Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Do I look like I care ?

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters

SadYear

Pruner
Do any of you know of this little gem ? :idea:

http://stereopsis.com/flux/

It's simple, it's free and is available for Windows, Linux and Mac.

the website said:
f.lux makes your computer screen look like the room you're in, all the time. When the sun sets, it makes your computer look like your indoor lights. In the morning, it makes things look like sunlight again.

F.lux [...] makes the color of your computer's display adapt to the time of day, warm at night and like sunlight during the day.

Does exactly what it says on the tin. I installed it, a little skeptical at first I have to admit, but I really felt the difference, and going back now just isn't an option. I'm not sure it has any kind of impact on my sleep or anything, but my eyes *do* feel better when I'm still on the computer late at night. :)

For obvious reasons, one shouldn't use this piece of software when working on color-sensitive stuff, but otherwise I think you might wanna give it a try and spread the word to other night owls.

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
It does indeed work. The difference is immediately noticeable - You only have to try switching your screen on and off in the dark to notice that the light from your monitor doesn't "sting" your eyes as the screen normally would late at night.

Get it!

Alvestein

Garden Designer
im trying it..and sofar i hate it. why do i want my laptop to be halogen coloured?

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
im trying it..and sofar i hate it. why do i want my laptop to be halogen coloured?

It isn't about cosmetics, Alvestein, its about being able to sit in even a dark room and the screen not hurting your eyes.

Sitting up in the early hours with your screen on full brightness is

A) Bad for your eyes anyway

B) Will give a lot of people trouble sleeping - Because the brain associates light with day; Thus, the use of F.Lux, will allow you to get so sleep easier after prolonged use of your computer.

http://stereopsis.com/flux/research.html said:
The popular treatments for sleep disorders today focuses a lot on "blue light in the morning", and the consensus view seems to include avoiding blue light within two hours of sleep. Practitioners we've spoken with agree that blue light can delay the onset of sleep, but the research seems mixed about whether or not blue light affects the quality of sleep.

Max

Garden Designer
The other option is to go to bed earlier and get up earlier the next day <3

SadYear

Pruner
@Dark_Angel : Happy you like it. Like I said, I'm not sure about the medical stuff (and it's way too easy to claim 'this' or 'that' is true), but I'm happy enough that the 'stinging' (using your terms) is gone. :)

@Shadowbane : Me too. I am so glad I added that popular third option ! :mrgreen:

@davidjaiixd : that's the point. But I think you fail to notice it after a while. Also keep in mind you are supposed to adjust the warmth of the colours according to that of the light in your room. Using this piece of software in a room lit by brightful white neons isn't gonna improve anything.

@Alvestein : you could want that to stop squinting at your screen at night ? But if you don't like it, just trash it. It's not like I really care about *your* eyes, eh ? :p

@Max : another valid option !

Alvestein

Garden Designer
Sadyear my eyes are naturally squinty, i have inbuilt software to protect my eyes already! See, i was made for gaming!

atsanjose

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Sadyear my eyes are naturally squinty, i have inbuilt software to protect my eyes already! See, i was made for gaming!

NO.

you were made for loving me baby

paulstanley.jpg