogs are borderline overpowered imo. Yeah you can kill them, but they run pretty damn fast and you often get swamped by 2-3. It's not uncommon for a chopper in cod4 to get feck all kills. So far the dogs have consistently netted me at least 5-6 kills.

For that reason I can see that it will be easier in cod5 to get bigger kill streaks. I've had the game for a few hours and I already have a 24 kill streak. My record in cod4 was 16 after having it for 2-3 months.

So far my fav weapons are the Gewehr 43 and the Thompson. The Gewehr 43 is basically the G3, but to me seems to have more accuracy and seems easier to spam the trigger, no idea why. It does have a pretty damn small magazine size though, and the reload time is pretty ****. But heyho I prefer it to the other single shot rifles so far.
Theres still a **** load of weapons for me to unlock, so we'll see how they turn out!

Anyway, ramble over. You should all get it!

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Re: Call of Duty 5

I've had it for a few days. So far i'm pretty pleased with it.

SP was fun, but the Russian portions have been done to death and back so while it was loads of fun, it wasn't particularly refreshing or new. however, i'd never played the Pacific before so that was new for me and i had a GREAT time. banzai attacks, ambushes, night time attacks etc AWESOME.

The multiplayer has been pretty fun. I like the open nature of the maps with a combination of close quarters combat options. Means you can snipe if you're good, but you can't camp and lock down an entire map. There are far fewer chokepoints so far in the maps that i've discovered.

The weapons are interesting to say the least, i've found the rifles to be by far my favourite class, as they are accurate, and you can squeeze off a bunch of rounds awfully quickly. Machineguns are either weak, or insanely hard to keep on target. Maybe i'm just crap ;)

Your analysis of the kill streak options is perfect, airstrike is lame in comparison, and the dogs are insanely hard to beat. I find a clip into the dogs attacking and then using melee for close range to be necessary. Even then i die too often with the dogs, and they net plenty of kills when they are unleashed.

Mattheus

Head Gardener

OK, just been playing some more. The number of maps isn't as bad as I originally thought. I had been playing free for all and it turns out theres a whole bunch of maps not available for that mode!
I have to admit I'm also not a big fan of the vehicles, but it's only a minor quibble.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

Mattheus said:
I have to admit I'm also not a big fan of the vehicles, but it's only a minor quibble.

Fortunately many of the maps don't have vehicles, and the tanks themselves die fairly easily. More easily i think than the helicopters of COD4. :) 2 RPGs and an anti tank grenade and the player will either jump out, or die in the next few seconds. :) most people i've played with so far hate the now inevitably and originally nicknamed 'tankers'.

Treedude

Harvester

Just been playing through the 1 player, loving it, especially having Jack Bauer as one of the main voices :p Wasn't sure how I'd feel about the change to WWII from Modern Warfare as this is the first WWII CoD game ive played but I'm loving, still a bloody intense affair. Looking forward to finishing it so I can get fired right into the multiplayer (i like to finish the 1 player first so i'm not absolutely terrible by the time i go online :p), expecting it to be as fun as 4 was tho. Overall tho so far it seems awesome

Oh and about the vehicles, I find the tanks hard as hell to move and evade rockets etc at times, was getting an absolute mutiny with it, still I suppose that will get better with practice

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

Treedude said:
Oh and about the vehicles, I find the tanks hard as hell to move and evade rockets etc at times, was getting an absolute mutiny with it, still I suppose that will get better with practice

I just keep grinding ahead on those tank tracks and shoot anything that moves. or did anyways, before my xbox died :(

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer

Treedude said:

I thought the tank mission was a bit crap. Fairly boring. I died a few times at the start of it because I didn't know what to do, but it was a piece of piss once I got the hang of it.

I'm going through Berlin atm with the Soviet dude. It's pretty awesome.

Mattheus

Head Gardener

Bleh, While I'm still enjoying it, theres a few niggling issues with the multiplayer which are annoying me a tad.

1) The size of the maps. Generally they're a LOT bigger in this one. That in itself is not a bad thing, but when you consider that they've left the player limit per game the same, it makes for some pretty sparsely populated levels. Seelow for example, that map is frickin huge. But you spend half the damn time just running around trying to find anyone. 6 players per team is not enough.

2) Tanks. Holy hell these annoy me. They really stagnate a game. For one they take too much to kill (may be easier on hardcore alci), and it also makes the sparsely populated levels even worse. Some of the levels have 3 tanks, each potentially having 2 people in them. Considering that every other fecking idiot rushes straight for the tanks that makes up to 6 players in a game sitting in big ass tanks not playing cod how it's meant to be. So finding enemy players to kill gets even harder.

3) The weapons. Bleh I know its WWII and all, but so far I'm not really liking many of the weapons. It feels like I'm spending half the time fighting the gun as I am fighting the other team. In cod4 most of the weapons felt just as good as the other, each with their own advantages and style of play attached. In this one it feels more like each weapon being as bad as each other. Shrug maybe with more time I'll get used to them or I'll unlock a weapon which I'll love :p

4) Dogs - overpowered.

5) Lack of maps for free for all :( I enjoy a good free for all ruckus, but theres like 5 maps available for that mode, unlike cod4 where they were all playable for it. It'll obviously be because the other maps are too big. But I really don't see why they can't have a dynamic max player limit for each level depending on the size, instead of a one-size-fits-all strategy. Seelow needs way more then 6 players per team, but dome probably needs less.

Anyway, ramble over. I'm still loving it, but it doesn't seem quite as well balanced as cod4 atm.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

pretty much agree with that assessment now mattheus except for the weapons. I'm loving the rifles, and submachineguns are okay but i'm not wild about them.

the machineguns are fun too imo. far more than they were in COD4...

Tanks were less annoying at the start because i think fewer people played in them. I haven't played in about 6 days because my xbox has died so i'm out of the loop as far as multiplayer evolution goes. They seem to have been a random afterthought...

If you think dogs are overpowered in regular, wait for hardcore: it's absolutely psychotic. I died 14 times in a row to the same set of dogs because you just can't stop more than one. Even one is impossible unless you see it coming a mile away or manage to melee attack at exactly the right moment. Bloody awful. And there's absolutely no defence against it.

Mattheus

Head Gardener

Yeah I gave hardcore a go right until someone released the dogs :p It was ridiculous. But I was never a big fan of hardcore mode anyway so I won't miss it much

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

Mattheus said:
Yeah I gave hardcore a go right until someone released the dogs :p It was ridiculous. But I was never a big fan of hardcore mode anyway so I won't miss it much

i'm mostly annoyed because it's makes it pretty much unplayable and the one thing i like about hardcore the most is that it evens out the gun power... guns are no longer imbalanced because everyone dies to pretty much 1-2 shots. I like that kind level playing field. Either way, we've got some massive massive patches coming up soon or the game is going to plummet like a rock.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer

After playing this game a bit more, I have some advice for anyone tempted to buy it.

If you want to buy Call of Duty 5 for the multiplayer, just don't. Play Call of Duty 4 instead. It's so much better it isn't even funny.

The single player is good, but they have absolutely wrecked the online play. Tanks are stupidly overpowered and just ruin half the levels. Dogs are incredibly infuriating. You can kill a couple of them, but as they just respawn they always get you in the end. Most of the levels are far too big and you can run round for ages and not see a single person. There isn't any reward for getting headshots anymore (might not bother some people, but I liked getting the gold guns on COD4). The claymores from COD4 are now bouncing betties, which are even more annoying than claymores as they're very difficult to see and impossible to avoid if you trigger them (there was always a chance you could run through a claymore and survive on COD4). And you also get spawn killed a hell of a lot more than you did on COD4. I had a game the other day where I spawned and got killed straight away 4 times in a row. I didn't even have time to move or look around.

Meh. I'm so disappointed in this game. I think I'm just going to exchange it at GameStation and get some money back.

philipd12

Harvester

Got it a few days ago and imo not as good as cod 4 :(
But it will probably grow on me as I didn't really like cod 4 when I first got it

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer

I loved COD4 when I first got it. When I first played it online I stayed up all night playing it. With COD5 I had to force myself to play it with the hope that it would grow on me. It didn't. The more I played it, the more things I found to dislike about it.

Mattheus

Head Gardener

Yeah toby, as you can see from my earlier posts I agree with most of your points. For me it's still good though, still better then 90% of the other games on the xbox. rather then cod5 being bad, it's just that cod4 was so awesome. If you were judging cod5 on its own I think it would do quite well.
I've been playing almost solid headquarters games recently to rush through the levels just so I can reach level 65 to try out all the guns. Finally made it last night.
Imo the best guns are all unlocked in the later levels unlike cod4. I'd say this is also a bad thing, but it's not the end of the world. I have found myself enjoying it more since I got access to guns I preferred.

I don't think I'm going to bother doing the prestige stuff. They did introduce the extra custom slots as incentives but thats not enough of a temptation for me. If it had been cod4 I'd have probs done it, as some of my favourite weapons were unlocked early. But thats not the case here. Five slots will be fine.

Oh, and the flamethrower perk you unlock at level 65 is mucho fun 8)

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer

Sniper playing is great.
Only weapon i've used and i have a KD of 1.4 :)

Been playing alot of TDM and FFA ...
Don't really like HQ.

Impressed :)

Mattheus

Head Gardener

So I finally got round to playing through the single player. Pretty cool! Anyone else played much of the nazi zombie mode? It's pretty fun!

I'm getting more into the multiplayer now, still think on the whole cod4 is better but it's still awesome.

Favourite weapons atm are the FG42, the PPSh-41 (holy hell the fire rate on this gun makes the P90 look like a bolt action rifle) I use the MG42 a fair bit too even though it's damn hard to hit anyone at range with it dancing around all over the place.

Edit - Also, how many realised it was none other then Gary Oldman doing the voice of sgt Reznov in the single player? It's pretty obvious it was Kiefer Sutherland doing the voice of the American dude, Jack Bauer's voice is recognisable anywhere but I was pretty surprised to see Oldman's name in the credits...I didn't recognise his voice :eek: Thats a pretty good scoop for the game imo, he's a big actor, a step up from Sutherland imo

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer

Yeah zombie mode is bugged though.
Can glitch in a corner and not be touched at all :p

Sweet idea though