Bushtarion Forums  

Go Back   Bushtarion Forums > General > Computers and Games

Old 27-08-2008, 06:01 PM   #31
Maxi
Super Moderator
Head Gardener

Maxi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Free and Essential Applications

Check if the addon is compatible with your version of Firefox, 2 or 3. Download the file to your desktop, then open it, or Reinstall Firefox. Does it happen with all addons?

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting " . . . . . Holy **** . . . . . . . what a ride!"
Maxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2008, 12:55 PM   #32
Chezz
Harvester

Chezz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Free and Essential Applications

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevey
because: Unexpected installation error
Review the Error Console log for more details.
As the error message says, check the error console (Tools --> Error Console), and google it. Hopefully it will help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxi
Check if the addon is compatible with your version of Firefox, 2 or 3. Download the file to your desktop, then open it, or Reinstall Firefox. Does it happen with all addons?
I've checked the file he's stated, I'm quite sure its works for any version from Firefox 2 to 3. So its probably not the version's problem.
Chezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:34 PM   #33
Madmeater
Harvester

Madmeater is more than a nobody... but not by much

Here's a very good tool I use to remove programs from my system
Revo
It performs a clean uninstallation by analysing the program, removing it and searching your HDD and registry for any remnants of the software.

It also features hunter mode, which places a crosshair on your screen which you can then drag over any icon/window/disktray icon and it will identify the software and offer to uninstall it from your system.

I've found it really useful for stubborn products such as norton which my friends still insist on using =/

Round 32: Chainsaw brutality_Tornado strength//four~20
Round 31: Madmeater//I'm On A Boat!
Played since round 31... so I suppose I'm a noob?
Madmeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2010, 02:18 AM   #34
Kingdroid
Head Gardener

Kingdroid has started the journey down Repute Road
Send a message via MSN to Kingdroid

ZoneAlarm sucks

It was impossible to configure, and when I uninstalled it, it stuck around
Kingdroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:15 PM   #35
Kingdroid
Head Gardener

Also, Avast and AVG now offer 30-day trials only, no more indefinite free use.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:43 AM   #36
timtadams
Landscape Designer

timtadams has travelled far down Repute Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingdroid View Post
hmmm, im not sure of this. How did you come by this information? I google "AVG free" and first link is them. They have noticable: 'download trial' and 'buy AVG', but above, you can still to choose to download AVG Free:

http://free.avg.com/au-en/download-a...s-free-edition

Anyway, an essential download which immediately came to mind:

K-Lite Codec Pack

Download this and you can play pretty much anything. It has the ffdshow which BW recommended in an earlier post. I also contains Media Player Classic Homecinema with standard and full versions (not basic though)

Just an aside, but I prefer to use WMP v10. I did have winamp, but preferred WMP due to its better ease of use with regard to playlists and navigating through music. This was yeaaars ago though, so i guess i will see what theyve done.

I also prefer WMP10 over WMP11 due to the fact WMP10 has the navigation menu on the left, which allows you to expand artists, giving you the lists of artists, whereas in WMP11 no such list drops down, rather all artists show up in the main window, under alphabetical headings. Anyone else find this, or is it just me?

Problem?

R41: Gargantua [1,538,706]
timtadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:28 PM   #37
tomtree
Head Gardener

tomtree is an unknown quantity at this point

anyone know any good/free firewall and antivirus for macs?

Discworld FTW!
tomtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 07:57 AM   #38
atsanjose
Super Moderator
Landscape Designer

atsanjose has travelled far down Repute Road
Send a message via MSN to atsanjose

Quote:
avast is still free

I tried baking a pie on your flame, but it just wasn't hot enough.
atsanjose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:13 AM   #39
Kingdroid
Head Gardener

Well, impart upon me this secret knowledge, I downloaded the 'free' version of both from the site (and yes, no mention of trials on either) and at 30 days they both stopped working and prompted me to buy.

Also, I have the Comodo firewall and antivirus. Will the Comodo antivrus be fine, or should I get avast too? the Comodo one has no scan function...
Old 11-11-2010, 12:41 PM   #40
timtadams
Landscape Designer

Quote:
Well, impart upon me this secret knowledge, I downloaded the 'free' version of both from the site (and yes, no mention of trials on either) and at 30 days they both stopped working and prompted me to buy.

Also, I have the Comodo firewall and antivirus. Will the Comodo antivrus be fine, or should I get avast too? the Comodo one has no scan function...
Maybe cause you only have the COMODO firewall and not antivirus?...i dunno though, i didnt even know about COMODO antivirus XD

Anyway, i have and am using AVG Free right now. Yes, i now sometimes get popups prompting me to get the full version, but i just close it every time. No problems. I can still use the free version

[edit]are you sure its not working?

Problem?

Old 11-11-2010, 12:49 PM   #41
atsanjose
Super Moderator
Landscape Designer

Quote:

1. your OS?
2. Did you register (thats also free)
Quote:
4. How do I register avast! Free Antivirus 5.0?
Open the avast! Free Antivirus 5.0 interface and click the 'MAINTENANCE' tab. Next click 'Registration' and then 'Register now'. A new window with the registration form will open. Enter the required details into the form fields and then click 'Register for free license'.

avast! Free Antivirus 5.0 can now continue to be used for 12 months and you will continue to receive automatic updates to both the program and your virus definitions. At the end of that time, it will be necessary simply to register for a new free license.
3. Did you say youre using it for home use only?
4. you installed avast! Free Antivirus 5.0?

Old 11-11-2010, 12:59 PM   #42
timtadams
Landscape Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsanjose View Post
Quote:

1. your OS?
Quote:
Open the avast! Free Antivirus 5.0 interface and click the 'MAINTENANCE' tab. Next click 'Registration' and then 'Register now'. A new window with the registration form will open. Enter the required details into the form fields and then click 'Register for free license'.

avast! Free Antivirus 5.0 can now continue to be used for 12 months and you will continue to receive automatic updates to both the program and your virus definitions. At the end of that time, it will be necessary simply to register for a new free license.
I have not registered (If i did im sure i would not be able to click 'Register AVG-antivirus Free' from the Help menu)

Problem?

Old 11-11-2010, 01:35 PM   #43
atsanjose
Super Moderator
Landscape Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtadams View Post
Quote:
Quote:

1. your OS?
Quote:

I have not registered (If i did im sure i would not be able to click 'Register AVG-antivirus Free' from the Help menu)
avast! not crappy avg

Old 11-11-2010, 01:45 PM   #44
timtadams
Landscape Designer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

1. your OS?
Quote:

avast! not crappy avg
I keep hearing that Avast > AVG

Its funny you should say that, because my friend had a trojan on his memory stick, and when he stuck it in my computer AVG detected it so we were able to remove it. Yet he has Avast...

...whatdya think?

Problem?

Old 11-11-2010, 02:37 PM   #45
atsanjose
Super Moderator
Landscape Designer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

1. your OS?
Quote:

avast! not crappy avg
I keep hearing that Avast > AVG

Its funny you should say that, because my friend had a trojan on his memory stick, and when he stuck it in my computer AVG detected it so we were able to remove it. Yet he has Avast...

...whatdya think?
your friend needs more cowbell

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Bushtarion Forums > General > Computers and Games