Rangers...

KrezyDo

Weeder
This is my first time playing Harriers route, but was curious about how to use my Rangers to their best efficiency. I know they do a fair amount of damage against SO, but can I use them against RPG's? Or would that be costly? Any tips for harriers route?

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
Re: Rangers...

I would stay away from RPGs in general. The RPGs will kill your harriers, and the snipers will kill your rangers, since their armour will already be gone. If you want to kill SOs then mass rangers and just buy a few EMPs/harriers to keep the armour routes away. If you want to kill robos then mass harriers/EMPs and just buy a few rangers to keep the SOs and TLs away. A couple mil F-117s will also help against flak if you can get them.

Bunion

Harvester

I was informed that TLs absolutely dick on rangers, so to keep them away, would be the harrier approach, as rangers would attract the TLs

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer

Bunion said:
I was informed that TLs absolutely dick on rangers, so to keep them away, would be the harrier approach, as rangers would attract the TLs

Wrong. So very, very wrong. Rangers are nasty to fight as a TL. If any of them fire they will plough through your TLs like the Germans ploughed through France. Harriers are weak and don't get great ratios against TLs. I'd much rather fight the harriers than the rangers if I was TL.

No-Dachi

Official Helper

Toby is right. TLs can pwn harriers quite hard, but without overwhelming force I'd stay away from rangers.

Unless the RPG is either pure RPG or pure Sniper I'd stay away from they as well, as that combo is quite lethal. If I were you I'd spend 50-100 haxx0rs to see what route the majority of your targets, those around you in score (who will be your targets in a while) and those who are using you as a target has picked. Out from that knowledge you will know if it's safer to go Ranger heavy or Harrier heavy.

Personally I think I'd go ranger heavy and go kill solo SOs (make sure you get a decent ARcalc first!), but it all boils down to how you want to play, and if you play allied or solo.

And if your unable to get F-117s, make sure to stack up on a few million Flamers to keep other routes from flakking you.

Polo

Garden Designer
Super Moderator

No-Dachi said:
Toby is right.
No he isn't, Hools + TLs absolutely rape Rangers. A lot of Thug players don't use Hools though. When I played Thief, Rangers were pretty much the only thing I was killing (there were a lot of them back then).

Harriers are a lot more scary to a Thug as they fire before TLs and do a fair amount of HD. You'll either disable most of them at range and then lose a lot at close, or you won't disable enough and you'll lose a lot of your TL before you fire at range.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer

Polo said:
No-Dachi said:
Toby is right.
No he isn't, Hools + TLs absolutely rape Rangers. A lot of Thug players don't use Hools though. When I played Thief, Rangers were pretty much the only thing I was killing (there were a lot of them back then).

Harriers are a lot more scary to a Thug as they fire before TLs and do a fair amount of HD. You'll either disable most of them at range and then lose a lot at close, or you won't disable enough and you'll lose a lot of your TL before you fire at range.

Lies! Nothing but sweet, sweet lies that turn to pus in my ears! Hools are awesome, but they just keep the harriers alive until last tick when you get a bit killed, so I prefered not to send them on attacks. If I remember correctly, TLs get about 2.5:1 on rangers without the hools stripping armour for them. Attacking at 70% you just can't get enough TLs to kill all the rangers, unless he is incredibly land fat.

Plus, I'm guessing you played thief back before the price of TLs was increased? Just a small change, but it did make a difference.

Polo

Garden Designer
Super Moderator

tobapopalos said:
Polo said:
No-Dachi said:
Toby is right.

Lies! Nothing but sweet, sweet lies that turn to pus in my ears! Hools are awesome, but they just keep the harriers alive until last tick when you get a bit killed, so I prefered not to send them on attacks. If I remember correctly, TLs get about 2.5:1 on rangers without the hools stripping armour for them. Attacking at 70% you just can't get enough TLs to kill all the rangers, unless he is incredibly land fat.

Plus, I'm guessing you played thief back before the price of TLs was increased? Just a small change, but it did make a difference.
If you attack a Ranger player without Hools then you're a fool (assuming you're not a lot bigger than him, of course). Of course some Harriers will live until last tick and then you will take some damage if you stay, but you'll lose a lot less the first two ticks.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer

Polo said:
tobapopalos said:
Polo said:
No-Dachi said:
Toby is right.

If you attack a Ranger player without Hools then you're a fool (assuming you're not a lot bigger than him, of course). Of course some Harriers will live until last tick and then you will take some damage if you stay, but you'll lose a lot less the first two ticks.

I don't think it's foolish. It's just a different way of doing things. I was only ever satisfied with an attack if there were lots of 0's in my target's hack. And my way of doing it worked pretty damn well, but it was when exp was around, and most of the time my TLs had around 70% exp.

Augustus

Head Gardener

tobapopalos said:
Bunion said:

Wrong. So very, very wrong. Rangers are nasty to fight as a TL. If any of them fire they will plough through your TLs like the Germans ploughed through France. Harriers are weak and don't get great ratios against TLs. I'd much rather fight the harriers than the rangers if I was TL.

I'm in agreement with Tobapopalos on this one. I've recently been Harrier and TL and Harriers are much less of a threat to TLs than the Rangers.

KrezyDo said:
This is my first time playing Harriers route, but was curious about how to use my Rangers to their best efficiency. I know they do a fair amount of damage against SO, but can I use them against RPG's? Or would that be costly? Any tips for harriers route?

When I was Harrier I settled on a ratio of 3x EMP 4x Harrier 8x Ranger and a small amount of Flamethrowers, 50k per million Harriers is a good example. I found this ratio was a good compromise between taking out a Robo or Gargoyle player while the Rangers acted as health flak helping me survive any SA or Vamp attacks (within reason). I didn't go for loads of EMPs as they die easily and don't do much damage to anything other than PA's or Gargoyles. This ratio also gave me the option of hitting Puppet Masters and Thug routes without TLs. Once I deved F117s though, I just massed those for pure killing. Was the last round of Bounty Hunting :)