Graphics Card

Rosa

Pruner
Okkk so I purchased a new computer a few months ago and it has a crappy intel family chipset installed in it. Now I need help from you experts about what graphic card I should be getting. My budget... I'm hoping to get one for around 150 - 100 dollars [Canadian money]. I'm looking at the nvidia 8800 GT or nvidia 9600 GT models. Yeah however it's really hard to choose anything since a lot of them have a billion options and yet I don't know which one of them are important or anything :p

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer
Re: Graphics Card

Ati 4850 or 4870.
Dont go for Nvidia unless you have money to buy 280
4850 beats the crap out of all nvidia cards, specially those 8800, 9600 etc... and it costs a lot less.

4850 is best bang for the buck atm.

Hippie

Harvester

F0xx, the 7800 series is great. i have a 7800gtx oc and it is still one of the top 10 around i believe (and it is 2.5years old). there are a couple of downsides though:
- no DirectX 10 and no Pixelshader 3
- not being made anymore (but there are vista drivers and 64bit drivers)
- still cost a shedload for the age of the model

Rosa

Pruner

Mmm Ati doesn't seem bad.. I still haven't bought my graphics card yet. However something else has came to my attention, my computer only has a 300W [I think] power supply. Should I buy a graphics card that'll support it or should I go and change my power supply?

I'm not sure since, I'm not anywhere near what you'll call a heavy gamer. The games I want to support are mostly like Company of heroes, Kotor, and maybe try ones like gears of war or something.

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer

It depends a lot of what kind of system you have... i will find you some calc so you can check what kind of PSU you need for your system.
And i hope you mean by Ati their 48XX series.

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psuc ... orlite.jsp
There...
Insert all you have with best of your skill... it should give you some idea of what kind of power usage your system has.
Tho 300W has been very low amount for long time now. Also some of those PSU manufacturers are only calling their PSUs xxxW ones and actually those can give a lot less power.