My ports being scanned?

f0xx

Landscape Designer
For a month now I am using a new ISP and the internet it is providing is quite good for its cost, my firewall (Sygate) is constantly notifying me about my ports being scanned though (more than 20 scans for the last 12 hours). I there something I should be worried about and what is the reason for those scans? Also how can I know who is actually scanning my ports and is it possible to be my ISP?

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer
Re: My ports being scanned?

Theres been a lot of bots doing scans and trying to force entrance to your modem with basic loginpass combos like admin/admin etc.. if they get in they overtake your modem and directs all route throught their own proxies and DNS servers. Being able to monitor and intrude all your communications.
Something like 20 scans a day is really really normal... my ftp server got some 300 scans in one weekend.

f0xx

Landscape Designer

BlackWolf said:
Theres been a lot of bots doing scans and trying to force entrance to your modem with basic loginpass combos like admin/admin etc.. if they get in they overtake your modem and directs all route throught their own proxies and DNS servers. Being able to monitor and intrude all your communications.

How do I prevent them from doing this? :eek:

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer

You cant stop port scanning... well you can... take your internet plug out :p
But you can make sure you have hardware firewall on, response to pinging off, and you have good login and pass on your modem and at top you have it on "you can login from lan only".