Bushtarion Forums  

Go Back   Bushtarion Forums > General > General Discussions

Old 21-05-2013, 10:14 PM   #16
Dax
Hydroponics Developer

Dax is now available for back-page interviewsDax is now available for back-page interviewsDax is now available for back-page interviews
Send a message via MSN to Dax Send a message via Yahoo to Dax

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobapopalos View Post
Expect nothing from CoD and you won't be disappointed.
+1

But Steve, regarding Steam: Do not see it as the friendly face it makes itself up to be. Steam are the game peddler's face of change - They want to take your CD's, your manuals, and your ability to lend a game to a mate for a weekend if they aren't sure whether to buy it or not. They want to take away second hand games. They want to take everything from games that made them popular (and actually good) in the first place, in order to suck more money from it.

RETIRED FROM PLAY:
R17-37 & 39-52

http://bushtarion.com/portal/portal_...w.php?Nick=D4X
R34; 111 Credits of Uselessness [5038] / FunkyTown, Finish Rank 43

PRE-RESTART ID's:
R21; Raphael of The_TMHT [3251] / Vengeance
R18-20; Should of Swallowed
R17; PassOut of Existence [9677]
Dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 09:33 AM   #17
Pete
Pruner

Pete is an unknown quantity at this point

Tbh i liked the look of it.
People complain that its not rounded, square is more practical to put it on something/something ontop. Just because something is curved doesnt make it better.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 09:56 AM   #18
Max
Garden Designer

Max is starting to catch people's eyesMax is starting to catch people's eyes

I don't understand it's purpose tbh, I can't see what function it performs that other systems don't already provide.

It's a games system. Designed for gaming. You play games on it with a controller that you can't play on a tablet or smartphone. It should focus purely on that goal, not tv etc. Or am I missing something here?

Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #19
MattM
IRC Operator
Tree Surgeon

MattM has travelled far down Repute Road
Send a message via MSN to MattM

I think that console makers have realised that unless they have something new and innovative to the gamer, they are going to die in a PC-friendly climate.

As much as Dax is right with the main goal of Steam/Origin etc. is to make Valve/EA etc. money, there's no denying that it has made games more accessible and cheaper for the consumer (certainly cheaper than equivalent console versions) and makes them cheaper and easier to distribute for the developer. Moreover, it also makes, in most situations, it easier to play multiplayer games.

I think that's why Sony and Microsoft feel the need to make their systems do so much more. But you're right, they don't need to add things like playing films or accessing the internet a priority you buy a PC or a TV for that. They should really exploit things like Kinect. I guess that's what Nintendo went for with the new Wii- though that has not been very successful. Nor has their 3D innovations in the DS either. Tough times.
Old 22-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #20
tobapopalos
Hydroponics Developer

tobapopalos has their photo in magazinestobapopalos has their photo in magazinestobapopalos has their photo in magazinestobapopalos has their photo in magazinestobapopalos has their photo in magazines

I don't think consoles would die out. I for one hate PC gaming, and I know I'm not alone in that. A lot of people have to use computers but don't like them. For these people, consoles will always be preferable.

All they're doing is making it versatile. All computing platforms these days need to do more than just one thing. Smartphones are cameras, browsers, MP3 players, Gameboys, etc. Tablets are just smartphones with bigger screens imo.

The trouble is that if you have an Xbox you still 'need' all that other stuff as well.
Old 22-05-2013, 10:29 AM   #21
MattM
IRC Operator
Tree Surgeon

I don't necessarily believe that it should die out- there will always be a market for people who don't want to have to get a PC and Steam/Origin to play a game. They will prefer the box that just allows them to play a game.

What annoys me is profiteering by these companies in the form of not releasing certain games or engines on a PC to try to sell more consoles and then essentially releasing new version of the console which essentially introduce more elements of a PC.

It's one of the reasons I'd never get a Playstation or an xBox. At least Nintendo are innovative in their new consoles/handhelds and bring something different to the table.
Old 22-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #22
Alvestein
Tree Surgeon

Alvestein is more than a nobody... but not by much

I used to only get console to play certain games with a controller on my telly because it "felt" more right (games like ff7 etc). But with the size of modern day monitors and being able to plug in xbox controllers fairly easily and games being compatible with using them, I see no point to buy a console when my PC can do it all and more.

Alvestein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #23
Garrett2
Landscape Designer

Garrett2 is now available for back-page interviewsGarrett2 is now available for back-page interviewsGarrett2 is now available for back-page interviewsGarrett2 is now available for back-page interviews

all the console wars and microtransactions from ea/origin and at times valve/steam is why i like to fire up older games like wasteland (father/mother to the fallout series) or starflight and live happy with complete engrossing games.
Garrett2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #24
MattM
IRC Operator
Tree Surgeon

This:

https://twitter.com/PC_Gamer/status/337173955997728769

Followed by this:

https://twitter.com/PC_Gamer/status/337174412564520960
Old 23-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #25
Dark_Angel
Super Moderator
Landscape Designer

Dark_Angel has travelled far down Repute RoadDark_Angel has travelled far down Repute Road

Haha, that gave me a giggle MattM.

-

I was appalled by the press conference. Mainly for the following reasons:

1.) I do not like, nor do I want, Kinect. Simple. Thus, by bundling Kinect with "One" as a mandatory extra I am automatically paying for something I do not want. That is probably one of the biggest mistakes you can make selling anything - forcing the consumer to pay for an extra they know they won't use.

Also - Why the fudge call your console "One" (pointing to the console as an "all-in-one" device) but then include two separate devices? Mind-boggling.

2.) Tying game purchases to xbox live account. It has been confirmed, last I checked, that you must install a game to the hard drive (which is, importantly, only 500gb) and from that point on the disc cannot be used on another machine without paying a fee.

That means no borrowing your games to friends/family. It means you can't buy 2nd hand games without having to make an additional purchase to activate it via xbox live.

The reason for this is pure and simple: Greed. Microsoft, like EA (-> Online passes) have decided they're not happy with the billions generated through first-time game sales. No. They want to get their claws into the re-sale market. They want to destroy the idea of being able to borrow a friend a game.

Buying a game the first time around - at an already quite expensive price - is no longer enough for Microsoft. 40 a year subscription for Xbox Live is no longer enough for Microsoft. The huge amounts generated by DLC is no longer enough for Microsoft.

Up until now this has been just about bearable in the form EA have operated things. You buy a 2nd hand game and miss out on a few features of the game (namely online play, in most instances).

Importantly - Microsoft have gone one further. You can't play the game at all without paying a fee. The fee hasn't been discussed yet but there's been indications it could be anything up to the full price of the game.

3.) No backwards compatibility. /facepalm (Presumably because Xbox 360 games can't be force-tied to the Xbox One in the way new titles can. Meaning developers will continue to work on Xbox 360 titles and, probably, will release the same game for both One AND 360 (in much the same way as many developers kept releasing the same titles for PS2 and PS3). Not enough money in that!

4.) It looks near on the same as an Xbox elite. No originality in the thought behind the design. Its yet another, rather ugly, black box. Only with a peripheral that you also need to find space for.

5.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ekOtn7L1N0

-

TL;DR - Microsoft has been making less and less from its conventional revenue streams (Windows 8 hasn't exactly been flying off the shelves) and is looking to balance that by raping its Xbox brand for all its worth.

[edit] Kotaku Interview: (Source)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microsoft Corp VP Phil Harrison
But what if you want to bring a game disc to a friend's house and play there? You'll have to pay a fee and not just some sort of activation fee, but the actual price of that game in order to use a game's code on a friend's account. Think of it like a new game, Harrison said.
"They would be paying the same price we paid, or less?" we asked.
"Let's assume its a new game, so the answer is yes, it will be the same price," Harrison said.

Last edited by Dark_Angel; 23-05-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Dark_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #26
tobapopalos
Hydroponics Developer

tobapopalos has their photo in magazinestobapopalos has their photo in magazinestobapopalos has their photo in magazinestobapopalos has their photo in magazinestobapopalos has their photo in magazines

That is a good post, DA.
Old 23-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #27
Dax
Hydroponics Developer

Dax is now available for back-page interviewsDax is now available for back-page interviewsDax is now available for back-page interviews
Send a message via MSN to Dax Send a message via Yahoo to Dax

It pretty much puts meat on the bones of all my gripes on greed in an industry only seeking to *******ize fun.

RETIRED FROM PLAY:
R17-37 & 39-52

http://bushtarion.com/portal/portal_...w.php?Nick=D4X
R34; 111 Credits of Uselessness [5038] / FunkyTown, Finish Rank 43

PRE-RESTART ID's:
R21; Raphael of The_TMHT [3251] / Vengeance
R18-20; Should of Swallowed
R17; PassOut of Existence [9677]
Dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 12:08 PM   #28
Ell-Ess
Pruner

Ell-Ess is more than a nobody... but not by much

Call of duty has a dog now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyD1VlQdj2s
Ell-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 09:03 PM   #29
Alcibiades
Hydroponics Developer

Alcibiades has their photo in magazinesAlcibiades has their photo in magazinesAlcibiades has their photo in magazinesAlcibiades has their photo in magazines

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Tiger' View Post
I waited for CoD, expecting amazing things, then I was left down-heartened. Think I'll stick with my 360 and MW3/BO2 till the Xbox one goes down in price, along with the games.
Every Call of Duty game has been worse than the one before it. BO2 was a passable game, and not totally crappier than the one before it but it's hardly a genre busting game. CoD should never ever be the benchmark game for a system. Ever.

Also, the Xbox One looks pretty nifty, but I haven't really played my 360 in months except for the occasional spurt of gaming here and there. Nothing really manages to draw my attention on consoles anymore that PCs can't do better. I will not be going out and getting one, that's for sure, but it looks pretty cool. That being said, Microsoft seems to think I'm made of money and can afford tons of extra payments. Soooooo, yeah.

Also, PS... blech.

"Head straight down LURK MOAR, turn left on STFU, then go on to FAIL, catch the bus at GTFO and you will be right back in NOOB-VILLE by sundown kiddo..."

"Your opinion, while interesting, is completely irrelevant."

Quote:
Yes, I'm reactionary. I react when I read bullshit on forums. It's like a reflex.
Alcibiades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #30
timtadams
Landscape Designer

timtadams has travelled far down Repute Road

Quote:
There are always people who think the "next gen" should have virtual reality goggles and total immersion sexual fantasy games and integrated beer-cooling storage facilities, but seriously, it is just a games console.
I'm still waiting for this.

But I think they need to provide an actual all-in-one home entertainment system if they want to market it as that. That means DVD/Blu-ray capability. A big HDD with twin HD tuners for simultaneous TV recording, while playing games. Video input. In other words it replaces your HDD recorder fully. Also, ability to record gameplay/screenshots will bode well with many I'm sure, and then include sharing options (like Facebook/YouTube stuff).
And provide two versions. The gaming system, and the all-in-one home entertainment system. So you don't push people away who just want a gaming machine a bit cheaper.

All that and better graphics. I myself don't care much for the other stuff. The PS2 was just PS One with much better graphics, and that's all it needed to be.

Problem?

R41: Gargantua [1,538,706]
timtadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Bushtarion Forums > General > General Discussions