Bushtarion Forums  

Go Back   Bushtarion Forums > General > General Discussions

Old 24-05-2013, 11:20 AM   #31
tobapopalos
Hydroponics Developer

tobapopalos has their photo in magazinestobapopalos has their photo in magazinestobapopalos has their photo in magazinestobapopalos has their photo in magazinestobapopalos has their photo in magazines

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtadams View Post
The PS2 was just PS One with much better graphics, and that's all it needed to be.
That's true. You get the feeling that people think a "next gen" console should be a huge leap in terms of what it can do, but sometimes that isn't possible.
Old 24-05-2013, 12:10 PM   #32
Dax
Hydroponics Developer

Dax is now available for back-page interviewsDax is now available for back-page interviewsDax is now available for back-page interviews
Send a message via MSN to Dax Send a message via Yahoo to Dax

I watched the release video, and I must say it has taken massive leaps forward. PS are in no position to challenge the 64x architectural makeup design (unless they were to team up with Apple) - And now Windows is finally integrated into Xbox O/S, it has become a beast unto itself. The system itself is fantastic, but the game element of industrial greed is just going to put me off of purchasing it.
Just to help those less technologically minded, 64x is capable of theoretically being more creatively expansive than the human brain. The limitation is obviously the 8GB of RAM (I still thought anything less than 32 would be a kop-out), but 8 is still a lot more than 0.512.

Also, Halo TV series FTW.

RETIRED FROM PLAY:
R17-37 & 39-52

http://bushtarion.com/portal/portal_...w.php?Nick=D4X
R34; 111 Credits of Uselessness [5038] / FunkyTown, Finish Rank 43

PRE-RESTART ID's:
R21; Raphael of The_TMHT [3251] / Vengeance
R18-20; Should of Swallowed
R17; PassOut of Existence [9677]
Dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #33
Dax
Hydroponics Developer

Dax is now available for back-page interviewsDax is now available for back-page interviewsDax is now available for back-page interviews

May I also add, I just downloaded and installed SmartGlass, and it's simply fantastic. Innovation like this rewards me for picking Xbox all those years ago. Where I never used to really get involved in Xbox/PS fanboy debates, I am now officially converted.

RETIRED FROM PLAY:
R17-37 & 39-52

PRE-RESTART ID's:
Old 24-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #34
timtadams
Landscape Designer

timtadams has travelled far down Repute Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax View Post
I watched the release video, and I must say it has taken massive leaps forward. PS are in no position to challenge the 64x architectural makeup design (unless they were to team up with Apple) - And now Windows is finally integrated into Xbox O/S, it has become a beast unto itself. The system itself is fantastic, but the game element of industrial greed is just going to put me off of purchasing it.
Just to help those less technologically minded, 64x is capable of theoretically being more creatively expansive than the human brain. The limitation is obviously the 8GB of RAM (I still thought anything less than 32 would be a kop-out), but 8 is still a lot more than 0.512.

Also, Halo TV series FTW.
i am not trying say all this is in anyway insignificant, I seriously don't understand, but...
what is great about integration with Windows?
and what does this 64 bit nonsense even mean? You say theoretically, but what is realistic? To me, that's like saying we have a file system that can support 1000 TB of data, but that doesn't mean you get 1000 TB, even in the next 20 years. Enlighten me please.

btw, i don't pay halo (only a bit with friends) but a TV series could be pretty wicked.

Problem?

R41: Gargantua [1,538,706]
timtadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #35
Dax
Hydroponics Developer

64x architecture allows for the use of more RAM than 32x (can only handle up to approximately 4GB). The integration of Windows substantially expands what we all recognise a games console can do. It technically becomes a limited PC system. It's mostly to handle the media elements of the console (the neat Kinect interaction is based on the touch input interaction of W8, for example).
Regarding 64x, your point is valid. However, it was just a statement as to the possibilities of 64x. It's actually a huge technological breakthrough (although it's not a 'new' thing anymore), and it has changed the limits of computing not just for gaming, but for simply everything you would use a system for.
I'd fully explain 64x, but I'm on my phone - But I'll give an easy-to-digest explanation if nobody else has done by the time I'm home tomorrow.

RETIRED FROM PLAY:
R17-37 & 39-52

PRE-RESTART ID's:
Old 25-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #36
Dax
Hydroponics Developer

A 64-bit register can store 2^64 (over 18 quintillion) different values. Hence, a processor with 64-bit memory addresses can directly access 2^64 bytes (=16 exbibytes) of byte-addressable memory.

Obviously 32x is 2^32, which would be approximately 4GB of memory processing space.

First paragraph is courtesy of Wiki. There are a tonne of other advantages to 64x, but it would take forever to explain it.

RETIRED FROM PLAY:
R17-37 & 39-52

PRE-RESTART ID's:
Old 25-05-2013, 03:02 PM   #37
Max
Garden Designer

Max is starting to catch people's eyesMax is starting to catch people's eyes

How did they accomplish such an extra-ordinary feat I wonder :O

Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #38
Twigley
Hydroponics Developer

Twigley is starting to catch people's eyesTwigley is starting to catch people's eyesTwigley is starting to catch people's eyes

Im yet to hear anything that makes me want to buy it ...
Twigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #39
Dax
Hydroponics Developer

Oh hell, I won't buy it - I'm just explaining the advances of technology that it employs. I can spend 400 and build a power tower that could accomplish far more than this Microsoft malarkey, on top of all this non-loaning and back compatibility BS. It is without shadow of a doubt more impressive than the PlayToaster is going to muster - Sony make TV's, they are not innovators of software in the league the Microsoft are, unfortunately.

RETIRED FROM PLAY:
R17-37 & 39-52

PRE-RESTART ID's:
Old 27-05-2013, 01:35 AM   #40
timtadams
Landscape Designer

Oh, i didn't realise it was in reference to 64 bit processing which is pretty much standard in computers these days. It sounded like it mustve been something new. From what i know of 64bit computing is that, yeah you can use more RAM (limit is actually closer to 3.6 GB from my experience), and it basically allows for more efficient computing? If I recall correctly, 'addresses' are longer and thus you take up more RAM, than the 32 bit equivalent, although this difference is generally pretty small...

But I decided to visit wiki

CPU: 8 core 64 bit
RAM: 8GB DDR3
GPU: Some kind of Radeon HD 7000 Series theoretically capable of 1.23 TFlops.

And apparently it can support 4k. Which is pretty useless to 99.999% of people who will buy this over the next 10 years. There are just a few issues like:
you need to spend a bazillion dollars on a 4k tv.
Find something 4k to play. Games are out of the question.
Is that blu-ray drive gonna spin fast enough to read an UHD format?
Also, current HDMI can only support UHD at 24 frames per second, ugh. And will i need a top notch cable for that? i.e. expensive? I've used el' cheapo cables that couldn't support 1080p.

i mean, if they are just saying "it's possible", yeah great, whatever. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony say the same.

And speaking of Sony, they seem to also be using an 8 core 64bit processor, rather than using a cell processor again. I guess we won't see much cluster computing with the ps4 as we did for the ps3. Also, this would mean the ps4 could not natively support previous generation games.

I do wonder why they don't do more to provide emulation capabilities. Sony haven't ruled it out, but I won't be surprised if they do. But I think it's clever what they've done with the ps3. They trimmed the fat, stripped away non important bits (slot loading, additional usb ports, polished finish). It's gonna be their next ps2, which is the best selling console of all time. So i should be able to replace my ps3 6 years down the track.

I also wonder how prices will compare when the consoles are released. The consoles seem more matched in specs this time round. Although Kinect will put price up as might ps4 GPU which seems to have better stats going for it.

Problem?

Old 27-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #41
Dark_Angel
Super Moderator
Landscape Designer

Dark_Angel has travelled far down Repute RoadDark_Angel has travelled far down Repute Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax View Post
Oh hell, I won't buy it - I'm just explaining the advances of technology that it employs. I can spend 400 and build a power tower that could accomplish far more than this Microsoft malarkey, on top of all this non-loaning and back compatibility BS. It is without shadow of a doubt more impressive than the PlayToaster is going to muster - Sony make TV's, they are not innovators of software in the league the Microsoft are, unfortunately.
I find myself in disagreement, good sir.

Sony are perfectly capable of releasing something as technically powerful in terms of the spec of the machine.

The success of their next platform will hinge on a few things:

1.) The online experience - The Sony PS3 was as good, hardware wise (if not better) than the 360. It didn't lose the console battle based on hardware. It lost out because, despite being free, PS3's online experience was vastly inferior to Xbox Live. If they can address this issue in the next console war, they're in with a fighting chance of winning, imo.

2.) Whether they will follow suit with Microsoft's strategy in attempting to disembowel the 2nd hand games market. Sony have a real chance here to be seen as the "good guys". If they reject Microsoft's attempt to monopolize the 2nd hand games market they could quite easily garner a great deal of public support. (From a wide spectrum of gamers - Younger gamers who don't have 40 to shell out on a brand new title. Anyone who has a few friends they regularly swap games with. The Highstreet - hell, this is going to mean full on war from the remaining game retailers out there. This is going to cut massively into their profits. Which console do you think they're going to be promoting hardest come release date?) ((If, and I know this is a big if, PS4 steer clear of Microsoft's strategy. They may not.))

I think they've underestimated the number of people who either like being able to borrow their friends games or visit their local high street to pick up "3 for 15" 2nd hand game deals. (That type of thing).

3.) Price. The Xbox One, with its mandatory Kinect bundle, is going to be expensive. The PS4 isn't going to bundle a mandatory extra that will add at least 100 to the price of the Xbox One (if original Kinect prices are anything to go by).

The PS4, then, has an excellent opportunity to quite substantially undercut its nemesis here.

If both consoles were released tomorrow and the price different was Kinect - it'd be a no brainer for me which I should choose. There are going to be so many people who will opt for the PS4 if its cheaper because, if they're anything like me, they'll have a real problem paying hard earned cash for Kinect when they have no intention of using it.

-

TL;DR - Don't write off the PS4. Microsoft have ****ed up adequately enough for PS4 to arrive the White Knight. If it is cheaper and boasts similar/better hardware specs (and, importantly, doesn't attempt to squish the 2nd hand games market) then I think it's in with an excellent chance this time around.

The only way they'd **** this up is having a higher RRP despite not bundling an extra while backing Microsoft's gutting of the 2nd hand games market. I can't see them doing either.
Old 27-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #42
Dax
Hydroponics Developer

Good points made (even though I still won't buy either), but I was pointing at software being the differential - Nothing else

RETIRED FROM PLAY:
R17-37 & 39-52

PRE-RESTART ID's:
Old 27-05-2013, 11:22 AM   #43
tobapopalos
Hydroponics Developer

tobapopalos has their photo in magazinestobapopalos has their photo in magazinestobapopalos has their photo in magazinestobapopalos has their photo in magazinestobapopalos has their photo in magazines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post
3.) Price. The Xbox One, with its mandatory Kinect bundle, is going to be expensive. The PS4 isn't going to bundle a mandatory extra that will add at least 100 to the price of the Xbox One (if original Kinect prices are anything to go by).

The PS4, then, has an excellent opportunity to quite substantially undercut its nemesis here.

If both consoles were released tomorrow and the price different was Kinect - it'd be a no brainer for me which I should choose. There are going to be so many people who will opt for the PS4 if its cheaper because, if they're anything like me, they'll have a real problem paying hard earned cash for Kinect when they have no intention of using it.
This. This is something I cannot understand. How may "real" gamers actually want to use a Kinect? As far as I can see it is no more than a glorified Wii, and the Wii was for kiddies and their parents. It has other uses too, but nothing I couldn't do without. Voice recognition? I'd rather just use my controller, thanks.

Making it mandatory is such a bad idea. If any accessory should've been sold separately, it is that. Now if I was going to be buying an xbox I'd be paying 100 for something I'm never going to use, and as you say, that does not sit well with me.

I think I'm going for a PS4 already, without even having seen the thing.
Old 27-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #44
timtadams
Landscape Designer

Quote:
Sony are perfectly capable of releasing something as technically powerful in terms of the spec of the machine.
PS4 specs
XBox One specs

Quote:
The Sony PS3 was as good, hardware wise (if not better) than the 360. It didn't lose the console battle based on hardware. It lost out because, despite being free, PS3's online experience was vastly inferior to Xbox Live. If they can address this issue in the next console war, they're in with a fighting chance of winning, imo.
PS3 lost the 'war'?
Looks like the tortoise wins the race, even with a 1 year late start.
But really, I'd just call it a draw.
And i reckon this new gen will be a pretty even match again, which is great for the consumer.

Problem?

Old 28-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #45
[Ninja-7]
Head Gardener

[Ninja-7] is more than a nobody... but not by much

[Ninja-7] is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Bushtarion Forums > General > General Discussions