nobreakspace (Official community resource - News/Updates)

Garrett

Landscape Designer
Re: nobreakspace

Maxi said:
Ultimately this is up to Azzer, so I'm curious as to what he has to say. Quite funny how people love it when it's free but want it banned when it's not. :p

qft

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator

Maxi said:
Ultimately this is up to Azzer, so I'm curious as to what he has to say. Quite funny how people love it when it's free but want it banned when it's not. :p

my thoughts exactly...its as if the community is gradually getting less intelligent as time goes on...

Garrett

Landscape Designer

pinpower said:
Maxi said:

my thoughts exactly...its as if the community is rapidly getting less intelligent as time goes on...

fixed

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

Maxi said:

i'd be happy to pay for it, i just can't afford it. I also, am a poor student. ;) I don't want it banned because it's a sweet tool and polo deserves to have it used. I just think there should be at least some review (by Azzer of course) of the tool to see if the advantages are unfair or not. i'm pretty much easy one way or the other as i'll use it if i can, and won't if i can't. :D

Over to you Azzer!

Treebee

Digger

The amusing thing for me is - those willing to pay for this are the same who are willing to throw in a bunch of time on this game. If one of the goals of Azzer's recent nnovations is to make this game more competitive - to make the disparity between the frequent dominators and the up-and-coming competitiors a little less, then this tool is working against the game. Think, who are the ones willing to pay for the tool?

I played in Monotony last round. We did our best to challenge the frequent domnators. We were a bunch of IRC friends who wanted to try to change the hierarchy of the game. We bought PUs and supported the game. But I don't think any of those 18 players have paid or will pay for this plugin. If we were to try to challenge the dominators again, we'd be at an even-greater disadvantage.

I admire Polo's entrepreneurial spirit. I think it's great, and I fully support him. But if I'm Azzer, I'm going to make a decision based on what I think is best for the game. And frankly, as it currently stands, it's not helping us reach our goals.

A caveat I will make here is noting that the goal I identified - greater competition - is not a defined goal of the game. In fact, from my conversations with Azzer and from participation in Creator's Day, I have come to understand that Azzer prefers to pander to the stable veterans than do anything significant in helping new players become competitive within the game. It's an understandable dilemma. But if Azzer were to disagree with my goal that a greater competitive atmosphere is the route forward, then the whole logic on which my post is based crumbles.

-Tree

Garrett

Landscape Designer

how is your ineffectiveness of last round, related to polo asking for donors in this round? he's been taking donations for a while, but only this round has everyone started flaring up.

Hell had such an early lead that there was no way that you could 'challenge' the top. The tool makes spying and ar guessing much easier, but it doesn't make up for the lack of tactics that 90% of everyone is showing in the past 6 months.

marvin

Tree Surgeon

Treebee said:
I played in Monotony last round. We did our best to challenge the frequent domnators. We were a bunch of IRC friends who wanted to try to change the hierarchy of the game. We bought PUs and supported the game. But I don't think any of those 18 players have paid or will pay for this plugin. If we were to try to challenge the dominators again, we'd be at an even-greater disadvantage.

*cough*

woops :D

<3 (Mrs.)Tree

Khris

Pruner

pinpower said:
Maxi said:

my thoughts exactly...its as if the community is gradually getting less intelligent as time goes on...

I believe ppl dont like it as much now as its now just for the "select" it lost its edge as the free addon to help noobs get a grasp of the game. Now its just the tool for ppl who are willing to spend more and more money on it. Hard to get ppl who havent played a game to come in when its "yeah you gotta pay this much for a unit and this much for that"

Whats next... charge per tick? I like the add on, but i think if its going to be allowed, there needs to be a version that EVERYONE can use. Then the "premium" acct for donators or something. As has been said, it is now another advantage for ppl who already had advantages to begin with

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator

you dont need this add on...i dont have it..i dont plan on getting it...there are free applications available still so if you really feel the need to have one download those...

i am almost without speech that this is creating this much of a debate...its baffling...

Cyrus

Official Helper
Community Operator

like i said in one of my very first posts, previous addons have been banned if im not mistaken for the simple fact that the designer wouldnt publically let people use them, yeah its all well saying its usable by every BUT you gotta pay, thats not really feesable is it?

and like someone else says, the reason its becoming of need to be a purchasable thing is because the graphs, azzer im sure would host this addon if its to be made public

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

pinpower said:
you dont need this add on...i dont have it..i dont plan on getting it...there are free applications available still so if you really feel the need to have one download those...

i am almost without speech that this is creating this much of a debate...its baffling...

you don't think it gives any advantages to those who can't afford it? i'm surprised at you pinpower, usually you're a beacon of reason ;)

it's not really a question of necessity and whether or not we 'need' the addon, it's whether or not it's actually available to everyone and whether or not it gives an unfair advantage to those purchasers.

Iamsmart

Landscape Designer

I think buying game cash gives an infinitely larger advantage than this add-on...

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer

If you buy game cash/P-unit etc is completely different thing.
Those are part of the game and by buying those you support the game and Azzers development of it.

Instead this add-on is not part of the game, and in its current state it is giving unfair advantage for people paying for it.

This is not matter of if I could afford to pay, or hell even if I play at all atm. This is simply matter of what has happend before and balance of this game. I dont need any add-ons even if I would play, I started playing this game at time when no one ever thought about such possibilities. Still I feel like this has gone too far... When ever someone makes a tool that is giving unfair advantage to certain limited group it is against the spirit of this game. That is one and only restriction to any tools I have seen in use, and as such this tool is nowdays completely against history and spirit of the game.

Now I have said same things what 3 times and I will leave rest to Azzer I really want to see what will he decide, tho I must say it is taking way too long for him to decide. He should have made his mind weeks ago when it was revealed that polos add-on is for payers only.

Bunion

Harvester

Doesn't work with FF3 and he said on the website that he wont be updating it.

timtadams

Landscape Designer

The plugin doesnt really help that much, I mean, it doesnt really tell you anything that you couldnt work out for yourself.
Its not hard to work out if you have enough harvesters, and you dont need the plugin to tell you who is defending or attacking in a spy report. The only thing i sometimes use it for is to see how much money im making, which you can still work out yourself, and that doesnt help you anyway. I know it doesnt help me.

The point is, its hard to see the advantage of the plugin, and even those who pay for it, what they are really paying for is just something to make make their lives easier by doing the maths for them.

Its neat, and handy, but i dont think it really gives a great competitive advantage, and so i dont think it really matters if some people have it while others dont.

TheNamelessWonder

Tree Surgeon

Except that some people just won't do the math, and others are too stupid to.

Khris

Pruner

timtadams said:
The plugin doesnt really help that much, I mean, it doesnt really tell you anything that you couldnt work out for yourself.
Its not hard to work out if you have enough harvesters, and you dont need the plugin to tell you who is defending or attacking in a spy report. The only thing i sometimes use it for is to see how much money im making, which you can still work out yourself, and that doesnt help you anyway. I know it doesnt help me.

The point is, its hard to see the advantage of the plugin, and even those who pay for it, what they are really paying for is just something to make make their lives easier by doing the maths for them.

Its neat, and handy, but i dont think it really gives a great competitive advantage, and so i dont think it really matters if some people have it while others dont.

You are very wrong.

The new version does tons of things... Stealth/funds score. Works out inactive times... all types of ****. There is alot of stuff he added to the "pay for play" version. like any good business man would :p

f0xx

Landscape Designer

Khris said:
Works out inactive times...

That is actually the only REAL advantage the plug-in gives and it is worth using only against solos. I still see nothing wrong in the plug-in, nothing wrong with the fact that he asks people to pay for it, I would have done the same on his place if I had the time and knowledge.

In the end people won't become better players just because of a plug-in, just the opposite.