irc / #bushtarion / Bans

mrmongo

Harvester
soooooooo i know this person who was banned from irc.... well the #bushtarion channel... its been a good 3-4 months now i think and still he is banned... When he asks ops or Azzer when this ban is up there is just ignorance returned.
Shouldnt there be a system which tells you how long you are banned for? So you can plan for your reimmergence into the #bushtarion community... you know buy some flowers, book a dj and have a little party... not forgetting some delectable nibbles to feast on and some herpes protection as we all know some of you chumps dont strap it up before you slap it up thus increasing the ever present society of herps ridden filth!
Its been a lonley time for this person idling in a pretty boring Doro public channel.... i know they have a public and private channel now what a shocker i thought only alliances needed their annonyimity* protected and they promised to me directly that there will be no rule breaking of serious intent planned for the future.
So come bush god and his succubus minions and remove this ban or at least carry out sentancing in front of the suspect/guilty party so that he may count down the days to rebirth. :D

*did i spell it right? do i care? :p

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer
Re: irc / #bushtarion / Bans

I agree with the fact people should know how long the bans are so we can not join #bushtarion when you are removed from the ban list.

willymchilybily

Landscape Designer

i thought you always got told anyway.
4 months what he do? give azzer herpes? sounds a little extreme

but maybe this story could be a tad one sided. but i agree, that as on official helper or mod or some sortof governing figure in the #bushtarion channel community, even if the guy messaging you is a prick you hate... You Should Still Inform Him Of How Long He Is Banned for.

also i found when once baned for a short time. that most ops say "only (insert name of op who did the banning) can unban you or inform you of this." which doesnt help much. i agree bring in better irc system if your going to take the thing seriously.

all you do is if the guy is a prick instead of ignoring him say yeah it will be half a year ban. that way he has some sort of yard stick to go on. and you don't have to see him for half a year. or permant ban so at least he knows.

f0xx

Landscape Designer

You deserve all you're getting DP, stop whining and start thinking before you do/say something next time, you are not a little kid after all.

Maxi

Head Gardener
Super Moderator
Community Operator

Azzer has personally 'perm' banned you Mongo, a coupe times. It won't help bugging mods and ops about it, and as I have already explained you, we have no idea how long you are banned for, or if it's ever going to be removed. Obviously you have seem to have calmed down lately, but repeatedly breaking rules, offend people and evading existing bans several times won't help your cause. I'm all for giving people a second chance, but I'm pretty sure yours was given ages ago. ;)

All I can suggest is you send an account mail to Azzer and explain the situation. He isn't as badass as he wants us to think. He's even worse! :p

mrmongo

Harvester

f0xx said:
You deserve all you're getting DP, stop whining and start thinking before you do/say something next time, you are not a little kid after all.

LOL yeah maybe so... im not whining just asking a question.... if im permanently banned i will uninstall mirc as there is no other reason to have it on my comp. Sometimes Thinking isnt my strong point. heh

Maxi said:
Azzer has personally 'perm' banned you Mongo, a coupe times. It won't help bugging mods and ops about it, and as I have already explained you, we have no idea how long you are banned for, or if it's ever going to be removed. Obviously you have seem to have calmed down lately, but repeatedly breaking rules, offend people and evading existing bans several times won't help your cause. I'm all for giving people a second chance, but I'm pretty sure yours was given ages ago. ;)

All I can suggest is you send an account mail to Azzer and explain the situation. He isn't as badass as he wants us to think. He's even worse! :p

I wrote this here because i thought maybe azzer might have a look at the forums being a part of his creation an all that. i havent bugged anyone for a while. The thing aswelll why did i ban evade? to find out when the ban was lifted because nobody ever told me, is that such a crime? I been pretty pissed off with the world and had little tolerence for people giving me any **** but yeah ive calmed down now. I might account mail him or ill just delete IRC and think of it as a permanent ban. I even removed azzer from MSN cause he never responded and i think i might have pissed him off moaning about stuff heh

Maxi

Head Gardener
Super Moderator
Community Operator

Yes, you have the right to know, but ban evading isn't the way to go - it only adds more time to your ban. There are other means of contacting Azzer or an Op, think of account mail, ingame mail ID 1, forum pm, e-mail... ;)

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer

I really am not going to take sides to this convo, but it seems to me theres some serious problems with this system.
Did mongo try to infect everyone with some computer destroying virus? No?
Then why the **** his ban lasts for months?

Maxi

Head Gardener
Super Moderator
Community Operator

Repeat offenses on both IRC & forums, and for the whole explanation you'd have to wait for Azzer's answer. ;)

Maxi

Head Gardener
Super Moderator
Community Operator

BlackWolf said:
Then why the * his ban lasts for months?

You do seem to contradict yourself, lately. :p

Lukey

Harvester

f0xx said:
stop whining and start thinking before you do/say something next time, you are not a little kid after all.

Rich!

Maxi

Head Gardener
Super Moderator
Community Operator

No, you had a long temp-ban and you've been this morning, apparently. Don't let it happen again or you might get a 'perm' next time. ;)

Garrett

Landscape Designer

so obviously that's a yes :D

Augustus

Head Gardener

The Bushtarion channel seems to be governed by some shakey rules and inconsistent implementation of these rules. I personally stay out of the place because I feel that it is a local channel for local people. I agree with Mongo that there should at least be a notification of the ban that has been placed, even if it is permanent. To simply ignore someones request for an answer creates a dictatorial image of the game as a whole. Bearing in mind that Azzer is trying to push forward an image of a friendly community, some thought should be put into the current practices in the Bushtarion channel as well as the Forums.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

Augustus said:
The Bushtarion channel seems to be governed by some shakey rules and inconsistent implementation of these rules. I personally stay out of the place because I feel that it is a local channel for local people. I agree with Mongo that there should at least be a notification of the ban that has been placed, even if it is permanent. To simply ignore someones request for an answer creates a dictatorial image of the game as a whole. Bearing in mind that Azzer is trying to push forward an image of a friendly community, some thought should be put into the current practices in the Bushtarion channel as well as the Forums.

I've only recently been made an OP and while i'm not perfect by any stretch of the imagination i do try and be fair, i may be a tad politer to my friends but that is a bonus for them. I try to avoid playing favourites and invariably try to apply the rules that i'm aware of to everyone. That being said, i have tolerance for some people and not others, this is slightly different than playing favourites i think, because there are certain players i know very well with whom i can afford to be less officially strict and more of an informal personality with them. Some players who are repeat offenders receive very little courtesy for IRC related offenses and occasionally this treatment may seem cold, rude, or incompetent to those who are not in the know. Afaik the inconsistent application of the rules tends to come from an old rulebook that (it seems) very few people read and then personal interpretation on the part of the OP involved.

For bans longer than about 15 minutes or so i tend to inform the user if possible, or wait for them to PM me (which is inevitable), sometimes with abuse, sometimes not. It would be nice if when we banned someone tho it came up in their personal log or something, so that they could immediately and instantly see for how long they are banned.

Augustus you complain that we seem to be cold, and that we 'ignore' players. I'm still wet behind the ears as far as OPping goes, but i've already received more than my fair share of abuse in PMs for just doing my job. Respect is a two way street my friend, if you guys treat me like crap it makes me 'disinclined to acquiesce to your request.' It strikes me as ironic that the general population absolutely insists upon being treated with velvet gloves and a silver tongue when you rip into us with acid bile and vicious, absurd slanders. Did it ever occur to you why we might act in the ways we do? I'm not justifying all the snotty/crappy behaviour from OPs, but we are only human after all, and occasionally, just occasionally, a user is not right, and is not entitled to everything they want.

PS: Tbh i find it very hard to believe in the case of MrMongo that no one told him he was permanently banned. I have been wrong before, but i thought i heard about his permban when i was just a regular player in the #bushtarion channel. Seems unusual azzer wouldn't have let him know. :S You should be informed as to how long your ban is.

PPS: Talk politely to me and treat me with respect and chances are pretty good i'll return the favour, treat me like crap, and don't expect to be treated like royalty. Tit for tat.