Problem with PC again :(

Nitrous

Head Gardener
Hi there,

My PC has recently started shutting itself down recently at random moments. I don't mean shutting itself down as in, Windows shuts it down. I mean the CPU turns itself off - similar experience to when a power cut occurs.

Currently I deal with it simply by switching the CPU (the power switch located near the power supply) off and then back on again. Then try to boot the CPU. But sometimes, it doesn't work so I'll have to wait a few minutes then do it.

Can someone please help me identify the problem, and then also provide a solution?

All help is much appreciated.
Much Love
Nitrous
xxxxx

saint1d

Head Gardener
Re: Problem with PC again :(

I seem to remember someone else having a similar problem and that it was caused by overheating. I'm no expert but I'm sure this could be the problem.

Nitrous

Head Gardener

I think that was me too. But my PC wasn't shutting down randomly. :p

Just had a funny burning smell.

But if you're right in saying that. I have had my fan at full force on my CPU and its turnt off just like that three times in the last 10/15 minutes. :|

Hobbezak

Garden Designer

Nitrous said:
I think that was me too. But my PC wasn't shutting down randomly. :p

Just had a funny burning smell.

But if you're right in saying that. I have had my fan at full force on my CPU and its turnt off just like that three times in the last 10/15 minutes. :|

Yeah definitely sounds like overheating to me.
Check in your bios settings at what temperature your pc shuts down, and what temperature your pc is at at that moment (do it when you restart after it has shut down "randomly" :p).

Max

Garden Designer

My laptop has the same problem. Often when it's hot and I play WoW, it will just cut out completely and turn a blank. It's just overheated, try to keep a fan on your power cable / converter / thingy (I don't know what it's called... transformer?) or turn off the computer more often / play less demanding games or applications on it.

Hobbezak

Garden Designer

Max said:
My laptop has the same problem. Often when it's hot and I play WoW, it will just cut out completely and turn a blank. It's just overheated, try to keep a fan on your power cable / converter / thingy (I don't know what it's called... transformer?) or turn off the computer more often / play less demanding games or applications on it.

If he's using a desktop, he could just put an extra fan inside his pc, which might solve the problem. :p

Lupus

Head Gardener

if it persists i would try and get a new fan coz overheating is a sure way to wreck ur computer quickly, and Hobbezak is right all computers (that i know of) have an automatic shutdown temp but i wouldn't fiddle with the settings of it. i had similar problem with an old comp as it was next to a radiator so make sure there are no heat sources near it and apart from that should be fine, :D

Hobbezak

Garden Designer

Lupus said:
if it persists i would try and get a new fan coz overheating is a sure way to wreck ur computer quickly, and Hobbezak is right all computers (that i know of) have an automatic shutdown temp but i wouldn't fiddle with the settings of it. i had similar problem with an old comp as it was next to a radiator so make sure there are no heat sources near it and apart from that should be fine, :D

I never said he should change the setting, just to compare the shut down T with the actual T, which is imho the fastest way to check whether this is the problem or not.
(I've changed the setthing tho, it doesn't turn off anymore, but makes a fairly annoying noise when it's overheating, because I had a problem with some setting of my fan in the early days of my pc, so I wanted to be sure the problem was the overheating, because just shutting down says as much as "UNKNOWN ERROR" :p)

Lupus

Head Gardener

hehe my apologies hoobezak, ;D

Max

Garden Designer

Can I ask how to find the "Bios Settings" to check the temperature?

Lupus

Head Gardener

on start up usually f11 or f8

Hobbezak

Garden Designer

Max said:
Can I ask how to find the "Bios Settings" to check the temperature?

At start-up, you gotta press DEL or F8 or something, depending on your computer. It should say something like "DEL BIOS" when you've just pressed the powerbutton. :)

edit: Lupus = right and beat me to it. :(

Nitrous

Head Gardener

Overheating again!!! Geez, I think I'll take the advise of getting a new fan installed...

Thank you all! :D

PS Sorry saint1d, looks like you were right after all. <3

Maxi

Head Gardener
Super Moderator
Community Operator

Open the case and dust it out carefully. Should drop your temperatures loads, especially if you never clean it! ;)

Nitrous

Head Gardener

Maxi said:
Open the case and dust it out carefully. Should drop your temperatures loads, especially if you never clean it! ;)

I cleaned it out last time I had this problem mate. But back then, there was a burning smell, now its this problem.

*Sigh*

Guess I'll have to do it again.

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer

1. Check that all fans in your computer are running.
2. When you boot your PC start pressing del once a second, untill you reach bios.
From bios select PC health (or so) page, look at what kind of temperatures it tells both your CPU and system has.
Then look at what kind of shutdown temperature it has.
And as third put alarm to a bit lower temperature than what is shutdown temperature.

Then...
3. Tell us your temps.
4. Start windows, play some game untill it shuts down and see if it starts to keep freaking noice before that. If it does it is temp problem.
5. Get new fan... might as well put this as #1 too... as you just cant have too many fans... :p