#Bushtarion

harriergirl

Landscape Designer
Re: #Bushtarion

Bush channel is not worth my time or effort. It generally is only stupid spam or ops talking about WOW. At one time I was ready and willing to help revive/moderate the channel but after talking with Azzer I am convinced he either doesn't care or is too thick in the head to understand what it would take to turn it around .

Sorry if this isn't the happy suggestion thread you wanted Asmo, I love you personally but the channel is just another symptom of the game.

f0xx

Landscape Designer

harriergirl said:
I am convinced he either doesn't care or is too thick in the head to understand what it would take to turn it around .

Quite ironical actually how the channel is a small representation of the game itself :p

Garrett

Landscape Designer

and after years of lax care and attention, now adopts a 0 tolerance policy.

when in doubt facism is always the way to go ;)

Mattheus

Head Gardener

The forums are in a much worse state. It's pretty much 5-6 people accounting for 75% of all the posts. The signal to noise ratio has gone wayyyy down.

The reason there are less people in #bushtarion nowadays is because there also happens to be less people playing the game. Simple as that. There have always been controversial ops, there have always been angry users. Thats not the issue here.

A fair whack of the posts in this thread from so called disenchanted IRC users are people who didn't actually go into the channel much in the first place, so it's not really important.

Bobbin

Head Gardener

Cyrus said:
and to add to my post, ops that care about the community not just the ban button. bobbin is a great ambassador for the 'we dont give a ****, we'll just ban you' club.

I give a ****. But I'm also a firm believer in the more you misbehave, the longer and more severe your punishments are. It's also the way Squiffy works. Being a repeat offender Cyrus I'm not surprised you get that impression from me, you're on a short leash sadly, as are alot of other people who get the harsher punishments. And it's your own doing.

Steve-God said:
1) The ops aren't welcoming: some of them are, however the majority aren't.
2) The conversation always seems to be about Herpes...
3) The people that are there, are often idling and not actually there at all.

1) What do you expect us to do, give a huge welcoming message to everyone that joins? Always be happy? You want us to become no more than nice welcoming bots? Sorry but we're people too, and the fact is, not all of us like everyone.
2) I never leave the channel, and I can't remember a conversation about herpes ever.
3) That's the point of IRC. You idle until there is a conversation you want to join in with.

Garett said:
how many times must people complain about gadfly, bobbin and others?

I've never gone into #bushtarion save to look for people. However, how do I know these names... because people (as in multiple and no not just 1 or 2 trouble makers... Other than the list of usual suspects I have no clue who is a *burden* in irc cuz i'm not there) have griped long and hard over these people.

Agreed. You're never there, so you have no idea how it is inside #Bushtarion.
Many people gripe about you also Garett. We're polite enough to keep gripes about people private though, and don't go for what comes down to little more than a witch hunt.

Garett said:
So even if gadfly and bobbin WERE innocent, which they most undoubtedly are NOT innocent, eventually after the # of complaints you'd think that Azzer would do some PR.

You know, I'm not innocent. I treat some people differently to others. Because some people deserve to be treated differently. Everyone is different and to treat people exactly the same would be akin to wanting everyone to be exactly the same. I never abuse the power I have though. Every kick and ban i give is for good reason, and are made using my best judgement using the rules that are set out as a guideline.

Garett said:
Half the misunderstandings from some of the logs I've seen is over the difference of the command of languages. Non-native english speaking and even American to Queen's English has different terms and contexts. In that respect we've got some pretty intolerant Ops up in this piece.
The nature of a multi-national and multi-cultural environment. And it's not just the ops that are intolerant. Alot of the users are too.

mrmongo said:
oooh the perfect solution to getting me back in #bushtarion would be to remove my ban.......

None of the ops can. As far as I know you're banned by Azzer. None of us have the power to over turn Azzer's rulings. If you want to be unbanned then speak to him about it.

harriergirl said:
It generally is only stupid spam or ops talking about WOW.

Of course we try and keep the spam down. But to complain about a channel where any topic of conversation is allowed (within reason... even political and religious debates are allowed, I can list alot of places they are not.) that the topic of conversation is WoW is just plain daft. If you don't like the topic then talk about something else. The great thing about technologies such as IRC, is you can have more than one conversation going on at a time, and if you don't like the current topic, you're more than welcome to start a new one.

Mattheus said:
A fair whack of the posts in this thread from so called disenchanted IRC users are people who didn't actually go into the channel much in the first place, so it's not really important.

I agree, a fair number of the complainers about the channel are those who never sit in there for more than a few minutes at a time. Sorry but joining for two minutes then leaving is not going to give you a decent view on how the channel is. I'm not saying it's perfect by any means, or that the amount of users in there hasn't gone down. But to complain about a channel when you spend 2 minutes at a time in there, is also, plain daft.

How to get people back in the channel? Hell if I know. But, I'm not going to let people bash me and my friends, because I'm telling you now, the channel and how it is run has not changed much in the past 5/6 years, If anything, the rules are now clearer... So it seems to me, how the channel is run is not the problem, it's you lot.

Garrett

Landscape Designer

thank you for proving my point bobbin. continuation of blaming the playerbase has done wonders for building the community.

you don't know how to fix it because you don't care. you have your title. you are hanging on to it, and I suspect because you have no other power in real life. keep it up! fine job.

Mattheus

Head Gardener

Garrett, no disrespect here, but you have more posts in this thread then anyone else, yet a sight of you in the channel is as rare as an apology from Blackwolf or an admittance of being wrong from Bobbin. And please don't say the very reason for this is your reasoning outlined in this thread. I've been a regular in the channel for long enough to know that you've never made a habit of popping in for a chat.

I'll be the first to say that not all the ops are shining beacons of authority, but it's always been like that. This is not the root cause of the dwindling channel numbers. Threads complaining about the ops have been around since the birth of #bushtarion itself, yet the current trend of worried threads regarding dwindling IRC numbers is by comparison fresh on the scene. Seeing the problem here? It holds to reason that a shrinking playerbase will have the same effect on IRC numbers, right?

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

Mattheus said:
It holds to reason that a shrinking playerbase will have the same effect on IRC numbers, right?

Proportionally it seems that IRC, and #bushtarion in particular has represented a fraction of the bushtarion playerbase and probably even continues to be so, therefore a decline in players would be reflected even more starkly in the IRC room. A matter of percentages there too.

In light of this thread (probably), conversation has been lively tonight in #bushtarion. Y'all are missing out ;)

harriergirl

Landscape Designer

Yet one more kneejerk, overreacting, self-important, oh poor me post from Bobbin. I would blame bobbin, but Azzer thinks that his behavior is acceptable and even preferable to a customer service friendly format where ops are there to welcome, teach and keep the forums lively rather than sit around, go on about a different game entirely and be more interested in thier own feelings and impositions that those of a dwindling failing player base that could be well bolstered by having People-friendly ops and moderators.

What is best is the backlash I will receive from this post as people I considered to be friends regardless of their ophood have taken spectacular umbrage at my very valid suggestions.

it's quite disgusting...

Wacky

Planter

Does Azzer even bother with this game anymore?
News/Updates: Latest "Portal" News/Update post: Mon 18th Aug, 2008..
No admin message either....

There's your problem.

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator

Steve_God said:
2) The conversation always seems to be about Herpes...

Steve, if you need help just ask...you dont have to hide your problems anymore...

;)

Also, the reason im not in #Bushtarion anymore is cos im far too lazy to click TWICE on an icon to load it...

Alvestein

Garden Designer

Alcibiades said:
In light of this thread (probably), conversation has been lively tonight in #bushtarion. Y'all are missing out ;)

that's totally because i read this thread and decided to get off my butt(well actually get on it) and start some fun discussions to get the irc room going again. if i can do it plenty of you guys can :D and if this Thread causes even just a few more discussions to start in #bushtarion i'd call it a positive :)

Defender

Weeder

i havent been an active player of this gane for about 2-3 years now due to not having time with A-levels and now work, but i have kept an account just to watch how the game is going and kept an eye on the forums.

and i have to say that for all the complaints about IRC that i have seen i dont think i have once seen Azzer publicly look into any of the problems hasent even asked to see logs of problems with his OP's.

Also bobbin your personal feelings have nothing to do with your duties as an OP, whether you like someone or not should not change how you judge their behaviour on IRC and dish out punishments, if it does then you should sort that out or hand in your title. i personaly am in the armed forces so have some first hand experiance with what danage people with responcibilties can do when they get their feelings involved, and if this is the case with you, then YOU not the players could be seriously damaging this games community. I can be arsed to look but just out of interest is there a public rulebook for the IRC channel? that night help, but with the state of the manual now-a-days i doubt it, but something like that would definatly straighten most things out.

ps. sorry about typing mistakes but this keyboard is tiny

Saints

Harvester

i say just start all over and un bann all the users in the ban book :flamer: hehehe /me isnt apart of that book btw

TheNamelessWonder

Tree Surgeon

Not going to bother to read this whole thread, but my $.02:

1) The moderation is very inconsistent. Depending on who is online, you can either get away with everything or you can get away with nothing. This of course is unacceptable, and can really turn some people off. The moderation must be more or less uniform.
1a) I would give consideration to replacing the veteran ops with some fresh blood.
2) The channel is dead half the time, and the other half of the time the conversation is not related to Bush. The first problem is a result of there simply not being many people in the channel, and the second is a function of the game slowly dying. The interest isn't there. And that is a problem that extends far beyond just IRC.
2a) Azzer needs to give a ****, or at least act like he does.

Edit after reading Markb's above post: Those rules leave a whole hell of a lot up to the discretion of the ops, which gives some a complex (read: shiny jackboots) and certainly is to blame for problem #1.

atsanjose

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator

i think bush irc is just fine,
its only the mentality from the players (YOU) that is slacking.

whenever i come online its always the same few people who are throwing lines, and thank you for that ofc, but the rest of you nobodys who arent in there, or even worse are in there but just apathicly look at the room and do and say nothing besides breathing 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide and a few other gasses which origin probbebly has something to do with what you ate last night, can ask yourselfs the question of why you dont like irc, rather then blame it on to people who happen to have an @ in front of their pseudonims

harriergirl

Landscape Designer

atsanjose said:
can ask yourselfs the question of why you dont like irc, rather then blame it on to people who happen to have an @ in front of their pseudonims

I love IRC , I hang out in several alliance and ex alliance channels as well as my new Runescape alliance channel. Those channels are lively, interesting and in the case of the Runescape channel it's also decenly moderated. When I go into these rooms I'm made to feel welcome, there is conversation in there that interests me, the runescape room has a little script with helpful information about the game. Sometimes we play games, trivia, or just get silly and stupid. If I ask a question I'm given a couple smart arsed but good natured answers but I'm also given a correct answer with good information about where, how, why the answer is what it is. People congratulate my progress and the moderators seem genuinely interested in my progress and my triumphs.

I don't blame the ops, I blame Azzer.