Bushtarion Forums  

Go Back   Bushtarion Forums > Bushtarion Related > Gripes

Old 13-08-2010, 03:50 PM   #1
TheSharpOne
Weeder

TheSharpOne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Solo Play

Basically I've been zero'd 4 or 5 times and it seems impossible to actually play this game. I keep a good balance of units, low amount of acres compared to those around me and yet someone will come in as I've built up and wipe 2/3 of my score off in one attack with no help from anti-rape. 3 or 4 days later I've rebuilt back to where I was and it happens again. I don't mind being attacked but to lose 4 days worth of progress constantly seems pointless and unfun.
TheSharpOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 04:18 PM   #2
Dimitar
Landscape Designer

Dimitar is now available for back-page interviewsDimitar is now available for back-page interviewsDimitar is now available for back-page interviews

define a good balance of units
Dimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
TheSharpOne
Weeder

Well what I think's a good balance of units though I'm sure it's not the optimal ratio's. I have(had) a mix of flak, lethals, NLD etc. None of it seemed to matter though as most of it was dead in the first tick of combat before my CW's fired.
Old 13-08-2010, 05:26 PM   #4
Zaheen
BANNED
Garden Designer

Zaheen is more than a nobody... but not by much

It's what happens to most solo players unless you spend your life on the game and run...

If it only ever happens in your sleep (does for me), then I'd suggest you hitting sleep mode at night.

If you really need the seeds then expect to be wiped again.
Zaheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 05:30 PM   #5
TheSharpOne
Weeder

I don't mind getting attacked and losing some units but it seems excessive to lose so much in 1 attack, it doesn't give me chance to attack back or do anything and this happens every time with no AR. You just shouldn't be able to lose that many units in 1 attack.
Old 13-08-2010, 05:41 PM   #6
Zaheen
BANNED
Garden Designer

Well there is insurance, and of course AR to let you rebuild - but you've already mentioned that.

The same happens to me, but it usually happens when I'm in the top 50, I get ***** slapped down to the 200's in my sleep.

You have 5 options really...

-Get some NAPs (and hope they defend you)
-Deal with it
-Hit sleep
-Never sleep
-Join an alliance
Old 13-08-2010, 05:49 PM   #7
Davs
Garden Designer

Davs has travelled far down Repute Road

Although it shouldn't be, your main problem here is that you're playing solo with robotics. Whilst it's a very powerful route, capable of doing a lot of damage, it is very vulnerable against a few other routes (strikers and RPGs, for example). This weakness is ten times worse when you're on your own with no one to cover your back when you're offline.
The only real advise I can give is pretty much covered by Zaheen. Next round if you're still going to be solo I'd recommend trying out thug route as its pretty cheap but can still kill quite a bit - making it easy to rebuild if you do get zeroed. The only downside being that it, to a certain degree, requires you to purchase Terrorist Leaders.

[17:50] <Ogluk> we all have bad days
[17:50] <Hobbezak> I don't. :/
[17:50] <Hobbezak> I only have awesome days.
[17:50] <Hobbezak> So does Davs.
[17:51] <Elle> Davs is 10x more awesome than you though Hobbs
Davs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 05:57 PM   #8
TheSharpOne
Weeder

Maybe it should just be that you can only lose 20-35% of your units in a fight and that the rest of your units are injured, possibly for a longer period of time than at present. Then an attack would mean something but wouldn't be totally devastating and would encourage people to be more active rather than camp seeds/money if they couldn't lose everything in 1 go.
Old 13-08-2010, 05:59 PM   #9
TheSharpOne
Weeder

Yeah strikers and RPG's and Apache's seem to be the main weakness. I don't think it's a great idea that routes are somewhat rock/paper/scissor to each other if that is the case, I think it should be your choice of units within a tech route which decide whether you have an advantage or not.
Old 13-08-2010, 06:08 PM   #10
Zaheen
BANNED
Garden Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSharpOne View Post
Yeah strikers and RPG's and Apache's seem to be the main weakness. I don't think it's a great idea that routes are somewhat rock/paper/scissor to each other if that is the case, I think it should be your choice of units within a tech route which decide whether you have an advantage or not.
Unfortunately for you, the game has been out for a number of years and it's not going to be updated much. Although I agree with your ideas and suggestions, it's like this for a reason.

Robotics is probably one of my favourite routes, but the best solo route has to be Special Ops. Stealth units means nobody ever knows what you have until they attack you, making it hard for somebody to clean you out in one go (a few exceptions of course).

Don't know what else to say really, solo isn't easy - the only other option you have is kill them all before they kill you, but it's too late for that, and you can't kill everyone =]

P.S. Welcome to the forums
Old 13-08-2010, 06:14 PM   #11
TheSharpOne
Weeder

Yeah I played round's 1 - 5 or something and did quite well, thought I'd come back and play a bit more casually. Just seems to be hard playing solo. Is Azzer active these days? He used to take suggestions on board.

BTW Thanks for the advice I'll probably try Special Ops next round.

Last edited by Weeble; 14-08-2010 at 07:25 PM. Reason: mergey mergey
Old 13-08-2010, 09:39 PM   #12
Deloitte
Pruner

Deloitte is an unknown quantity at this point

When playing solo you have to decide what style of play you want. Its hard to build a reasonable army to deal with incomings and be able to attack at the same time.

Offensive play means you are building mainly killing units. Reverse obviously for defensive play.

Since you have 3 months to play, you have enough time to play both styles. But my advice would be to build up massive defenses at the start and not worry about having a killing army. Imagine what you defenses you can build after a solid month. Next month you can switch to building lethals.

Sleep mode would have to be requirement if you wish to stay alive longer but keep in mind, determined attackers will find you.

Point to this all, there is not a fool-proof method and there shouldn't be one. Players are smart enough to figure out your AR and send the max units to kill and get your land. Others just send mobs to kill. Either way, you will always have that risk and its that risk you have to be aware of...always.
Deloitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2010, 07:20 AM   #13
timthetyrant
Head Gardener

timthetyrant is more than a nobody... but not by much

you could just mass SDs, they seem to survive pretty well, and are great for offense/defence

from fun->not so fun
dRAGE QUIT,Pee-wee's Playhouse,RSF,CoyoteUgly,YochokoWantsChuChu,Alcoholics Anonymous,Grandes Cojones,BlondeAngels,Old Farts,Noobs,The Turtle Moves, ThermodynamicTorch......Hypnotoad
timthetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2010, 04:39 PM   #14
Alvestein
Tree Surgeon

Alvestein is more than a nobody... but not by much

as davs has pointed out, the problem is robo route. with everything being armour based you're basically mince meat to RPG/Strikers. BUT i've found playing as an rpg even if i see a solo robo, i usually won't attack them if they've got either Mass shields (basically covering your TDs and CWs giving them time to fire on my squishy rpgs) or if you've got mass nanos (these will deter rpgs who on the whole won't have much HD around the higher ranks)

I remember that Azzer said solo was made to be harder than allied play because bushtarion as a whole is supposed to be a team game.

Alvestein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2010, 06:59 PM   #15
Zaheen
BANNED
Garden Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timthetyrant View Post
you could just mass SDs, they seem to survive pretty well, and are great for offense/defence
But what is the point in that?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Bushtarion Forums > Bushtarion Related > Gripes