Bushtarion Forums  

Go Back   Bushtarion Forums > Bushtarion Related > Bushtarion Discussions

Old 16-06-2015, 10:55 PM   #1
Charlie_B
Harvester

Charlie_B is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 50 not out

Hello everyone,

I've just realised that we're playing through the dying embers of my 50th round. I hope someone's written a song to commemorate the event.

It strikes me that any of the 'old guard' still playing will have changed a lot from who they were when they first signed up to bush. Most of us were youthful students and now presumably have jobs, real lives - perhaps even families?

I've enjoyed the nostalgia of the 'Bush Greats' thread and the two things have got me wondering about all my old friends - where they are and what they're doing now.

So, this thread is your chance to indulge in a bit of shameless self-biography on the off-chance that someone recognises your name and is vaguely interested in what you've been doing since you hilariously wasted all your money on hippies instead of harvesters that time five years ago.

I suppose it's only fair that I should start:

I started playing bush during Year 12 I.T. lessons at college (thanks Zaheen!). I studied bushtarion at university with a minor in Law - in retrospect it should probably have been the other way around. Since then I've been an IT tech, English teacher and for the past few years I've been working for universities helping international students to get visas. I've spent most of my time in Sheffield with interludes in Belgium and Vietnam, but I'm currently living in London.

So, what about you?

Edit: Oh, it's actually my 51st. What a pleasant anti-climax.
Old 16-06-2015, 11:17 PM   #2
tobapopalos
Hydroponics Developer

tobapopalos has their photo in magazinestobapopalos has their photo in magazinestobapopalos has their photo in magazinestobapopalos has their photo in magazinestobapopalos has their photo in magazines

Hi Charlie!
Old 16-06-2015, 11:33 PM   #3
Charlie_B
Harvester

Charlie_B is an unknown quantity at this point

Ahoy tobes!

(and apologise to anyone I miss after this - like most of us ghosts I might be back tomorrow or I might go AWOL for months).
Old 16-06-2015, 11:48 PM   #4
Asmodeous
Super Moderator
Garden Designer

Asmodeous has travelled far down Repute RoadAsmodeous has travelled far down Repute Road

I went on to become the resident poltergeist. It's a tough gig but it has its perks.
Old 18-06-2015, 01:48 PM   #5
Alcibiades
Hydroponics Developer

Alcibiades has their photo in magazinesAlcibiades has their photo in magazinesAlcibiades has their photo in magazinesAlcibiades has their photo in magazinesAlcibiades has their photo in magazines

Charlie_B, you lunatic. Lovely to see you briefly. See you again in a few months.

I don't really remember when i started playing, sometime at the end of high school though as I went into university.

I ballsed that up pretty hard, and drifted between restaurants for about 8 or so years - while fragging toby at CoD Modern Warfare. I think I killed him more than anything else productive. I also acquired a reasonably good WoW addiction, and didn't do a lot of school work. (There seems to be a theme here thus far...)

I then got my act together, went to Radio school in 2012, got my degree two years later, and now have a full time job as a news reporter at a radio station in Moncton, New Brunswick. I started there in November of 2014.

I will say it's nice to be doing something I actually enjoy doing. Funny how that works.

My big ole future plans are to continue doing this for some time and either become a national news editor orrrrrrr a politician depending how things roll on from here.

Oh, I also have two cats, and two dogs, a wonderful girlfriend (no she's real, not a blow up doll) and no money but it's a good life. Oh and last winter we got like 16 feet of snow in about 6 weeks. Canada is as rough as people believe. The rumours are true folks, the rumours are true! I basically lived in an igloo, and needed a dogsled to get to work.

"Head straight down LURK MOAR, turn left on STFU, then go on to FAIL, catch the bus at GTFO and you will be right back in NOOB-VILLE by sundown kiddo..."

"Your opinion, while interesting, is completely irrelevant."

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobapopalos View Post
Yes, I'm reactionary. I react when I read bullshit on forums. It's like a reflex.
Alcibiades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2015, 04:07 PM   #6
Twigley
Hydroponics Developer

Twigley is starting to catch people's eyesTwigley is starting to catch people's eyesTwigley is starting to catch people's eyes

I started playing when I was 9/10 years old ... 26 in 2 weeks now lol.

1/2 years later I was behind Franny in an ICT lesson at our school and noticed he was playing the same game. When you think there were 3000 people playing from the 7 billion in the world and it just so happened him and another guy in our same year were both playing ... Mad. After that revelation there were then around 30-40 people from our school playing and i met Cal through Franny.

My mad days of leading alliances were through Uni / early days of my job when i could set an IRC highlight to Franz Ferdinand - This fire while i slept(Which i cant listen to anymore without coming out in a cold sweat) and plan 5am alliance attacks. I got way too absorbed into the game but enjoyed being the bad guy.

I have met a fair few people IRL from bush like Angela / LDA / Tim / Azzer / Zaheen / Charlie_B / Rob / Bobbin etc etc etc and i think that needs to happen again!

I graduated with a 2:1 business degree and now live with my girlfriend in our little house We have no pets but i want a degu.

I'll probally never be above 5 acres again
Twigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2015, 06:19 PM   #7
No-Dachi
Official Helper
Garden Designer

No-Dachi has started the journey down Repute Road
Send a message via MSN to No-Dachi

I think I started playing this when I was 13, although I'm not quite sure. It was in junior high, at least. My wake-up call (which I remember I had a script for so it would only work in #ViruS and #ViruS.HC) was Zeromancer - Dr. Online, and like Twigley I cannot listen to it. During my time in ViruS I went by on few hours of sleep, which I think prepped me for my future career: the army.

After high school I did a year in the army, then a year of law, then a year of travelling, before returning to the army. I've done fairly well; got through the military academy as top of the class, and I'm still in the army, although I also have a minor in political science, and a year of psychology. I've got the most beautiful wife, a demanding and cosy cat that came with her, and a bunch of energy coiled up inside a half rottweiler half border collie dog. Last year we even bought a house, so now I'm the proud owner of 350k of debt, a garden that needs way more tending than I care for, and a driveway that somehow seems to attract way more snow than everywhere around it. I regularly get drunk with DaRKGoD and Elgen (for those of you who remember them), and I'm pretty satisfied with where I am and how my life has turned out so far

So, next round (or the one after, I'm not sure if I started in r2 or 3) will actually be my fiftieth anniversary..

Nice initiative, Charlie
Old 18-06-2015, 06:59 PM   #8
LAFiN
Tree Surgeon

LAFiN has travelled far down Repute RoadLAFiN has travelled far down Repute Road

I don't remember what year round 6 was, but that's when I moved from Planetarion to Bush. I think my first HL was At the Drive-In - Enfilade, but over the years I had many as I always got burnt out on them. I think the last time I had an HL it was Deadmau5 - Ghosts and Stuff (epic song, but it still gives me nightmares).

I met up with Zane one time in Lake Tahoe way back when. I've also visited Podunk and TehPantz for a round start some years back. Those two are some goofy guys, but awesome.

Now days I work for the Post Office in my hometown. No wife, no kids, no pets, but a few ladies to keep me company. Still living in the most beautiful area in the US (IMO, Lake Tahoe, CA/NV). Started brewing my own beer a couple years back, and now I'm also an avid disc golfer and frequently play tournaments.
LAFiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2015, 10:29 PM   #9
tobapopalos
Hydroponics Developer

tobapopalos has their photo in magazinestobapopalos has their photo in magazinestobapopalos has their photo in magazinestobapopalos has their photo in magazinestobapopalos has their photo in magazines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post
while fragging toby at CoD Modern Warfare. I think I killed him more than anything else productive.
It should be noted that all these fraggings occurred when we were on the same team, just so people don't get the wrong idea.
Old 19-06-2015, 01:42 AM   #10
Alcibiades
Hydroponics Developer

Alcibiades has their photo in magazinesAlcibiades has their photo in magazinesAlcibiades has their photo in magazinesAlcibiades has their photo in magazinesAlcibiades has their photo in magazines

Quote:
Quote:
while fragging toby at CoD Modern Warfare. I think I killed him more than anything else productive.
It should be noted that all these fraggings occurred when we were on the same team, just so people don't get the wrong idea.
Oh yeah. Totally. I didn't mean to give the wrong impression. I am terrible at games.

"Head straight down LURK MOAR, turn left on STFU, then go on to FAIL, catch the bus at GTFO and you will be right back in NOOB-VILLE by sundown kiddo..."

Quote:
Yes, I'm reactionary. I react when I read bullshit on forums. It's like a reflex.
Old 19-06-2015, 03:32 AM   #11
tobapopalos
Hydroponics Developer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Oh yeah. Totally. I didn't mean to give the wrong impression. I am terrible at games.
It was still fun though
Old 20-06-2015, 01:40 AM   #12
Alcibiades
Hydroponics Developer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It was still fun though
There was also that time we played.... ****, some racing car game, and I kept running into you with like a quarter million pound Koenigsegg racecar. That was a one off embarrassment. After that we just stuck to me accidentally killing you in MW

Quote:
Old 20-06-2015, 05:43 AM   #13
Benneh
Super Moderator
Tree Surgeon

Benneh has travelled far down Repute Road

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It was still fun though
There was also that time we played.... ****, some racing car game, and I kept running into you with like a quarter million pound Koenigsegg racecar. That was a one off embarrassment. After that we just stuck to me accidentally killing you in MW
Iirc I played CoD with both of you fun times.

Recents:
R46: DothMotherKnowYouWearethHerDrapes [4559] - Last Action Heroes
R47:trueLAD [319] / Itzcoliuhqui [9623] - Xipetotec (Leader)
R48: Let's get it right this time. [7792] - MADAFAKA (Leader)
R49: Tigers dutty whore. [1601] - Adramalech (Co-Lead)
R53: Where is Azzer [8090] - TAP
R54: Knock Knock. Here comes the cock. [349] - Antisback's Peons (Inactive Leader)
R57: Oh what a Nightmare [9987] - Thai Army Of One
Benneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 11:49 AM   #14
'Tiger'
Landscape Designer

'Tiger' has travelled far down Repute Road

I played with Toby and Twiglet I think...Ofc I was the better player, just like Fifa.

9-0 Twigley, remember that?
'Tiger' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 12:25 PM   #15
Twigley
Hydroponics Developer

Twigley is starting to catch people's eyesTwigley is starting to catch people's eyesTwigley is starting to catch people's eyes

9? I thought it was 10. Or was that the next one which I beat you 10-1. Noobiger
Twigley is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Bushtarion Forums > Bushtarion Related > Bushtarion Discussions